New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

unknown organism in tank

Started by soleil1980, March 24, 2013, 08:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleil1980

hi everyone!

My tank is a 60g with 1 bushynose pleco and black moscow guppies.  Before that, the tank was empty... it never had anything else in it.  I also have java fern.

Last month, I had a ick outbreak but everything seems to be healing ok.  I started treating with heat and salt and it wasn't working so I bought ick medecine.  In the process, I lost 9 males and one female guppy.  Two weeks ago, the light burnt out but I didn't replace it until today.  When I replaced the light earlier today, I noticed some "bugs" swimming around... what are they?!?

You will notice in the video one of the female guppies with a messed up tail (results of what I thought was ick)  but now I am not sure what is going on.

I have one ick treatment left to do, I removed the carbon filters before treating and I put melafix in today to help with the messed up fins and tails.  Everyone seems to be ok otherwise but the "bugs" or worrying me.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMT67Gg3nhs&feature=youtu.be
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

cdylnicki

they look like water fleas.  Don't worry they're harmless - if anything your guppies will eat them.

wrm130

No need to worry.  Those are springtails or "scuds".  Great live food, they wont hurt anything.   They eat rotting organic matter.  The only drawback is they can be distrating:p

soleil1980

ok thank you... that`s a relief... but where do they come from?
2 x 5.5g male bettas
2.5g male betta

wrm130

my guess would be hitchhiking on plants.  where'd your plants come from?

soleil1980

big Al's... but I bought them at least 2 months ago... unless they came with the water from the guppies... I didn't pour the bag in but maybe they got caught in the net.
2 x 5.5g male bettas
2.5g male betta

angelcraze

To comment on the "messed up guppy tail", I had a velvet outbreak (similar to ich) in my platy tank recently, I treated with salt and ich meds too, and one survivor platy has a clear patch on his tail like your guppy, I think it's just scar tissue, it hasn't gotten worse or changed since.
About the "unknown organism", I think it's pretty interesting that it survived the ich treatment too,  but yeah, those things should get eaten up by the guppies, free live food!!!
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!