New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aptasia Anenomes

Started by gator, October 27, 2004, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator

Ive just set up a sw tank with liverock.   The tanks been running with crushed coral and salt for about 3-1/2 weeks, the cured Fiji liverock has been in for two weeks.   About one week ago, I noticed that there was some kind of anemone attached to the back of one of the larger pieces of rock.  I'm 99 per cent sure it's an Aptasia Anenome (or "glass" anemone).   During my research on the Web, Ive encountered various opinions: some say that by maintaining low nutrient levels by filtering and skimming, the aptasia won't reproduce, others say the only course of action is a vigorous erradication program.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter?  
Thanks.

saltydog

Aptaisia anemones WILL spread under most conditions. They are not a problem in fish-only tank & are an interesting hardy lifeform. If they are in close contact (touching) corals they will "sting" them. This is why many reef aquarists do not want them. Some fish will eat them. I found that they are easily controlled by injecting them by syringe with a small amount of bleach. This is not likely to bother other tank occupants.
-thankful for a tankfull-

DARKPHREAK

I also have a few of them and from what I understand they do as Salty says, sting corals. Its better to try and rid the tank of this pest instead of them stinging expensive corals.

gator

Thanks for the information.  Since I have very few things in the tank right now, I think I'll try to inject with bleach.   What sort of method works best?  Injecting at several locations?  Also, should I inject straight bleach, or a diluted solution?   Do you know what sort of time frame will elapse before the anemone dies?  I'd like to try to remove it as soon as I am convinced it is dead.

Once again, thanks for the info.  I have been lurking on this site for many months now, planning the ultimate aquarium, and now that I have something to contribute, I know I can count on everyone's generous advice.

DARKPHREAK

Bleach or Vinegar will both work. Remember to add dechlorinator after the bleach method, vinegar will slightly raise pH(i think). If you can, inject in several locations, if not, its best to inject alot in the section you've got the needle into. Sometimes only once is needed and you can tell when its dead, if its not inject again. Im not sure how much to inject but a couple of ml's should do.

Welcome to the site, there arent many salt water ppl here but we do lurk around.

luvfishies

Vinegar or Kalkwasser slurry, or Lemon Juice works in the syringe, as well.

I'm battling these nasties as well. Just don't kill too many at once with the vinegar or lemon juice, or you risk lowering the pH.

gator

Well, I spoke to a guy at the lfs (Oakville Reef Gallery), and he sold me on a premixed product called "Joe's Juice".  It comes with a little syringe, and is milky white.  The idea is that you squirt the stuff at the anemone, and it consumes it, thinking it's food.   He told me that it's very difficult to actually inject something into these critters, so the Joe's juice takes away that element of it.  I tried it last night, and will be checking to see if it worked tonight.  Does anybody else have any experience, good or bad, with this stuff?

DARKPHREAK

I'll try and inject mine tonight(vinegar). From everything I've read Joe's Juice works very well if all else fails. This is what you have right?

gator

Yep, that's it!   Since I posted my original question, I noticed two tiny little offspring from the original one, and that got me MOTIVATED to eliminate them.   I've got a few pictures, but can't seem to get my account to work from my home computer.   Maybe I'll burn a cd and bring it in to work.  Let me know how the vinegar works (I probably wasted 12.95 for nothing!)

DARKPHREAK

No no, from what I understand Joe's is the best to get rid of this stuff and it shouldnt affect anything else in the tank.

Im not saying that this site isnt good, it is, but for more of what your looking for(info) visit http://aquariacanada.com I've seen a few people from your area. Its a saltwater site/forum based in Ontario.

I'll post later on how the vinegar works.

gator

Well, the Joe's Juice stuff worked!  No more Aptaisia (sp?) anemones (I hope).   Now I have to go digging around the rock and removing the dead parts.

DARKPHREAK

Same here with the vinegar. They withered away and I saw them floating in the tank this am.

adamarchibald

Another sollution that people may want to try is using pepperment shrimp (don't happen to have the scientific name lieing around) as they naturally eat the little glass anemones and will help clean up any you missed.  Plus they dance and anything that dances has to be cool, lol.  :D

gator

I've read elsewhere as well that they will eat the little ones.  But, what else will they eat?  I certainly would'nt want the little guys starving in there, or eating any future desirable anemones.

adamarchibald

Correct it is unlikely that they will eat the large ones, but they will stop them from spreading.  No large host anemones will be bothered by the shrimp, nore shall corals.  If you have a decent amount of live rock (eg 1+ pound per gallon) you will have no problem supporting a few of these guys.  :wink:

luvfishies

I"ve heard about Joe's Juice, cant get it locally tho', so it's lemon juice and a syringe for me.

Oh joy oh Bliss.......nasty nasty things are TOUGH to inject!

Another good Ontario/Canadian SW site is www.aquariumpros.ca