New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Heads up - Noma digital timer on sale , great for your aquarium lights ect.

Started by charlie, February 18, 2007, 05:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

Well now that is an interesting response, I look forward to what their research and development have to say about that, as this is unlikely he never heard of that. Ask at any industrial light store and the person behind the counter will tell you the very same.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 05, 2007, 10:00:32 PM
This certainly got my attention , so i contacted Coralife( Central aquatics),below is a copy of their reply- will post if & when they have more informed info.

To: Rob Moneyhan
Subject: Digital timers & electronic ballast

Hello Rob, I read the following post on our local fish club`s web site, and since i use digital timers on all my coralife light fixtures ( 4 x compact flourscent & 1 T5 48 inch ), i`m interested in hearing your take on this speculation.

quote from web site -I tried digital timers a few times over the years, and I was told that you cannot use them with electronic ballast. The reason as expressed to me, was that electronic devices such as digital timers as compared to mechanical timers, is one of electrical leakage. Now I realize there will be a few that will say nonsense, they've used theirs for a long time without negative effects. Barring this pending outburst of incredulity, I will just say that the purpose of the leakage is to keep the article on the timers primed, or warmed up if you prefer. Electonic ballasts, I'm told, don't suffer this foible very well at all, in fact, because the starting process, which is not the same as starters on magnetic ballasts, never gets a chance to rest, there is imminent early failure of these ballast from having a continuous charge, albeit a small one,this is a direct result of the continual supply of a wee bit of electricity.

Thanking you for your anticipated response

Errol,

Interesting, this is the first time I have heard anything about this. I have never personally witnessed this phenomenon nor the early degradation of electronic ballasts as a result. I am going to forward this email on to our R&D department to see what they have to say.

Regards,

Rob M.

Product Lines Tech. Support Dpt.

Central Aquatics

Phone:  1-800-255-4527, Ext. 1215

Fax:  1-800-398-0396

Email: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the updated reply from Coralife

Dear Errol,

I got the scoop. Digital timers of the X10 (X10 technology is used in
many controller units such as Neptune, and Octopus controllers) type
where it sends a signal across electric wires can cause problems with
certain types of electronic ballasts. Icecap ballasts are one of those.
Electronic ballasts that mimic the magnetic start ballasts are not
affected. The Coral Life, and All-Glass electronic ballast mimic the
magnetic ballast and should have no reaction to digital timers.
Non X10 type digital timers such as the ESU digital power center or the
$11.99 digital timer from Menards or Home Depot, use a shut off system
where the circuit is broken when the timer turns off.

Regards,

Rob M.
Product Lines Tech. Support Dpt.
Central Aquatics
Phone:  1-800-255-4527, Ext. 1215
Fax:  1-800-398-0396
Email: 

babblefish1960

Thanks for the update, good for you for pursuing the truth of the situation, I didn't think I was crazy or given to wild claims, so it is good to see that you have now educated the fellow from coralife, it is good too to have the exact reason why it doesn't work properly as well.

Definitely good news, so what this fellow is saying is that not all electronic ballasts are necessarily the same, as well as not all timers are constructed the same either. Very good to know.

BigDaddy

Just as an FYI.. I'm pretty sure All-Glass uses rebranded Fulham Workhorse ballasts in their setups.. although I could be wrong

dpatte

I had to change the ballast in an all-glass fixture, and it was a fulcrum workhorse clone or rebranded when i opened it, and thats what I replaced it with - fulcrum.

I use alot of X10s around the house, but none on my tanks.