New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Marine Lighting Question

Started by nickl, February 07, 2006, 10:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickl

Hey everyone,

Currently running at 12 Gallon Eclipse System (was been running very well for almost 2 months). Currently in the tank are a small percula, a small coral banded shrimp, a small blue tuxedo urchin and a couple of pieces of live rock.

When I got the urchin, it came with a small "coral" attached to it (about an inch wide by 2 high). Looks similar to a tree coral although I'm not sure, I will post a pic tonight. The "coral" seems to be doing very well, constantly fully extended with all tentacles full and undamaged. Looks like its flourishing.

The light is a standard 18" flourescant with a 50/50 coralife bulb in it.

My question is, is there any other small corals/polypcs/anemones that would fair well it this kind of lighting environment? My water chemistry is top notch and I do regular weekly water changes (20%).

Thanks for the help,

Nick

nickl

Julie

How many watts per gallon?
Julie

DARKPHREAK

Thats a Pulsing Zenia, should do fine with the limited lighting you have. You can keep "basic" corals in the tank like mushrooms and button polyps. You dont have enough light for much else. Do not attempt anemones, they need more light then you can supply.

nickl

Great, thanks for the responses. I will stick with what I have now, until I upgrade to a larger tank/better lighting.

yellowtang

feather dusters do quite well under low light
cheers
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF