New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish only Tank ?

Started by justa#, April 23, 2011, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justa#

I'm looking at setting up a 220 gallon aquarium.
Not new to the hobby, just back from some time away from it.

Still undecided between the Gibberosa and a fish only Marine tank.
Leaning toward the marine fish as they are not as timid as the Gibberosas.

( In the event I should change my mind at any point).
I think I can quickly and easily convert the tank from one to the other without any complications with either of these filters.

My question is would the eheim 3, model 2080 be sufficient for a "Marine" fish only tank?
It is not my intention to put any live rock ... in this tank.
I do however plan on putting in many of my prize corals from back in the days when you could buy large pieces @ local pet stores.
Very colorful, and a few rather large pieces.

Thanks in advance for any replies, as usual this would be the best place to get informed.

Darth

okay so my personal opinion I would not use the canister at all if I did it would be just for carbon canisters are not common in marine tanks, I would sell it and use that money for a sump or skimmer or light fixture, you say you are not gonna p;t live rick in the tank just coral? The live rovk is going to be your filtration I don't see you being too successful with no live rock JMO though
and if you are not going to get coral and stick with fish only I would still drop the canister unless you are going to run carbon only

JetJumper

I am confused.. you say Fish only tank, but then you say you "I do however plan on putting in many of my prize corals from back in the days when you could buy large pieces @ local pet stores."

So.. is it a fish only tank or is it going to have corals?
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

White Lightning

I would suggest making your decision on either freshwater of saltwater and be confident with your choice because you willl not be able to use a lot of the more expensive items if you choose to go the other way. ie pricey cannister filter is more or less useless for a saltwater tank. or a skimmer is not needed for a freshwater set up.

Live rock is a must for any saltwater tank; be that fish only or reef. You can go with your traditional live rock from the ocean, DIY rock or this ecco rock that some members have been using in their tanks. Whichever way you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

I would just make sure that you only choose once, otherwise you could wind up spending a lot of money on items that you can no longer use if you decide to change your mind.