New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

Thanks for all the well-wishing about the tank, however at this point, the builder is not budging and it looks like it's take it as-is, or go to small-claims court.  I'm running out of creative ideas and it's extremely difficult when one party is unwilling to even offer solutions or ideas.

Vincenzo.

sorry to hear. U gone try and drill it? What about buying the euro glass and caulking it urself? Do u really need 13? Can u make due with 12? From trina, she said the black caulk looked steller and brought a good point about how clear cilly never stays clear, and how black will not fade.

Hookup

Black caulking... i'm good with... happy with even

Non-Starfire Euro will be covered with stainless steel (brushed) and will look sexy.

If we cannot get the 13th hole (which cannot be added, the bottom is now tempered, I will look at several options regarding plumbing.  None of which I'm thrilled about at this time, but I've got some ideas.  Including a custom cnc machined bulk-head...

Snider82

sounds like you have figured out and are somewhat happy with what you got.    if you can figure something out with the "hole" issue,   perhaps it wouldn't be worth paying a lawyer for small claims.        i hope you work something out!   im excited to see some pic's.    please take a pic of the smashed up wall!  =)

Hookup

True enough... i'm happy to be moving forward.... well soon anyhow... I feel like your avatar...

Canoe

Quote from: Hookup on November 24, 2009, 06:56:49 PM
... I've got some ideas.  Including a custom cnc machined bulk-head...

This is the most economical option - and it allows you to keep the designed flow pattern provided you can get the flow rates through - but I doubt it needs to be CNCed.

Rather than a custom bulkhead, I'd suggest using a standard bulkhead with a custom pipe to achieve the same functionality (keeps the reliability and integrity by using a standard schedule bulkhead):

• solid rod, threaded on the outside to fit the bulkhead (or an off-the-shelf threaded tube, filled & bonded with a solid rod?),
  • drill/machine two channels through the solid rod to function as separate bulkheads. The cross-section of channels through the rod at the bulkhead do not have to be circles, allowing for maximum flow rates from maximum cross-section areas. (Don't have to be equal size, but as you're directing the return to different holes I assume your design wants them to be equal)
  • the drilled/machined channels may benefit from annealing to provide a smoother surface (less fouling, easier to clean) to the machined surfaces (manufacturer's specs will provide annealing details appropriate to the plastic used).
  • once you have the rod machined to seal and provide two channels, if a simple sealing cap on the end with drilled or drilled & tapped won't provide the connections you need, then additional rod can be machined and bonded (with additional sealing collar?) to either end to provide the connections you desire.
  • depending on type of bulkhead, additional machining may be required:

• continuously threaded bulkhead - you're good to go;
    • sealing flange in the middle with threads both sides - the rod needs to be narrowed to fit past the sealing flange
[/list]
If you're willing to choose a continuously threaded bulkhead, then you can have the largest cross-section flow area.

Snider82

Quote from: Hookup on November 24, 2009, 08:07:20 PM
True enough... i'm happy to be moving forward.... well soon anyhow... I feel like your avatar...

LOL.  yea,   i actualy forgot about that. 

audioslave_36

so what is the name of this manufacture that no one else should have a tank built by? maybe then then might regret their decision. By the sounds of your plans so far, this was going to be a huge "business card" for their work.

Tyler.L

its not good to slander the company it was a mistake and dealing with it and speaking with them....i'm sure everything will work out in the end but its not good to blast them on the forum until things are resolved...

audioslave_36

not quite sure how you felt I slandered anyone  ???

look back a few post of your own and see where you were egging Tim on to start ranting about the tank maker,  guess you should also think before you type!

salvini55

Hey Tim, what fish do you plan on putting in there? Big fish, lots of small, a mix?

veron

some input from a big tank owner with euro bracing. why starphire glass for euro?? it makes no difference at all for the eurobracing. it won't change the way your corals will look seriously ;) the way the light exstends from you reflector it won\t be hampered or green.

13th hole, let me know, I,ll drill it for cheap and I'll even come to you house. I drilled 10 holes in mine.
black silicone you'll get used to it.

don't sweat the euro at all. in fact they probally used thicker float glass for the bracing because star usually only comes in 1/2'' thickness unless laminated.

salvini55

You must be superman to be able to drill tempered glass! your my hero

Vincenzo.

veron

ahh having read a bit more, you had the bottom drilled 12 times ! and then tempered, brave soul. have to see this tank someday.

Hookup

Quote from: veron on November 28, 2009, 06:46:53 AM
some input from a big tank owner with euro bracing. why starphire glass for euro?? it makes no difference at all for the eurobracing. it won't change the way your corals will look seriously ;) the way the light exstends from you reflector it won\t be hampered or green.
You probably already caught up in the thread veron, but the startphire glass on this tank is visible to the eye.  There is no canopy.  This creates a hard-green line around the top of the tank which is quite unsightly, IMO.   If there was a canopy on the tank, then you're right, it's no difference what so ever, but alais, there is not, so something will have to be done.

BTW, ty for the offer to drill the 13th hole, you've seen the temepered part... but ty for the offer.

Quote from: salvini55 on November 28, 2009, 12:58:18 AM
Hey Tim, what fish do you plan on putting in there? Big fish, lots of small, a mix?
Wrasse-fantasticness.  I want to get mostly fish that are highly functional in the tank... Dragonface pipefish are going in for sure as are mandrin fish... i'm keeping several of my current swimmers, but I'm pretty sure the clowns are going... nice fish, but w/o an annomenomneny to host in their taking up space IMO.  The yellow-bellied regal tang is staying, i like the blue color... the convict tang & yellow tang are likely staying as well... aurora gobie staies royal gramma stays (he's now over 16months in my tank)...

Anthais are not on the list... btw... nor are any reef-safe-with-caution fish... cept maybe a copper banded butterfly... cause man they are the cats pajamas.

JD

What no clowns? Just get them an enemy and you're good to go.

Contains Moose

The original drawing shows only 12 holes, can you show where the 13th should be?

bitterman

JD

I count thirteen holes. The holes for input mass flow, where are they?