New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Proposal for Change to Club Objectives/Executive

Started by ajm1961, April 21, 2014, 10:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

My fellow members, please find attached a proposal to change our club's objectives and the structure of our club's executive. These changes were discussed at length with the Executive and approved for us to move ahead and ask for membership approval at our April 28th meeting.

We feel that these changes are necessary to reflect the current club's direction and operations, and to take into account the many roles that need to be filled to ensure a smooth running of both the executive and our annual AquaMania event.

Please take the time to read this in advance of our meeting, and come informed and prepared to vote.
We cordially invite all club members to come and be part of the decision-making process.

You may post your views and opinions on this thread, but bear in mind our club constitution requires an in-person vote at a club meeting to approve or reject the proposed changes.

Thank you all for your continuing support of the club.
Andre Martin
OVAS President
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Brine

A lot of work obviously went into this. Thanks to all who contributed.

Stussi613

Folks,

I just want to point out that these changes are being made to try to de-couple some of the positions/roles from being on the traditional executive in the hopes that more people will volunteer to help out the club.  The current exec requires 12 people and we ran it with 7 this year.  Every time we asked for volunteers to join the exec, or help with planning, our requests seem to have been in vain.  I know allot of people came out and helped on the weekend of AquaMania, and we appreciate it, but the exec was stretched extremely thin planning and organizing the event and our hope is to get more people involved with the club as it evolves.

There was some commentary at the AquaMania about my previous statement about the club folding, and I just want to clarify something.  I said what I said because I know that many of this years exec will not be returning next year.  Considering how hard it has seemed to be to get people to join the exec this year, if nobody steps up for next year then the club will be in jeopardy of continuing.  I know that people might be waiting until closer to the elections, or to see if other step up, before putting their names in the hat.  I truly hope that's the case.  What the club needs is a full exec and some continuation and it's hard to do that when people are pulling double and triple duty and getting more and more discouraged all the time. 

I don't want to the club to fold, but I'm a realist and I'm trying to call it as I see it.

Stuart
I haz reef tanks.

Dxpert

Great work pulling these documents together. Looking forward to the meeting on the 28th.

ajm1961

Update: the previous documents provided the framework for the change, and the details of the positions involved. It was pointed out that these must be "translated" into the actual changes needed to modify the Society's Constitution. So, I have made these proposed changes into something more intelligible. Attached are the documents that will be presented and voted at Monday's meeting. The proposed changes are indicated in red. Also attached are the current Constitution and By-Laws.

My apologies for any confusion - it is my first crack at doing "constitutional work"...
Thank you all for your input so far in the process, I look forward to the discussion on Monday.

regards,
Andre Martin
President, OVAS
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!