New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Vanishing Oto

Started by HayleYoyo, March 14, 2019, 09:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HayleYoyo

Hey everyone,

I'm very new to the hobby. I just added fish to my cycled tank last Saturday!

Here is my problem! I had an Oto, and he has been very active.

I went to the store to pick up some cucumber to supplement his diet, and he was gone!

I have lifted up all the decorations, looked under each plant, and even looked on the floor around the tank to see if he got out. I can't find him anywhere.

I put in some cucumber, and left it there, and I think I see little 'teeth marks'

I only have a Betta and some assassin snails in my tank, so I doubt he was eat. Especially because my Betta has been fed right before, and isn't showing any bloat.

Any ideas?!!

limmer

HayleYoyo

Quote from: limmer on March 14, 2019, 10:28:49 AM
Check the floor.

I have, around the aquarium, under the couch, in the kitchen. I was crawling around!

I don't have any animals that could have taken it either

Do they burry themselves?

Gilbotron

They don't usually bury themselves. 

Newly added fish usually go into hiding for a few days/week until they get used to their environment. He is probably just hiding in a small crack or crevice (quite often the filter intake pipe).  Taking stuff out of the tank to search for him will possibly stress him more.  Just keep an eye out for a few days and he will probably turn up.

HayleYoyo

Thanks,

I'll keep my eyes open. Should I be worried about him in the intake tube? Isn't there an impeller that could harm him?

Gilbotron

Sry - I meant on the back of the filter intake pipe - thats usually a nice dark place to hang out.  Unless you don't have the end piece on your intake (the one with the slits) it would be very difficult for any fish (other than fry/small shrimp) to get into the filter and chopped by the impeller.  But yes - if the fish could get into the filter, the impeller could cause harm (to both the fish and the filter) depending on the filter type.

th3budd

I had a 48 gallon tank that I put six Otis in, And I thought they were all dead because I never saw any of them for months. Then when I went to empty the tank to re-scape it, all six suddenly appeared! He's probably in there somewhere hiding.

HayleYoyo

The utter lack of a body makes me feel the same way.

I've looked everywhere, but atm I am just leaving it be, hoping he shows up soon

Thanks everyone!