New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clown Anemone

Started by Julie, February 21, 2005, 05:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie

Are clowns hard to keep?  Do they really need an anemone?
Can I use an aquaclear as a filter for marine or what is recommended.

tx,
Julie

dannypd

Marine filter?  I dont think that's necessary with Live Rock...

..anemone's are probably a GOOD idea, for they produce required nutriants for the clown's beautiful colours and the anemones use the clown for their growth.

However, I have seen clowns bred/grown without it!

(clowns multiply faster then guppies if you let them, LOL)

DARKPHREAK

Please read this before buying something you dont know about.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167444&highlight=magnificent+anenomes

If your not a member of RC... become one just to read that. And read more about saltwater before buying ANYTHING.

Julie

Thanks DP, haven't bought anything yet and am not sure if I'm up to it with the summer coming.

Julie

yellowtang

hello there.
you are asking if clown fish are hard to keep.
there are many kinds of clown fish which one can buy at various
LFS. The most common one being "Percula Clown" Amphiprium
Percula. this one is one of the most common ones and hardier of them all.......all other ones like tomato clown......Ocellaris clownfish
Clarks clownfish and pink skunk clown fish are a bit more delicate.
nor only they require 0 nitrates a balanced ph and balaced alk levels.....as far as a host anemone are concerned.....
clown don't need anemones as host..in fact some clown fish will not  live in anemones........all depends where they feel safe and secure.......I was told once that certain clownfish will have powerheads as their host...figure that one out.
anemones are quite hard to maintain.....some of them live
less than six months or less.
Best regards. 8)  8)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Julie

Thanks for the advice.  I will stay away from them as I have enough troubles with the Discus.   :wink:

Julie