New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Above ground pond

Started by The Pond Boy, October 15, 2007, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pond Boy

Hi Everyone,

I had a boot at the Carp Fair and my show setup was an above ground pond. Got a lot of comments of visitors who liked it a lot. So I will build this fall an 1/2 above ground pond in my front yard of 16' x 16' with in the middle an island with a tree. Will build it with special concrete blocks, with geo and a liner inside and then boulders/riverstone to cover the liner. The walls will be high 12" above the ground and the pond will be 24" deep in the middle. So it will be part in the ground and part above the ground. In my opinion a 1/2 above ground pond will be not frozen solid if you make it big enough. To keep the fish alive in the winter, you need to do the same things as a in ground pond.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

Fishnut

That sounds nice!  Do you have a pic of the display pond by any chance?

The Pond Boy

Quote from: Fishnut on October 16, 2007, 11:07:30 AM

Hi,

Yes I have a lot of pictures. but I don't know how to upload the pics.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

The Pond Boy

Quote from: Fishnut on October 16, 2007, 11:07:30 AM

Here they are, thanks to the fast reply from babblefish1960. One day we will be friends ;).
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fishnut

Very nice!!!  That's what we want to do, only 3' deep.  Since this was a temporary display, how did you prevent the weight of the water from spreading the blocks away without using concrete or glue?  Is there anything under the liner other than the grass?

Sue

Thanks for posting the photos! It looks great.
I also had a question. What is the red-leaf plant in the corner of the pond? I saw one of those on the pond tour, this summer but the owners didn't know what it was either.

busdriver

Anyone ever thought of turning an above ground pool into a pond?
Now that would be something to see!
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Fishnut

That's exactly what we would love to do!  When we were looking at houses last year we saw a couple of places with a pool in the back yard.  Since neither of us want to bother with swimming, we figured it would look great with some nice large koi and goldfish swimming around in it!  Minus the chlorine ofcourse :)

The Pond Boy

Quote from: busdriver on October 17, 2007, 06:20:06 PM
Anyone ever thought of turning an above ground pool into a pond?
Now that would be something to see!

Hi,

I have seen inground pools and above ground pools converted to ponds. It works but you don't have shelves for your plants. Both are fine for overwintering the fish.
Thanks,

Greg

The Pond Boy

Quote from: Fishnut on October 17, 2007, 12:53:52 PM
Very nice!!!  That's what we want to do, only 3' deep.  Since this was a temporary display, how did you prevent the weight of the water from spreading the blocks away without using concrete or glue?  Is there anything under the liner other than the grass?

Hi,

The blocks were not glued together and the water isn't that strong to push the stones away. In a normal 1/2 above ground pond, I use an other type of blocks and will glue them together otherwise it will not stay up in the winter. If you need help, drop me a line.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

The Pond Boy

Quote from: Sue on October 17, 2007, 01:00:31 PM
Thanks for posting the photos! It looks great.
I also had a question. What is the red-leaf plant in the corner of the pond? I saw one of those on the pond tour, this summer but the owners didn't know what it was either.

Sue,

I don't know the name of the plant, but I will have them available in the spring. If I can find the name, I will update you. If you are interested in the plant, drop me a line.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

busdriver

Quote from: The Pond Boy on October 17, 2007, 10:47:35 PM
Hi,

I have seen inground pools and above ground pools converted to ponds. It works but you don't have shelves for your plants. Both are fine for overwintering the fish.
Thanks,

Greg
I saw an in-ground pool turned into a pond, I saw it in the magazine Mother Earth News, it actually looked like a swimming hole, it had fish in it and used a natual filtering system, I think they used it as a skating rink in the winter time.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

renadia

Wow that's really nice, glad you posted some pictures, can't wait to see what your going to built next year!
My problem with plants is its mostly in the shade. But I think I'm going to change the design next year. We ended up having a good deal on a black plastic preshapedpond but now I wish I had stuck with my plan of a liner. I do have a big liner that was used to built our huge waterfall  :D
I guess I will take many pictures and try to come up the THE plan this winter  ;D

Good work Pond Boy!

The Pond Boy

Hi,

Thanks you all for the praises. :P I am trying to do a good job on all the ponds I build and on the maintenance I do. It isn't always easy. I have seen a lot of "home" build pond. Some are very nice and some are very bad build because lack of knowledge. There are many pond owners who start with a small home build pond and after a couple of years they buy a professional build pond. I went this summer for a week to Chicago to Pondomonium. This is a one week Pond College organised by Aquascape. I learned there a lot on how to build ponds, pondless waterfalls, plants and fish. Will go for sure next year again. If there are any questions how to build a pond, don't hesitate to ask for help.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

Fishnut

Thanks for the offer Greg.  I'll definitely be picking your brains in the spring!

kennyman

Aquascape/nursery-pro has a  good system. I got pretty familiar with their product working for an authorized dealer for a few years. The above grade ponds can be a real pain. I did a bowlshaped one in the middle of an interlock patio. Drove me nuts trying to leave this hole in the middle of my freshly laid interlock.

Good luck pondboy. I'm glad you love to dive into your work so much  ;)

beowulf

I finally found it here is an 8 foot x 8 x 4 above ground pond.......here is the kicker, it is in the guys basement!!!

http://www.aquamojo.com/pond.html

Talk about fish rooms the guys has the following

Originally I planned on only housing the pond in the basement.  Currently I have a 150 & a 300 gallon tank, 4 - 90 gallon tanks, 4 - 75 gallon tanks, 4 - 55 gallon tanks, and a 30 gallon fry tank.  One of my biggest pleasures is going down to the "Fish Cave" after a hard day at work and just enjoying the fish.  I have to run a dehumidifier 24/7  for obvious reasons.  But having it all in one area makes it all the easier to enjoy.

Vizerdrix

PondBoy, that is absolutely GORGEOUS!  I love it! :D  Now, how suitable would this set-up be for an INDOOR pond?  Do you have the plans for it? 

Would you like to build one for me for your portfolio?!? (JOKING!!!) :D

The Pond Boy

Quote from: Vizerdrix on October 27, 2007, 08:41:02 AM
PondBoy, that is absolutely GORGEOUS!  I love it! :D  Now, how suitable would this set-up be for an INDOOR pond?  Do you have the plans for it? 

Would you like to build one for me for your portfolio?!? (JOKING!!!) :D

Thanks, to build an indoor pond is easy. If you want any help, please drop a line. To build an outdoor 1/2 above ground pond is less easy, but possible. As I said earlier I will build one in my front yard from 16' x 16' with an island and a tree in the middle. Will be on the pond tour next year, so anyone who is interested can come out.
Thanks,

Greg

The Pond Boy

Quote from: beowulf on October 26, 2007, 09:28:33 PM

Originally I planned on only housing the pond in the basement.  Currently I have a 150 & a 300 gallon tank, 4 - 90 gallon tanks, 4 - 75 gallon tanks, 4 - 55 gallon tanks, and a 30 gallon fry tank.  One of my biggest pleasures is going down to the "Fish Cave" after a hard day at work and just enjoying the fish.  I have to run a dehumidifier 24/7  for obvious reasons.  But having it all in one area makes it all the easier to enjoy.

Hi,

To make an "pond" in the basement is easy. If you want some help, please drop me a line.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg