New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Starting a reef (split from about corals, etc)

Started by artw, December 11, 2004, 10:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

I'd be interested in starting up a reef,  doing something other than Africans might be a nice change.

328iGuy

artw

I split this into a new thread, so hopefully this thread will become a good reference point for anyone starting a reef or FOWLR tank.
(I just learned that acronymn a few minutes ago)

I will edit this post and copy-paste threads in as I read them on Google

http://fish.orbust.net/reefstart.html
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/saltwater/

yellowtang

Hello you 2.
first of all...welcome to the never ending hobby of salt water.
first of all........how big you want to start? and how much $
you want to spend.
a plain 33g tank which is ideal for new hobbiest like you will run
you lets say $1000. going very cheap on everything, which I
would't recomend,specially when it comes to a good skimmer.
live rock about $9.99 lbs cured. Min 50lbs for 33G
mh $300+ "lights".  substrate $100+
and the most delicate of all Fish.
that is just an idea.....You might want to research before
jumping into it. Don't forget your sump. you will need one.
good luck. 8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

gvv

It seems not a cheep hobby at all :)
But what a beauty!

DARKPHREAK

Figure it at about minimum 30$ a gallon, lightly stocked.

Marx

yellowtang... you don't need MH to run a reef.. and the usual amount of rock is 1# per gallon... for good filtration.. also sumps arn't needed...

go read reef central and other well know sites.. there good to have for extra volume but thats abnout it.. you can go sumpless...

but i recommend a skimmer since it helps for the over feeding type lol..

Marx

my 20gal nano costed me 1000$ give or take to get running.. with fish and corals.. sumpless..

Marx

so whos gonna buy my 65gal to start there reef? :D

328iGuy

Quote from: "Marx"so whos gonna buy my 65gal to start there reef? :D

MAAAAN!  8)

yellowtang

first of all.........2to3 lbs of rock per gallon of water..by rule.
to have a reefs Must and I repeat must have lights.either
power compacts or mh.
a good skimmer....a very deep sand bed for good filtration.
and for micro a good sump.
more knowledge means healthy aquarium and better fish
survival.
:idea:  :idea:  :idea:  8)  8)  8)  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

artw

I might do a 55,  but they are tall,   I do like it 4' long though,  4' lights are cheaper than 3' bulbs
I'd do it all DIY,  but not cut corners where it counts
this project would be a slow progression, and is probably 4-6 months away from even being started.
what I would like is a tank that is 4 feet long, 24"front to back and about 15" high
my 65 is 48x18x18,   I can fit 4 tubes above it,  but 18" is a bit deep.   for lights.   from the little bit I have read so far,   the depth is important,  I know that with my planted tank 18" was pretty deep for lights
comments?

Nelson

Just thought I would share my experience in the SW hobby.  15-20 years ago my first experience with the fish hobby was with a salt tank.  I started with a 30-40 gal tank and absolutely no idea what I was doing.  Bought a couple of books, all the chemicals, water testing equipemt etc, and went out and bought some fish without cycling the water!!  I didn't have the benefit of an organizattion such as OVAS and don't recall reading a whole lot about the hobby beyond the basics.  I can't explain my fair success but I managed to keep, in reasonable condition, pepermint shrimp, clowns, various blemies(sp) and my prized lion fish among others.  At the time I didn't have a lot of money to spend on the hobby so I'm quite sure I ignored most of the recommended procedures/equipment/water treatment, beyong the addition of salt of course.  I also recall that my filtration was an unsophisticated power filter.

All this to say that, in my experience, sw is not necessarily the ultimately challenging level that a fresh water aquarist can strive for. Nor is it an area of our hobby that should be considered for the most experienced.  What I can say, based upon what I've learned since my entry into the world of freshwater aquariums,  is that anyone with fairly significant experience in maintaining a healthy and well stocked freshwater biosphere would likely welcome the not-so-chalenging aspects of a saltwater tank and do very well at it.

pegasus

My experience in SW is about the same as Nelson (mine was from 1974-1982) with an undergravel filter and a Fluvial. I had no problem keeping fish. At the time, it was very difficult to keep in anemone as they are very susceptible to water quality and nobody had LIVE coral. We just didn't have all the science and accessories you guys have now. When I left in 82 they were testing skimmers and there was a rumor that clown fish had been breed in SW tanks! Wow! Could that be possible? My hat to all the hobbyists that got it so far ahead.
On my wife's request, from 2000 to 2004 I had a 10 gal. SW with a damsel.

PS The first tank was cycled with the help of a live lobster, for the second I used water and filter from my freshwater tank.

328iGuy

I am getting pulled into the void......

Was at Big Al's (Innes Rd.) over my lunch hour to price a canopy and was looking at the salt water tanks.....me likes!  8)

DARKPHREAK

Ill suggest before buying anything, drop by MarineScape on Carling Ave. and talk with Keith or Mark about what you want to do. They will suggest the best way to suit your needs. I see your already on AC 328iGuy, read everything you can cause salt water tanks are NOT the same as FW and for those who say they are easier to keep then freshwater are completely mistaken IMHO.

328iGuy

Cmarty01

I just stoped by Marine scape today. They do seem to be very knowledgeable and didn't try and rip me off. I am thinking of converting to SW and just wanted to check what I needed. They suggested a couple power heads, some aragonite sand, live rock and salt. Luckily I already have a PC light. I figure it will cost about $400 to get started for a 55G. They also informed me a sump is NOT neccessary and a protein skimmer is only needed once things have progressed and you get into trickier corals.

gator

Well-
Speaking as someone who has recently gotten into saltwater, I can tell you that you DEFINITELY want a drilled tank with an overflow.  This gives you much more flexibility in the long run, and the cost of getting your tank drilled and an overflow box insatlled is negligible.  This way you can have a floor or sump mounted protein skimmer so you don't have to look at the gross colection cup on top of a HOB type.   I wish I had done this to my tank before I set it up.
If you're going to buy uncured live rock, you should run a protein skimmer while it's curing to pull all the rotting crap out of the water.
According to all the books I have and research I've done, you should have at least a pound of live rock per gallon, depending on the density.  That's if you go with more pourous, less dense pacific rock.   At 7$ a pound for cured Fiji rock, thats $385 in rock alone.