New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Started new salt setup

Started by donkey_mittens, March 13, 2012, 10:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkey_mittens

New salt setup started, very early stages.

I know there is not enough rock yet (to darn expensive to get all at once.)
Wanted to set up a overflow sump system but to decided to hang for now due to costs and lack of knowledge on sumps.
Will upgrade the lights when I get corals.

(if you saw the small heater in the picture, no worries its being changed today had to pick up a bigger one today going from a 50w to 200w heater)
Still lots of work to get everything started, but still a good start for now.

Have any ideas to help save me money please post, I will also gladly read any tips you have.

Severum

Keep an eye out for used stuff in the Classifieds. I've seen live rock go for $2.50/lb. Now you'll likely have to "cook" it, but its still a good deal.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

donkey_mittens

I found someone online that would take 60 f0r 60lbs but every email is like 3 days a part its a pain, but always watching

brotherluv

Depending how fast you want things to cycle you might be able to find some dry rock that your current LR will seed...this will take a while though.  Not sure how much cheaper it will be...something to look into though...no hitch hikers this way also.

Dakotamay

If you decide to go with Eco or Marco rock. I know of two people that have it reasonably priced. The first is Forty Fathoms a site sponsor here but is in Gan. His is $3.50 a pound. The second is JD on here. Also a site sponsor I believe. He's in Brockville. I saw his ad in the classifieds I think it was $3.00 a pound.
I'd say your best choice is to go with the Eco or Marco and let your current live rock seed that.

DrReefer

+1 for seeding some dry rock with your LR

One of your main expence in setting up a tank will be your LR you can cut the price in half if using dry/base rock. Look at the DIY forums for good ideas for filter media. I got a 33 gal tank, 2x aquaclear 50 filters and a heater on Usedottawa for 40$. Look around for deals and Keep us posted on your build :D