New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

stocking a 29g

Started by brotherluv, January 10, 2012, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brotherluv

What would be the best options for a 29g tank...I would like fish which have nice colour aren't shy and are reef safe.  I have a pair of clowns already...any ideas would be helpful!!

DonaldMcL

Although hit an miss, Flame Angels are really nice. I have one in my 29g BioCube, it killed an open brain but hasn't touched anything else.

vonG

cherub (pygmy) angel is very nice and colourful.
lemon/yellow goby
mandrin goby

what about inverts?
blood shrimp
sexy shrimp
red sea star

lots of colour there :)

brotherluv

Definitly getting some shrimp!  Great idea.  I'll check out the cherub pygmy angel!  I also like the flame I'll probably get one or the other.  Would firefish work with them?  I have a feeling a dragonette will be added although from what I've heard they're somewhat difficult to find healthy and keep them that way.
I have the tunze 9002 skimmer,  what would he maximum stocking level?

xenon

Do not put a mandrin goby in a 29g BC.

They require a highly established tank of 100G or more.

Some people have trained them to eat food but its difficult. They require more pods that your 29BC can support.

brotherluv

Good advice!  Dragonette is now deleted from the maybe list.

kole18

Purple firefish
Jaw fish
Bernacle blenny
Royal gramma

bt

You aren't likely to keep a mandarin alive for very long in a 29G.  Just not enough of a pod population to sustain them.

JetJumper

If you get your hands on an ORA Mandarin, that would be fine since they are raised on drygoods / frozen.

But they are $$$$

Blenny's, Firefish, Goby's are all cool :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

bt

Even then, the ORA ones are still hit or miss on how well they'll take prepared foods.  Plenty of stories of an ORA Mandarin that stops eating prepared foods after getting a taste of fresh pods, and won't go back even after decimating the pod population in the tank.  Though there are also plenty of stories of them working out just fine.

delslo

I have a red scooter dragonet in my tank, although not the fattest scooter, I have had him in my tank happily for the last 5 months.

brotherluv

I love those guys too but already have one in my55g...he's also been happy for about 3 months.

vonG

royal gramma kind of aggressive for a wee tank no?

I'm having issues with a purple dottyback in my 29 being a bully.... had a RG before and he was no better.....

brotherluv

I'm planning to stay away from any dottyback as my royal in the 55g is quite the bully as well...good think my Clarkii clowns keep him in close check! 

brotherluv

I added a mated pair of scissor tail dartfish today and a threadfin hawkfish on the 13th.  Next will be a flame angel and that's it for fish...still debating corals or keeping it a FOWLR tank.