New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Quick lighting question

Started by PuddleDuck, February 24, 2007, 09:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

I wouldn't call it better lighting, rather more lighting. Once you leave the realm of low and medium lighting with plants, the supply and demand of CO2 is outstripped in production by the needs of the plants, as they are forced to meet the excess light provision faster than your tank conditions can produce it. High light tanks aren't that simple really, as you will find that many nutrients and required elements will be in short supply as plants don't eat rocks, they have roots for something, so you have to make a balanced chemical soup they can survive on reasonably. There is a lot of science and monitoring in this end of planted tanks, so expect a lot of hit and miss and mistakes, there is much research to be done in this arena.

PuddleDuck

*cry* I just want nice plants!

So how much is a CO2 setup cost...I dont want to use the one I had because whatever regulates the bubbles broke and killed off my tank.  :'(

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Ok...whats better:  Double Linear Strip with 4-65 watt 6700 K Compact Fluorescent Lamps or T5 High Output 48" Double Light Fixture - With 2-Lifeglo II 54Watt T5 High Output Bulbs? The first one has 260w and the second only has 108 but then theyre differnt types.

Sorry guys Im lighting inept.

babblefish1960

This isn't actually a true statement, but compact fluorescents are nothing more than t-5's that bend back on themselves. If you think on it this way, it becomes simpler to choose.

The life glo works out to 1.35 watts per gallon, though with the reflectors it uses, makes better use of the light, however, this really makes it a low light arrangement.

4 lamp CF fixture puts a punch of 3.25 watts per gallon, and this is the higher end of medium lighting.

When you look at it simply, they are completely different, so hard to compare.

What you need to decide, is what sort of plants you want and match the lighting to this, or what sort of light you want, and match the plants to what is then available.

As for the cost of CO2, it depends on what you want to do. Pressurized is more reliable and less work, but requires a few hundred dollars. Homemade stuff is cheaper, less effective at getting the right amount throughout the tank reliably and consistently, but hey, money matters sometimes. If you don't want the fear of losing fish, stay away from needing CO2 added and stick to the lower light requiring plants.

PuddleDuck

Ok...lots to mull over.  ???

Again, thanks to everyone for their imput!

pitabread

Quote from: PuddleDuck on March 05, 2007, 10:46:46 PM
*cry* I just want nice plants!

I felt the same way when I tried planting my 48 gallon under only 60 watts of NO lighting.  Here I am two years later, and I've got 125 watts and pressurized CO2.

QuoteSo how much is a CO2 setup cost...I dont want to use the one I had because whatever regulates the bubbles broke and killed off my tank.  :'(

Pressurized CO2 (which is highly recommended, especially for the size tank you have) will probably run at least $200.  That's for a needle valve, regulator, and 5 lb cylinder.  If you get a 10 pound cylinder it will cost more, as will a solenoid switch (should you want one).  Plus, you'll need a diffuser like a bubble ladder or something similar which adds another $15 to $30 depending.

QuoteOk...whats better:  Double Linear Strip with 4-65 watt 6700 K Compact Fluorescent Lamps or T5 High Output 48" Double Light Fixture - With 2-Lifeglo II 54Watt T5 High Output Bulbs? The first one has 260w and the second only has 108 but then theyre differnt types.

Depends on what you want to keep.  The Power Compact setup will give you lots of light that will let you grow most anything (with CO2 and ferts, of course).  The T5 unit is definitely a lower light unit that will probably allow you to grow low to medium light plants.

PuddleDuck

Well I have my old C02 setup...I guess I could just have it fixed.

PuddleDuck

Ok I bought the PC setup...now is this going to melt my centerbrace if I sit it right on the glass?

BigDaddy

No.. it'll rest a couple of millimeters above the glass if it rests on the tank frame.  I have a 2 x 96 on a 33 with both fans toast (waiting for new ones from Coralife)... the unit gets too hot to touch... but the center brace is fine.  They don't generate THAT much heat

PuddleDuck

Thanks BD! Its one of those braces that comes with the glass canopy, but the lights just barely rest on the tank frame so I dont think it will be a problem.

PuddleDuck

I thinki I've had an algae bloom- my water looked green under the lights but it looks even worse now!! Think I need some hornwort...