New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

my 'trigger gone blind'

Started by az, March 17, 2005, 01:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

az

so few days ago i told my wife to add some water but she poured it directly and not through the filter.......the trigger came to investigate then and now it is blind....it has become very thin since then..... it cant catch anything...even flakes. i am really  :(

any suggestion? i am thinking about switching the filters off when i feed them next time to reduce the current. what else can be done?

thanks.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

aidensmomma2000

Im confiused- what do you mean adding it through the filter? I doubt topping off a tank with tap water would blind a fish.

luvfishies

Did the fish get "burned" by the freshwater, rather than the water mixing with the SW in the filter?

If so, it may just be irritated, and should recover. Turning off the filter/powerhead is a good idea while feeding.

az

Quote from: "luvfishies"Did the fish get "burned" by the freshwater, rather than the water mixing with the SW in the filter?

If so, it may just be irritated, and should recover. Turning off the filter/powerhead is a good idea while feeding.

hope he does...feeding him is an hr job now. so how long would it take b4 the irritation goes away?
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

Marx

freshwater water does not burn fish... if a SW fish is sick sometimes its good to do a freshwater dip.. for about a minute or so..  so i doubt its the water.. but if it was freshly mixed saltwater that stuff is corrosive.. and yes you could burn fish.. that why you aerate the water for a day and have circulation in it..

hope that helps.. i never burn't a fish before so i don't know how to treat it..

maybe add Selcon/garlic (vitamins and scent and preventative) maybe it will help..

az

i think its the water conditioner that blinded him, cant think of anything else....b4 he had a green tint on those blue eyes....now they are just black.
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

BigDaddy

Marx... just a heads up... luvs is a veteran fish keeper, both salt and fresh ... I'm sure she was just trying to put things in laymans' terms.

Marx

My response was adding to luvsfishies response.. i hope it did not sound like i was correct hers..

dannypd

Quote from: "az"i think its the water conditioner that blinded him, cant think of anything else....b4 he had a green tint on those blue eyes....now they are just black.

What was the water temp?  The "corrosive" salt would not harm a fish in such a manner.

However, very WARM water would if the temp had a difference of 20 degrees +.

Also, that hue on the eyes are used like "sun glasses".  Puffers have them aswell (that's how I know).  Turning down the brightness in the tank for a little bit MAY help

luvfishies

Marx, no offense taken, BigDaddy, thanks for the props!

Ok, it could have been "salt burn" as that can and will happen. It could also have been FW burn, as when we dip a fish in FW for ich treatment, it basically irritates the heck out of the fish, causing slime production to kick into overdrive, knocking the ich cysts off a SW fish. (this doesn't work in reverse, so no point in doing "salt baths" for FW fish with ich----different micro-organism)

Hmmm....I'm still curious about just how the water was added, why it would have been a problem done this different way,  and how it was treated before adding it.