New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

gold coral banded shrimp feeding??

Started by A6tiger, June 14, 2011, 08:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A6tiger

hey i got a nice coral banded shrimp from AZ...gave it a while in the bag to acclimate it(i added water every 45 min did that at least 3 times). The question is i saw it around for a couple days and then haven't seen her in like week and a half...i tought the worst happens but finally this morning i saw it's little white claw stick out of a cave. So now that i know it's not dead is there a way to make it come out more and also should i try to feed it somethnig specific??

dan2x38

Looking forward to see if someone has a trick for them to show more often. Mine has it's hiding spot and stays there. It gets plenty of food. It is one of my favs. pretty disappointed. I've had mine for close to a year I think.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Hookup

Quote from: A6tiger on June 14, 2011, 08:10:30 AM
hey i got a nice coral banded shrimp from AZ...gave it a while in the bag to acclimate it(i added water every 45 min did that at least 3 times). The question is i saw it around for a couple days and then haven't seen her in like week and a half...i tought the worst happens but finally this morning i saw it's little white claw stick out of a cave. So now that i know it's not dead is there a way to make it come out more and also should i try to feed it somethnig specific??

In my tank, i have to turn the flow off so I can have food fall to the more timid fish on the bottom.  it takes time every feeding to fatten up the bigger/agressive fish so that they let some of the food fall to the little guys..  i would suspect you could do the same and have it rain down a piece or three of food on the shrimp...   mysis are a favorite...

Darth

I have the same issue with my reef lobster, he is so beautiful, but never ever comes out, every once in a while it will dart out for a piece of food, and the just ghost and never seem him for weeks been in the tank about 6 months now

Nyx

We've had our coral-banded for over 9 years. He's huge but still manages to hide as though he wasn't even there. We see in during evening feedings, provided that it's dark in our living room so he can't see us. Otherwise, forget it. We do often see his moults, though. He seems to like to moult at the top of the tank, leaving the remnants stuck in our large red monti. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

Wooki

Wow I didn't realize these shrimp can have such different personalities.  I got mine from AZ about a year ago.  He is always out at feeding.  I can even hand feed him.  I started this with mysis shrimp with a feeding stick pretty much when I first got him

T
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

A6tiger

as you said it's kinda funny how different they can be take my pepperminth for exmaple it is suppose to be super shy...mine comes out in the middle of the day and even come take a piece of raw shrimp out of my finger loll weird but yeah my gold banded is still hiding haven't seen it again lolll

ryancarman.com

is feeding shrimp shrimp canibalism?

8)

Cbellehumeur

mine is always out and about...i hand feed mine aswell. if i don't have food in my hand and i'm in the tank he will attack my hand.

dan2x38

Sounds like training them to target feeding might be the ticket.

Strange thing today happened. I feed in the morning while atinics are on. Today there he was I took a video not sure how well it turned out. Need to edit it some but will try and post a link to YouTube when I upload it.

really want to see mine more they are such cool looking shrimp!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+2227&pcatid=2227
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."