New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

little cowfish - toast.

Started by vonG, April 03, 2012, 04:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonG

had a super cool fun little yellow horned cowfish in my 29g cube for 2 weeks.
swimming happily with a little clown, cherub angel and bi colour blenny.

feeding well and looked great....
until this morning when he was stuck to the powerhead.

toast and rock hard, but not dead.
I freed him to see how he would make out, and turned off the power head to help reduce effort to stay swimming in the cube but I guess it was too late.

little dood was too beaten up.

kinda strange.

water params are all excellent. temp didn't change.
no ph spike
nitrates at zero

he was about the size of a quarter.

quite a character to watch hovering around in the tank.

anyone ever experience this? I was told these guys are pretty easy to keep. Like I said, he was feeding well since day one.

thanks

d.

Dakotamay

So sorry to hear about your little guy. He looked really cute.

daworldisblack

Oh no! I usually don't find myself posting in a salty thread because I dont find I have much to contribute (don't mean I dont read them though :p) but so sorry to hear of your loss. Looked like a great lil dude!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

rgauvin

A friend of mine just picked one up. He loves the little guy. He has named his little cow fish "burger" and apparently burger is a very curious fish that he loves to watch.

Severum

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Those fish are pretty neat. I've always really wanted one of them but the 20" max length has scared me.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

leb_crx

Quote from: rgauvin on April 04, 2012, 08:48:47 AM
A friend of mine just picked one up. He loves the little guy. He has named his little cow fish "burger" and apparently burger is a very curious fish that he loves to watch.

thanks buddy

ya burger was my fish...had him for about 5 days, he was doing good, curious, not skiddish, eating well, very curious and attentive

I got a call from the wife last night that he was stuck to the HOB filter on the QT tank...
I have no idea why, seems like he went from awesome health to near dead

all I had in the tank for flow is a nano 240 and a HOB rated for 20gal tank...

anyways, hes no longer with us, funeral will be held tomorrow @ 7pm in my backyard
all those who wish to attend will be welcome
donations will be accepted to help pay for costs

Noober

if you guys dont mind me asking, where did you purchase these cowfishes? and price?

redbelly

These are NOT suitable for nano tank both because of the size that they reach and the instability in water parameters associated with small tanks!

Unfortunately this is exactly what happens when most people purchase them.....

vonG

my LFS in Montreal is Octopus. awesome service. awesome selection.

the owner knows what tank I have and it's inhabitants.
at full maturity (years....) yes, a yellow horn cowfish can get friggin huge. I've seen an 8" one in person that was still growing.

this guy was the size of a quarter and had been at the LFS for 3 weeks eating happily.

my water params are great. regular calcium supplements weekly and 2-3gal water changes every other week. zero nitrates, ammonia. ph is bang on. the tank is very very happy. corals growing like crazy, snails multiplying, tons of pods, cleaner shrimp molts every 2-3 weeks, hermits are happy....

I think flow was an issue.

I have a pretty substantial amount of flow in the cube. As a result, I just cannot keep Banagai Cardinals (gone through six of them before giving up on that species  :'( ) and now this little docile cowfish.

getting a smaller powerhead is an option, but my corals thrive on the flow so far, so I'm less inclined to do that.

price I paid for my little dood was $30