New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fantails in ponds

Started by Laura, March 08, 2009, 11:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Does anyone keep fantails in ponds?  We have some very active racoons in our neighbourhood and I suspect my fatties would end up as delicious snacks.

It's not a big pond - only 50 gallons, so limited hiding room.  The reason I'm asking is that a neighbour keeps some goldies in a small pond, so there may be some hope of success.

Any other opinions, or do you think I would just make our local racoons very happy?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

bergenm

I have kept them in whiskey barrels with liners with out any problem. Although I suspect if a raccoon was determined enough he could fish them out... Garter Snakes or frogs would be another concern - I have found them both hanging around the ponds...
Michael

Fishnut

They'll become raccoon snacks.  Raccoons aren't shy to put their hands in the water and feel around for sleeping fish.  With the limited movement abilities of fatties I would be too afraid to keep them outside unless they were really well protected.

I have some neighbourhood raccoons visit my pond nightly in the summer and fall.  In the beginning of spring I had 3 small comets in an 18" deep pond.  Thankfully I put a mesh over the top to prevent critters from getting the fish because that mesh was messed up more and more every night by the raccoons trying to catch them.  I think if the raccoons were able to get past the mesh, my goldfish would have been snacks.  The new pond replaced the small one in late spring, standing 24" high and I covered it in mesh as well.  The raccoons STILL messed it up every night but because it was so deep the koi and goldfish stayed completely out of reach.

It seems that the raccoons visit nightly because they discovered a pond with fish initially. It just became another stop on their scavenging stroll around the neighbourhood.  This coming season, we're building (or having built) a 10' x 10' x 3' pond out of bricks.  I'm still going to have the mesh covering it because it prevents herons and other predators from getting at the fish but I'm also going to find a way to convince my husband that an electrical fence around the pond is necessary 8).  I'll sit in the house with a window open listening for the crack and screech of a raccoon getting deterred  8).

MWAHAHAHA 8)

White Lightning

Ah yes.....pond season is here. I built a pond last year and have wintered a few comets and a shubunkin over the winter. I am wanting to try some koi this summer but I'm really worried about the nightly racoon visit. I know that it's inevitable so I am considering the mesh covering as well. I hate racoons!

The Pond Boy

Hi,

It happens not that often that racoons catch and eat fish from a pond. I live in racoon country, and in the summer they are not that bad. It happened once that they got one koi, 2 years ago, eat the head and left the other parts of the fish behind. In the winter they empty all the bird feeders. Racoons don't like to become wet, so they will sit on the side and wait until a fish comes that close that they can catch it. From my experience, I heard it only a coupl eof times that they did. So far heard it never from my clients.

Fantails are doing fine in a pond. In our pond we have them already for 4 years and also they will survive the winter.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy

Fishnut

I'm sorry to contradict you Pond Boy, but Raccoons absolutely DON'T mind getting wet.  They sit in the shallows sometimes, rooting for things to eat and have no problems reaching into a pond with their hands and arms submerged.

http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/animals/raccoons.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nerine

I also have to agree with Fishnut...the little jerks are just that! Jerks!! They even don't mind walking into your house to help themselves to dog food. If they are in the mood, don't be shocked at what these creatures will do!!

I've lost several fish to them in the past!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Quote from: Nerine on March 14, 2009, 11:49:48 PM
I also have to agree with Fishnut...the little jerks are just that! Jerks!! They even don't mind walking into your house to help themselves to dog food. If they are in the mood, don't be shocked at what these creatures will do!!

I've lost several fish to them in the past!

I found One When I was a child taking a dip in my pool, and I have also lost many fish to them maybe 20

Fishnut

I'll have a party at my place for the first evening the electric fence is turned on around my pond.  All of us who have lost fish to these little jerks can sit in the house with the patio door open while we take joy in the shrieking of the zapping deterrence! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, that was total thread jacking, but my husband is finally entertaining the idea of an electric fence!! :D

White Lightning

Reading this post has got me very leary on putting any koi in the pond ......or even any fish for that matter. Guess I will have to wait and see if the little buggers show up this year.

The Pond Boy

Hi,

As what I said, general racoons don't like to become wet. They will sit on the side and as far as I know never jump in your pond. For sure some pond owners have problems with racoons, other with the birds who take then. The avarage pond owner hasn't lots of problems with the fish in their pond. I am also member of the Greater Ottawa Water Garden Society, www.ottawaponds.ca and also they have not much problems. As always the "bad experience are on the table.
Thanks,

Greg

Laura

Thanks all for the feedback.  I know our local racoons mucked about in the pond nearly every night even pulling out the powerhead on occasion - they're a bit of a PITA, but I figure they've got a right to a drink and a chance at dinner  ;).

I don't think they got any of my minnows last year, but they tended to head to the bottom of the pond when someone/thing approached, whereas I think my fatties would not be so bright.

Pondboy - That's interesting you could overwinter them - I thought they need warmer temps than commons.

Whitelightning - that's a nice pond but doesn't look bigger than 100 gals.  I would encourage you to not get koi - they got so darned big and need a huge pond.  Could you share the details of your pond depth and what heater you used?  I was happy to hear on your other thread that they made it through the winter.

Thanks again for all the experiences and ideas.

Cheers,
Laura

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

KLKelly

I wouldn't overwinter a fantail.  most fantails are not as hardy and this would be a real test to see if you have hardy ones.

If I look at mine funny they get sick.  I've even bought an RO unit for them.

Also keep in mind racoons carry a lot of nasty bugs and some can be transferred to humans.  I wouldn't want my hands where a racoons hands were ;) And I used to volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary raising racoons.