New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new User - Ottawa Water Quality and Live Rock Sources?

Started by Mickyfin, June 22, 2004, 12:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickyfin

Firstly i want to say hello, I'm a new user on this site and have found the forums to be very interesting reading.  I'm definately looking forward to learning more!

I've recently just started my first SW tank, looking to start a small reef tank in my living room.

I was curious whether the tap water quality in Ottawa (Orleans) would be extremely harmful for a small (33 gallon) reef tank?  I have treated the water for chloramine.  I have not bought a testing kit yet and was hoping I won't have to buy special water, but if it will impact my tanks success, I suppose it's a negligable expense.

Secondly I was curious if anyone here could point me to a reasonably priced source for live rocks?  My budget is not unlimited, so I was hoping to build up my live rock reef over a period of weeks or months, adding pieces as I can afford.  I know this will prolong the cycling of my tank, but I am willing to go slow as this is my first reef tank.

If anyone on here can help out, let me know.  Private sales, reference to a store or shipping will all work, price is definately a mitigating factor.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Marc

Hi,

The city water in Ottawa (including Orleans) is very soft.  It should be great for a reef aquarium.  I think all you will need to add is the special sea salt mixture from your local fish store.

Marc

luvfishies

Just watch out for Phosphates in tapwater. There are usually *some*, which will cause an algal bloom like you wouldn't believe!