New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Lightning

That's wicked! Barry White and the homeless population would approve.

Snider82

im just kidding tim.   you should really have your f/p switch seperate,  its not against the gas code,  but im sure its against electrical code.     - im not sure what you have for your fireplace, but i normaly see a thermostat controling the f/p- if this is the case, most cases the t-stat is too big to be in a 3-gang box.

sdivell

Fireplace must be on a dedicated circuit.

Hookup

No thermistat, we manually control it, though we are in need of someone to help us figure out what kind of fan we need, and install it, or tell me roughly what's involved so I can install it...

I've no idea if the FP is on its own circut, but given it's a builders install, and it would have had to be inspected, there's at least a 30% chance it was done right... LOL...

My father was over and mentioned that the low-voltage circuit should not be in the same box as the 120v circuits... he's a retired electrician, but for industrial codes, not home building... so I wanted to confirm... I do not actually plan on changing it, I just want to know what lines I'm crossing.. ;)

More photos to follow tonight... I've completed the stand, painted & trimmed... having dinner now.. photos soon.

Vincenzo.

hope ur stand is level :D and your a better with a brush than a sawzzall. as for the electrical, i think its the same as commercial. normally fireplace, washer/dryer, dishwater .. and so on.. have their own circuit.

Hookup

Well there's the photos... but here's the bad-news.... The tank stand is about 1" too "deep".  Given the dining room is already pressed for space, I'm going to take the tank apart and shave that inch back... I know it's a butt-load of work for only 1", but in my world 1" is a huge amount... (Figured I'd pre-empt that slam)..

However, you can really see how the tank-stand is going to look when it's finished.. cause well it's going to look just like that but an inch "thinner".

guyfish

I'm assuming that you meant taking the stand apart, not the tank.... You had me scared for a sec... After all this time, I was worried we'd never get to see pics of that missing hole. :)

salvini55

Tyler.L

Quote from: Hookup on January 03, 2010, 06:26:41 PM
I know it's a butt-load of work for only 1", but in my world 1" is a huge amount... (Figured I'd pre-empt that slam)..

and yes one inch to any man is alot.....unless you're me lol

ya that stand fits that room so well now my god!

as for the one inch thing...thats not as bad as a guy on rc who did a plywood tank (1000g-10')and built the base and then started to frame the sides etc and realized it was 4 inches to tall. He had to jack certain parts of the 10' stand that was already built into the room and shave 4" off...and the stand was ridiculous weighed like 500-600lbs...so you're not that bad..

Hookup

That would suck.. I figure 3 hours and I'll have it all back together they way it should be...  I will probably wait until I have the tank in my living room and get an EXACT dimension... just make it neat-and-tidy like...

I've got to work on the overflow/return line system prototyped up and working... um... find a way to mount the lights, that I'ma going to like... possibly including automated up-down re-tractor-ness of awesome....

That'd be my goal... but no rush.. the DIY rock is a 3-4 week process, so I got loads of time now... just getting the tank onto the stand and the plumbing trees complete... that will be 100% win.

Vincenzo.

looks nice tim. cant  wait to see it stained. bummer u have to rip it for 1'', but it'll be worth it.

bitterman

Nice progress! Good luck with the stand modifications!

Bruce

Cheebs

Looking good. Still waiting to a see a pic of the tank itself :D

Contains Moose

Quote from: Cheebs on January 05, 2010, 07:13:26 PM
Looking good. Still waiting to a see a pic of the tank itself :D

I don't think there us a tank, it is going to be a hologram complete with a missing hole.

salvini55

Quote from: Contains Moose on January 05, 2010, 07:22:03 PM
I don't think there us a tank, it is going to be a hologram complete with a missing hole.

^ knee slapper

Cheebs

Ahaha nice, maybe it's all a myth ;) Hook us up Hookup :D

This thing's going to be glorious, I'm very interested because I'm looking into setting up a 180 within the next year.

Hookup

Thanks everyone... More work will happen soon... I need to get the tank from storage and get'r into the stand.  I also need to do several other things...

I almost wiped my frigg'n system yesterday, so i'm recovering from that boneheaded move...  Let's say, if you're going to use your skimmer as a water-change, do not forget about it for 24hours and run everything dry... then completely over-dose baling salts into your sump as an isolated system, and just fire things up...   I've been re-introducing my sump to my tank for the past 36hours trying to get the two-water bodies re-ballanced... oh, and of course, I flooded the basement in the process...   

You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out... frigg'n HOKEY POKEY around here... ;)

Rybren

Tim,

I feel for ya.

I once did the skimmer - WC routine and forgot about it.  BCW (beautiful & charming wife) came to me and said "honey, why is the floor so wet?" 

I hate those "oh sh!t" moments
120G Reef

salvini55

skimmer waterchange... sounds like a good idea.
I dont think ive gotten out of bed faster than when i heard "Kev... ... The floor is soaked..." and I remembered the RO was running, all night. At least it was just the RO  8)