New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Salt water, Where to start????

Started by sarahbella, November 21, 2005, 10:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

repeej

Quote from: "Nelson"
Hi Ron, don't know where the 120 comes from.  Ray's nano for sale is nowhere near that size.

Quote from: "sarahbella"Steph, i think he's looking at 120g give or take a few gallons.  Fresh water puffers will not appease him.  ;)  Hes the kind of guy that wants what he wants and i think he's smitten with this particular fish ;)

If anyone has a 75-120g kicking around or bits and pieces for a saltwater setup let me know....  :)  

Julie

Marinescape is on carling not far from preston street in a strip mall.
Rays nano is a 20 high.
I purchased my rock from ray and marinescape and registered nitrates within a couple days.  No ammonia spike or nitrite spike.
I have a couple fish and clean up crew and everything is stable, going through the ugly algae though, but that's to be expected.
I don't have a skimmer yet, and am still considering one if I get one.
I water change with distilled water and have a sand bed of around 1.5 inches.

Julie

sarahbella

From what i've read about puffers they cant be kept  in a reef type setting.  they apparently emit toxins that can kill other fish.  Of course i have far more reading to do but thats what i understand as of yet.

AZ, what would be the minimum hardware requirement for 1 fish in a  large tank if i dont want corals??  I dont suppose its as easy as an aquaclear filter and heater???

az

Quote from: "sarahbella"

AZ, what would be the minimum hardware requirement for 1 fish in a  large tank if i dont want corals??  I dont suppose its as easy as an aquaclear filter and heater???

just a filter(not mini) and a heater should be fine, plz add cpl of powerheads though, more current is always better!

edit: not sure if anyone used the stuff 'stability' or something which gurantees a fish ready setup/cycle in a wk, comes with all kinda bacteria and what not, just started using it so i'm not sure yet!
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

FishPassion

I was in at Rays on Sunday and yes he has a 90 gallon c/w stand a sand bed a little salt water in it keeping it wet so to start this tank which was recently acquired would not present any "major" problems.
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Nelson

Quote from: "FishPassion"I was in at Rays on Sunday and yes he has a 90 gallon c/w stand a sand bed a little salt water in it keeping it wet so to start this tank which was recently acquired would not present any "major" problems.

We should talk to Ray about commission sales FP :lol:

rockgarden

Repeej: Thanks.

Gvv:  You don't have to advertise that you were the only SW guy at the OVAS mini-auction looking for macro algae the night that I brought the macro algae (I think that you bid against yourself a couple of times - that's how the bid got above a buck a bag :).  Watch out though, Julie and Nelson will be there next time and Sara Bella and ....

Nelson: glad you posted the following link in the other thread.  He's really worked on his site since I last visited it.  Applicable to this thread as well so here goes again:

http://www.melevsreef.com/overview.htm

And for those who want to know how big is big in the salt water world (its crazy - believe me) read this whole web article and you'll find that this chap in UK is thinking of going bigger.

http://www.mastcanada.org/Assets/Html/Member_Tanks/Members/mark_howarth/2004/index.htm

Have fun dreaming about what you might do when you win the lottery. Personally I think I would prefer to buy an atoll somehere warm with its own natural reef.  Flying there on weekends might be less expensive than the big tank lighting costs.

Ron

gvv

Quote from: "sarahbella"If anyone has a 75-120g kicking around or bits and pieces for a saltwater setup let me know....  :)  

Check this:
http://aquariacanada.com/Classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1037&sort=1&cat=3&page=1
Just no idea where the seller is located... :(

Julie