New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mixing Firefish?

Started by Severum, December 05, 2011, 10:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

Has anyone had success mixing firefish? It would be neat to have an orange, purple and helfrichi in one tank.

I now my 120 was not big enough to keep 2 orange happy, but possibly being 2 males had something to do with it.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Hookup

i've had 2 fire and one purple for about 6months.  no issues.. but they each keep to their own 90g square area...  Not that they are agressive (that I see) but they definitely have their own sections of the tank.

bt

No experience either way, but I've heard anything other than a mated pair can end in disaster unless there's enough room for them to keep away from each other.

Dakotamay

We have first hand with this.

We have had a purple firefish for about a year. He went missing for 7 days. So, we thought it meant he'd passed on and we bought a red firefish. Well, all of a sudden our purple firefish comes back out. I have an idea that the reason our purple hid for 7 days was because the new royal gramma (since sold) was picking on him.

Anyways, our current tank is a 75g that was an emergency set up when our 110g sprung a leak. We're upgrading to a 180g after Christmas.

I've rambled, sorry. Our purple now is the boss of the other red and keeps the red in the rocks. However, the red isn't stupid and comes out when the purple is sleeping in the am and after lights out in pm. I make sure to feed the tank while each is having their out time lol.

So, while it can work. It's not working too well in ours. If we would of known our purple was just hiding, we would of never ever gotten a red as we've been told that it doesn't work. Unless, they go in at the same time.
Hope that helps.

Severum

Thanks for the responses. Looks like its a bad idea to mix them unless you got a real big tank.

After posting this question I can't find my red firefish. I guess I don't have to worry about any conflicts.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Dakotamay

Sorry to hear your firefish is MIA. It could be that it's just hiding if it was being picked on by the other. I'd give it some time. See if he reappears.
Good luck,
Angela

kole18

The reg. firefish red one I'd find this fish tend to be more aggressive than purple. Recently bought 2 red & purple ended up killing each other sucks I'm left with 1 purple & I haven't seen since last week :( I was going to get a hilfrichi for schooling in my 70g but now I don't see a point to get a pair of hilfrichi since I have no firefish left in my tank.