New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My vinegar eel experiment. Free fish food.

Started by Slipper, March 02, 2018, 09:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slipper

I am getting involved in live foods. Member Cdylniki recommended vinegar eels to me as an easy to keep live food. So the research began and I came across a article by Ripleys believe it or not "THE SCIENCE OF VINEGAR EELS".
Which states if you one part half natural Apple cider vinegar with half treated water, and drop in a couple of pieces of Apple.  In a week you will get vinegar eels.

Well on February 21 I mixed up a mason jar with some tank water and natural Apple cider vinegar and an apple. Now today I have a jar full of wee little wigglers, it works.
Despite all the posts stating that it wouldn't. Kind of nice that that it works. Give it a try.  Free(ish) live food!

George2

Your post got me interested in trying this. I found the article and am going to give it a try!  :)

https://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/the-science-of-vinegar-eels/

George

Slipper

That's the one George.  Lots of nay sayers on the fish forums "you cant get something from nothing". Yet at the same time there are tonnes of posts in hippie fermentation boards saying "Dude what is swimming in my kombucha?"

I used the vinegar from Costco, made sure I shook it to evenly spread out the mother's, and used some tank water with a peaked Apple(better chance of getting rid of pesticides).  Now I have nematodes. Awesome.

Black_Rose

The organic vinegar from Costco?

That's what I bought to use with the starter culture I received at the October meeting.

Slipper

Hi Black_Rose the one I use is mother earth vinegar, organic Apple cider vinegar. With the " mother" from Costco.

cdylnicki

Hey slipper! Im so happy to hear things are working.  Have you used any for food yet?

Greg_N

So cool, Now I've gotta try this. Thanks for sharing this. :)