New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Who is from Upper Ottawa Valley - Pembroke, Petawawa, Renfrew?

Started by ChristinaRk, March 10, 2009, 01:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristinaRk

Hi,

I am a new member of OVAS and am located in Petawawa.  I have just started into the world of saltwater and am wondering who in this forum is from the Upper Ottawa area and if there are any local meetings taking place?

Anyone interested if there isnt?  Just meet once a month for coffee/desert, perhaps at the Irvine Big Stop?

Thanks

ChristinaRk
29gal Nano Tank with Live rock and not much else.  :)

charlie

Welcome , there are a few folks scattered in the Valley, the club does have monthly meetings with the exception of a few months & they are a couple of members from the Pembroke area who make the trip down to most of them, unfortunately they do not use the on line community.See the link for more details.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=2

Dave and Diane

Greetings ,
We are located in Petawawa also.
Getting a Red Sea Max 34 in about a month taking the plunge into salt.
At present we have fresh water, specializing in South American Cichlids mainly Apisto .
Did the African theme and have changed.

Cheers

dan2x38

Welcome Christina noce to meet you. if you are ever in the area check out our meetings. This month there is a speaker on breeding clown fish should be very interesting. There is a great bunch here with tons of information to share. Look forward to your posts and one day seeing you at a meeting.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Aiglos

I am "from" the Ottawa Valley.  I lived in Petawawa for 5 years, although I no longer live there now.

How is the Fish store on Petawawa Blvd doing ? I really enjoyed that store.

Dave and Diane

The local Fish store on the BLVD is doing well.
They have filled all the orders that we have requested.
The Fish store in Renfrew has stores in Pembroke also now.

Bob the Nano

Hey all I live in pembroke and I buy and do all my hobby stuff here in pembroke.

sas

Hiya ChristinaRk,
I'm just down the highway from the Big Stop, but only into FW.
There's actually quite a few of us in the area. There was a carpool to the last giant auction
in March, unfortunately didn't make it do to prior commitments.
Hopefully next year.
Drop me a line and when I hear of anyone going to a meeting etc.,
I'll get in touch.
I usually make one meeting a year.

Cheers Sue

ChristinaRk

Thanks for all the replies.

I will definately try to make it to a meeting in Ottawa sometime.  I just dont like driving at night, so I might wait til summer to attempt that.

The store in Pet is still going strong, however they dont deal in any saltwater, which is unfortunate since I live only blocks from there.  :(

I deal mainly with Rick's Hobbies in Pembroke.  He has been great.  Just looking for the local people into salt to perhaps frag trade, etc.  Went to Ottawa for some frag buying on Friday and found some great stuff.  But it would be so nice to find people in the upper ottawa as I dont go to the city much.

Looking forward to meeting everyone someday,

ChristinaRk

Bob the Nano

Quote from: ChristinaRk on March 16, 2009, 01:23:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I will definately try to make it to a meeting in Ottawa sometime.  I just dont like driving at night, so I might wait til summer to attempt that.

The store in Pet is still going strong, however they dont deal in any saltwater, which is unfortunate since I live only blocks from there.  :(

I deal mainly with Rick's Hobbies in Pembroke.  He has been great.  Just looking for the local people into salt to perhaps frag trade, etc.  Went to Ottawa for some frag buying on Friday and found some great stuff.  But it would be so nice to find people in the upper ottawa as I dont go to the city much.

Looking forward to meeting everyone someday,

ChristinaRk

I plan to do some frag trading as soon as my tank is mature.... who knows how long that will take...lol. I often make day trips to the city with my kids to look at the diff LFS to see whats new and exciting. I'm not sure about the meetings yet but we'll see, My wife already thinks I spend too much time and money as it is 8)

ChristinaRk

Quote from: Bob the Nano on March 16, 2009, 04:01:32 PM
I plan to do some frag trading as soon as my tank is mature.... who knows how long that will take...lol. I often make day trips to the city with my kids to look at the diff LFS to see whats new and exciting. I'm not sure about the meetings yet but we'll see, My wife already thinks I spend too much time and money as it is 8)

Where abouts are you in the UOV, Bob?

tskinner

I'm also located in Petawawa and have recently started up my second saltwater tank.  Will be closing down my biggest one in a month or so and selling off all livestock as I'm moving this summer.  All the livestock will be posted on here but if anyone in the pet/pembroke area is interested, I could send them a pm with the prices and what I have before I post it here.

Bob the Nano

Quote from: ChristinaRk on March 16, 2009, 06:37:20 PM
Where abouts are you in the UOV, Bob?

I live in Pembroke Christina, and to the post above me I would really like a chance to see your live stock if you can send me a pm when its time to take down your tank!!

Rex

I lived in Renfrew for almost a year, I started up my first planted tank with Rick's help, really great guy. Started with a 20 gallon and got everything from his shop =)

Highly recommend Rick's Hobbies and Aquaria. The selection obviously isn't as extensive as the city, but the level of service is un matched.