New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

I did some updates to my diagram for flow... to ensure that I had enough of the design worked out.  On paper, the tank builder has given the thumbs up to the holes and placement.  They are laying it out on a sheet of glass to "visualize" the final product before saying no problems.

One other "major" change is at this point, i'm planning on driving each of the two closed loop systems using a gold series dart, but also from a single 1.5" input drain as opposed to having 2 x 1.5" drains connecting to the pump... I believe there is enough pressure fromthe tank, sitting 10feet above the pumps, that the 1.5" line will never go dry, and I will use a ball or gate valve on the return line from each closed loop to "slightly" throttle back the return flow, thus ensuring that the pump will never run out of supply water.

This now means that each CL has 4 outputs to play with.

CL1  is for mass flow... It is on 100% of the time and keeps the water moving in a circular pattern around the long-end of the tank...   The two Closed Loop inputs (shown in light blue (Cyan for some))... are also drawing in, 4300gph each, at the left side of the tank... assisting in the mass-flow direction... water pulled out of that side, must be replaced... so there's 8600gph of downward flow in that section... :)  nice thing about that kind of flow is, its not very focused... and with the hole placement i've shown, and possible splitting of the lines inside the rockwork, it should work out quite nicely to "suck" water down that side... while the green lines, push water across the bottom and back across the top..

CL2 is for turbid flow... It uses an oceans motions device to create that randomness in the flow patterns which will keep detritius suspended until the mass-flow loop (CL1) can carry it to the drain lines.  I have so many ideas for how to make these happen, including vertical spray bars inside of the rockwork... it's just too hard to show on this rendering.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Vincenzo.

this is the most thought out tanks ive read about. and you always seem to find good info, then find even better to 1up yourself. Lots of passion in this build. Cant wait

Hookup

The build is still alive, however we are in the "wait for the tank to arrive" mode.  In a few weeks i'm going to start on the stand and opening the wall.  Well I already opened the wall behind a big painting I have just for a peak-a-boo. ;)

Maxthecat

sounds awesome!! ... wish i could do that  :'(

cant wait for pics!

sdivell

Good to hear this is still going Tim.

Are you building a standard wood stand? or going metal?

Hookup

The stand will be built out of 2x4 construction covered in ply. I'm going to get some kiln(sp) dried wood for the framing and some cheap ply.  The ply will be covered with ceramic tile (12x12 pieces approx).  It should be a fairly easy build.  I will also be re-enforcing the floor with some 2x6 beams (a pair of them screwed and glued) supported at each end by a jack post.  This should take the load down to the concrete basement floor.

I have to find some good quality rolling/sliding mechanisms for the door panels, but I'm sure I'll find something.  I figure, the entire stand should take about 2 days for me to complete.  I'm pretty slow and steady for that kind of stuff.  I'm sure a person who does that more often could have it up and done in 1 day or less.  Save curing/dry time for the ceramic tile installation that is.

There is a possibility I'll be making the stand out of white primed MDF trimmed with stainless steel.  I have this kind of effect I did on the window in the dining room and I thought it might look good if the stand matched.

Here is a photo of the living room so you can see the window treatment I'm talking about, and the wall (with the picture on it) where the tank will be going.

salvini55

Vincenzo.

^lol. no doubt this will be bonkers. it's been months in the making.

Hookup

I've done some more research on my system.  I wanted to nail down a starting point for lighting.  I am 100% sold on the 10 bulb powermodule from ATI, infact it's been ordered... but the bulb combinations are always a tricky thing...

Here's my current thoughts in order from "front to back" if you will.

Ati blue plus
Ati Actinic
Ati blue special
Ati blue plus
Ati blue actinic
aquacscience white
fiji purple
Ati actynic
Ati blue special
Ati blue plus

This setup is what the 2008 TOTM winner uses, or at least was running at that time, so why not start from that point and tune/tweak from there. 

Tyler.L

smart to steal the bulb combo lol but 13 holes....you are a mad man!

Vincenzo.

salvini55

I bet hes out getting some antlers to put above the tank!

Vincenzo.

sniggir

Wow I can tell that I havn't been on or any where in a while... Grats man ..let mw know if ya need help...haha wow I missed alot on this form is like I went into a coma and just woke up... grats on the tank Tim !!!!!!!!!!!!
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Hookup

No updates... tank is being built, no ETA, but I'm guessing mid Nov delivery.  Lights orderd... working on getting some additional components, pumps, plumbing, OM4-way, etc...

I'll keep posting as things happen.  :)

salvini55

Quote from: Hookup on October 19, 2009, 09:35:37 AM

I'll keep posting as things happen.  :)

good cuz im running out of fingernails!

Hookup

Quote from: audioslave_36 on October 27, 2009, 06:38:05 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Agree...

However work has been so crazy busy, travel, now hunting week is next week.. i'm kind of glad things are not here this week...

Hookup

Good news!  The tank is going to be completed this Friday.  I'll work out shipping or going to get it soon... however, what do you think of a tank with 13 holes being completed on a Friday the 13th?  Do I simply throw the water all over the floor now or wait for the black cat?