New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New pond (NEW PICS)today

Started by angelfreak, May 18, 2008, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelfreak

Hi all,

I have been working on the yard latley like crazy and finished the pond. So I thought I would share some new pics. Enjoy

[attachment deleted by admin]

The Pond Boy

Hi,

If I saw it right, did you use pressure treaded wood for the outside wall and for the top? This can Poisson your fish. Have seen ponds with pressure treaded wood what killed all the fish, until they changed it to cedar.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com

angelfish

I would not worry about the pressure treated  wood as I am sure there  be a liner between the fish and the wood   ;) 

Laura

That looks like a great space - congratulations on finishing it!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

The Pond Boy

Anglefish,

Most likely the fountain will give splash on the op pressure treated wood. For sure rain does. There is a lot of poisoning treasure treated wood still available. I hope for him that he will have no problem with it. If you know the risk, you will not use any reassure treated wood above a pond. The fish don't deserve to be poisoned.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com

Fishnut

That's a cute pond.  We're making one similar, only we're using a rubbermaid stock tank and cedar. 

The pond boy is right about the treated wood.  Your fish are not safe just because there is a liner.  Did you use the treated wood on the top?  If so, how will your fish be protected from the harsh chemicals dripping in their water?  Perhaps take the wood on the rim of the pond off and replace it with a more natural wood like cedar or maybe some stone?.  As long as the liner is completely covering the rest of it with no chanse water can drip from treated wood into water, the fish won't be poisoned.

It looks like you spent a lot of time building the pond  It really does look great.  Just do one more tweek and it will be an oasis for the fish too :)

angelfreak

Thanks all for the concern and comments, however I am not worried about the Pt wood for the small amout that is above the liner is also sloped to run away from the pond. The small amount of leeching from this should not be a concern. I have had a pond in the past with a PT bridge over it, much more wood than this with no affect at all.

angelfreak

the pond lights are in so here is a pic at nite all lit up

Nerine

looks really nice! :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

sdivell

I'll assume you got your PT lumber at home depot or rona and if thats the case then this applies

"Wood preservatives used at the commercial treating plant are concentrated liquids, but treated wood contains only a small amount of wood preservatives. For example, ACQ pressure treated wood generally contains only 0.75% to 1.2% of wood preservative; the rest of the lumber is just wood. Concentrations in pressure treated wood for uses such as preserved wood foundations, marine pilings or utility poles vary and will be higher than that in wood used for residential applications."

the PT lumber available to most of the public is a very low concentration and is generally safe.

Your pond looks great btw.

angelfreak

Thanks Scott for adding that info, as a carpenter by trade I knew the  percentages were low just didnt know exact numbers.

As for the fish they are all still happy and healthy as well as all plants are growing well and water is running crystal clear.

also 2 of my large Loi came from a LFS, theres became sick after I purchased mine and its been a week since I fouund out and mine are still showing no signs of illness

again thanks for all the worries and concerns, but all is well so all thats left to do is sit back and enjoy the fishes,  :)

Jewlye

Wow, what a great idea!

You could install one of those on a rental property. One day, maybe.  ::)

angelfreak

I rent here that is why I went this way, I took me only one evening

Here are a few pics from this afternoon, enjoy

notice the plant growth