New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MARCH 23 MEETING: LARRY JOHNSON

Started by ajm1961, February 25, 2015, 07:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

LARRY JOHNSON – SWIMMING WITH CICHLIDS
MONDAY, MARCH 23, 7:00PM, TOM BROWN ARENA, 2ND FLOOR

Larry will be presenting pictures and tales from his latest safari at Lake Malawi in the fall of 2014. He will also provide an update on the re-introduction of Pseudotropheus Saulosi at Taiwanee Reef, part of his involvement with the Stuart M Grant Conservation Fund. For more information on Larry, and to see some of his picture galleries, please visit his site: http://www.malawicichlidimports.ca/about/

He will also be bringing some of his prized livestock for auction at the event. Here are some of the species up for grabs:

• Aulonocara walteri
  • Aulonocara Ngara flametails
  • Aulonocara bicolor 'chitimba bay reef'
  • Metriaclima zebra  Chilumba 'luwino reef'
  • Metriaclima Callainos Pearly Zebra 'Ruware'
  • Protomelas taeniolatus 'Namalenge Island' a truly awesome Red Empress!

This event is a great opportunity to see cichlids in their native habitat, ask questions on keeping various species, and even purchase some great quality livestock! Hope to see you in great numbers!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bitterman

Sounds awesome! Will there be a supper before the meeting like we did last time Larry was here?

Regards,
  Bruce

Jeff1192

Man I wish meetings weren't on Monday nights....I'd love to here this presentation....and maybe pick up a few fish.

Great job landing what looks like an amazing presenter.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

ajm1961

Quote from: bitterman on February 25, 2015, 10:31:27 AM
Sounds awesome! Will there be a supper before the meeting like we did last time Larry was here?

Regards,
  Bruce
I'll get Peter to find out what time he is in town and if a dinner can be arranged beforehand.

artw

yep I will be going to this for sure, it will be great to see Larry again.
and since I work downtown I would be up for a dinner before.

ajm1961

DINNER WITH LARRY:
THE PRESCOTT, on Preston St.
Monday, March 23, 5:00 PM
Meal is not provided by OVAS - just an opportunity to get together with our speaker before the meeting.
RSVP by Friday, March 20th so I can reserve a table.

Graham

This is unreal! I can't wait for this meeting, wouldn't miss it for the world! :)

bitterman

Quote from: ajm1961 on February 25, 2015, 10:42:10 PM
DINNER WITH LARRY:
Meal is not provided by OVAS - just an opportunity to get together with our speaker before the meeting.

Consider me RSVP'd please!

artw

Quote from: ajm1961 on February 25, 2015, 10:42:10 PM
DINNER WITH LARRY:

RSVP'ing

Jody

I'm definitely up for the dinner!

Anyone coming from the east end that may have a spare seat?

Al

Andre,
Please include me for the dinner. Is Larry driving in or flying - if he needs to be picked up let me know.
Al

Mike L

I have obligations that day and will try my best to make the dinner but am in for the meeting. going to be good to talk cichlids.
Mike

Al

Andre,
Please take my name off the list - I was just advised by a client that I need to be in Saskatoon on the 23rd - 25th. Great consolation prize, eh?
And I had already contacted Larry and was hoping to catch up.
Gotta do what you gotta do !!
Al

ajm1961

That's too bad - haven't seen you in awhile - would have been good to catch up. Hopefully we'll see each other at the Giant Auction.

ajm1961

Unless I get more RSVPs, I am reserving a table for 8 at the Prescott, starting at 5:00 PM:

Larry
Peter
Bruce
Art
Jody (if he gets a ride)
Mike L (maybe)
Me
1 other?

If you are not on this list and want to be included, please post!
Otherwise, hope to see you in great numbers at Tom Brown's at 7:00 PM for the presentation (plus 6 bags of cichlids to auction off!)

Mike L

I am about 90% sure I'll be there but likely not until 5:30. BTW how long will the meeting run. I have never been before.
Mike

Jody

I will be there ride or not!
Just at the mercy of the bus schedule!

See you later!

robt18

Hey everyone,

We got word from Larry that he'll have 6 bags of premium fish available to buy tonight. Not sure what species, but these will undoubtedly be extremely high quality fish. Bring some cash if you're looking to add to your collection!

ajm1961

Based on what he told us a few weeks back - subject to change:

Aulonocara walteri
Aulonocara Ngara flametails
Aulonocara bicolor 'chitimba bay reef'
Metriaclima zebra  Chilumba 'luwino reef'
Metriaclima Callainos Pearly Zebra 'Ruware'
Protomelas taeniolatus 'Namalenge Island' a truly awesome Red Empress!

So, yes, bring cash!! :P

sanny

Any pictures of some nice cichlids you guys got?? I missed out  :(