New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

It's one of the two cyan colored ones on the left hand side... pick one, doesn't matter, their both the same, and do the same thing....

The concept is that the two closed-loops draw in water from the two left-hand-side holes (cyan) creating negative "space" on that side of the tank, starting the mass-motion/barrel roll around the system.  The green holes are from CL1 that continues to promote the mass-motion/barrel roll around the system in an anti-clockwise direction.

The second CL is on an oceans motions 4-way adding the variable non-laminar flow in the tank.

At this point, the holes reflect the first diagram posted as it was what the builder used as a pattern.  You'll notice that there was no second-closed loop input on that diagram.

Contains Moose

Let me layer both pics together so we can see the best way to solve the problem, all the holes are drilled for 1 1/2" bulkheads? correct?

Hookup

Yes, all the holes are drilled for 1.5" bulkheads.

Somethings that the design *must* have is proper and balanced flow for the closed loops.  Splitting closed loop outputs is not an option because there is no way to control and tune/change the flow characteristics if the split is on the inside of the tank driven by a single ball-valve.  Additionally, the turbid, non-linear flow must be created throughout the entire reef-rock work system.

I do realize that there are ways to make things work and I appericiate any options and suggestions people have.  HOwever, recognize that the 13holes were a result of the design characteristics that I wanted as features in a custom-built tank and at the price I paid, I did not expect to have to compromise.

1. Mass-flow/Laminar flow through one CL - this ensures that no matter how dense the corals get, the kentic energy in the mass-motion keeps flow going into and around the corals.

2. Turbid flow through a second CL + OM4Way - this counter-acts the mass-motion to ensure detritus doesn't get built-up/piled up in places.  Over time, I expect to have to stop the closed loops and use a power-head to blast the reef.  This would likely be monthly maintenance.

3. Two drain lines simulating a herbie-style overflow and a single return line

4. Every line can be tuned and controlled with a ball valve ensuring that I can create and modify the flow as corals mature

5. CL would be driven off of Gold-Series Hammerheads from Sequence.  Initially these might be restricted as they are 6200gph pumps, but as per feature 4 above, I'd have all the flexibility in the world to control this.

Suggestions appreciated.

Snider82

wowzerz!   i wish i could live inside your head just for 5 min's!     i think i'v read most of this thread 5-6 times now.  your one crazy man Tim!   

Contains Moose

Quote from: Contains Moose on December 01, 2009, 07:23:25 PM
Let me layer both pics together so we can see the best way to solve the problem, all the holes are drilled for 1 1/2" bulkheads? correct?

here they are together

Canoe

how much space below the glass bottom - can a low-resistance flow solution to put two channels in one bulkhead take five inches to split into two pipe connections?

and how much space above the glass can a pipe take to turn to be able to have one continue vertical for the original holes purpose and the other turn to the side to head where the missing hole is (it appears that it can run under rock all the way?)

Contains Moose

Quote from: Hookup on December 01, 2009, 07:44:57 PM
Yes, all the holes are drilled for 1.5" bulkheads.
Splitting closed loop outputs is not an option because there is no way to control and tune/change the flow characteristics if the split is on the inside of the tank driven by a single ball-valve. 

who said we would split using a single ball valve? each split can be controlled independently.

salvini55

Quote from: Hookup on November 29, 2009, 09:52:16 AM
Wrasse-fantasticness.  I want to get mostly fish that are highly functional in the tank... Dragonface pipefish are going in for sure as are mandrin fish... i'm keeping several of my current swimmers, but I'm pretty sure the clowns are going... nice fish, but w/o an annomenomneny to host in their taking up space IMO.  The yellow-bellied regal tang is staying, i like the blue color... the convict tang & yellow tang are likely staying as well... aurora gobie staies royal gramma stays (he's now over 16months in my tank)...

Anthais are not on the list... btw... nor are any reef-safe-with-caution fish... cept maybe a copper banded butterfly... cause man they are the cats pajamas.

Totally agree with the pipefish. Not only are they cool but they eat all those nasty tank invaders! CBB is my number one fish on my list right now! I have been reading for months about them and im still iffy' Ill prolly get one inplace of a tang. Slowly i am drifting away from anthias as well, I may just get more gobys instead IDK. All this has to wait for a new skimmer and thats gonna be a while... (Put the bike away for the winter  :'( and bought a car.)

Reading through the "13th hole" posts is starting to get me confused... Im still convinced that you are building a robotic butler.

veron

one thing to remember, don't overthink this to much because in my 8+ years of tanks one thing I do know,things change. you'll be redoing your rockwork more than 1 time for sure!
also,corals will grow and change your waterflow anyways. I kepted my closed loop simple and let powerheads become the adjustable factor.
just don't get to frustrated from the getgo. If you wanna stop by sometime to see how my closed loop works in all its gettoness feel free. :)

Hookup

THE ATI POWERMOUDLE ARRIVED!  In all of it's 60 inches of GLORY and SEXYNESS.  Here are some photos!

The box in my living room when it arrived... a big sucker for sure.

Nice packing materials... This sucker was bomb-proof... I love quality packing, it usually means the MFG cares about their products.

Checking out the glory

Do you see this thing... frigg'n awesomeness.

Now that's some reflector-awesome... (All we did is pull the plexi out of the way, I didn't want to peel it until the day it's used.)

The final installation place... IMO it looks pretty darn good there... no?

The goofy little plug that runs the fans in the module... IMO this could be higher quality... it works, looks solid, but has no SEXY what so ever.

Now that is something to talk about, amiright?

Snider82

SWEET light fixture!  can we get a shot of where the tank is going to be?       im getting more excited!

Hookup

Tanks going right where Pat and I are holding it up... The painting on the wall is hiding the test-hole in the wall, which is about to get bigger.

Cheebs

Holy cow! I just bought a house, and seeing this is making me want to do the same thing. That is one helluva light! Can't wait to see it it set up with the tank.

salvini55

Holly crow! What a beast. Is it ten fans or five? sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick! U made me laugh abaout the plug, its true. finally something to look at!

PS - wicked rug

Hookup

Thanks, the rug is IKEA cow...

There are two bulbs per fan, 5 fans total over 10 lights.  The cool thing is that the fans are off-center, length wise... they are about 75% of the way down the length of the light... and they push air into the fixture.... The air goes in the top, and is forced towards the short-side (25% travel) where it warms that end of the bulb from heat already picked up... then it travels the full length back towards the other side where it exits... this keeps the entire bulb at a more uniform heat level, producing better/optimal conditions for the bulb.  Pretty sexy if you ask me.

johnrt

That is one amazing looking lamp. I'm just trying to imagine all that light poring out the bottom of almost nothing - thin or what!

John T

Vincenzo.

salvini55

Tim im glad you answered my question I didnt ask. With that info Im going to mod the Tek light for some fans! done deal

Hookup

Quote from: salvini55 on December 06, 2009, 12:03:03 AM
Tim im glad you answered my question I didnt ask. With that info Im going to mod the Tek light for some fans! done deal

Throw some photos into a thread for us would ya, when you get into it.

Severum

I think it looks like Pat is getting a big ol' thumb print on your reflector when he's holding the fixture up. You may want to check into out.  :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef