New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

Some more photos of the plumbing.

Random

More plumbing

Hookup

As you can see we are filling the tank to do a series of flow tests.  The goal was to ensure that once we encased the pipes in cement that the flow was already "ideal" or as close as possible.  So we filled er up and turned on the closed loop pumps....  Now all that was needed was a way to see the flow...

Yes, frozen corn.  Almost nutrally boyant, but slight tendancy to sink...  So in goes a bag and on go the pumps... and we are in a corn-storm!

(VIDEO OF THIS FROM REDBELLY eventually)

Hookup

now that the plumbing is all tuned out the entire pipe works are transfered to a board with matched holes to the bottom of the tank so that it could be worked on safely...

Cement is added over a period of about 4 weeks.   This is the only photo of the process.  Mainly because it was a mess and I was just getting the job done... this was getting old and I wanted to power thru...

Hookup

And the final product... these 4 taken tonight.

Hookup

So that brings you all up to date.

There is a to-do list, when isn't there...

The SUMP room is getting a complete overhaul tomorrow evening (that's the plan anyhow) including a new skimmer (ORCA PRO II) and some new layout.  I've decided to recycle the 120gallon temp tank as a water making and mixing station.  I'll throw in a divider and have a 60gal RO/DI reservoir and a 60g salt-mix reservoir.  I will be adding in all kinds of pumps and a control (switch) panel to move water from chamber to chamber and in and out of the system in a very easy fashion... thats a project for much later though.. After a year, i'm a bit projected out...

The display is currenlty NOT connected to the sump, which is why you see a lower waterline in the final photos.  That will be fixed this week as well...

I have only two fish in the display.  ONE yellow Assessor and ONE Yellow-Bellied Hippo Tang.  I will post up a stocking list (or ideas) later...

MILLIPORA and MONTIPORA are pretty much going to dominate this tank.  I just love them and the colors...

MOST (80%) of my coral stock is forsale... postings to come, but it is a possible hidden agenda for an upcoming salty-sundays.... ;)

Rybren

Talk about Reefer Madness.  You truly are an addict.

Thanks for the update.  It was, I'm sure, a ton of work, but the results are phenomenal.  You guys did an awesome job on covering the pipes.  Would you use the Emco (?) product again?

I'm sure that in time, the tank will truly be a sight to behold.  Great job!
120G Reef

Severum

That is a pretty amazing build. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Brent Shaver

I am no saltie but I can say that is some awesome work, cant wait to see it once it is stocked and established.

Well done

JD

I can truly appreciate the time required to execute your dream.

Good job! Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Hookup

Quote from: Rybren on December 07, 2010, 07:23:17 PM
Talk about Reefer Madness.  You truly are an addict.

Thanks for the update.  It was, I'm sure, a ton of work, but the results are phenomenal.  You guys did an awesome job on covering the pipes.  Would you use the Emco (?) product again?

I'm sure that in time, the tank will truly be a sight to behold.  Great job!

Thanks very much Rybren for the help and motivation. 

I would not recommend the EMACO S88CI for this project.  It has some properties that I did not like.  Though this was the only product that I knew of... therefore the choice was more straight forward.

Hookup

Quote from: Severum on December 07, 2010, 10:06:04 PM
That is a pretty amazing build. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Thanks very much.  I'm not done with photos... I was looking at them last night, and more over, looking at the tank and really want to take some better quality photos.  Look for more regular updates.

Hookup

Quote from: Brent Shaver on December 07, 2010, 10:08:50 PM
I am no saltie but I can say that is some awesome work, cant wait to see it once it is stocked and established.

Well done

Thanks Brent.  The rebuild, which is captured in the photos just posted, will ring in at about 200 man hours.  I really have to thank many people who contributed, but above all redbelly was a driving force more than once, calling me to tell me it was time to keep working... and to get my but out of the chair.... the coming over and getting my butt out of the chair... he is a champion and the success of this build is directly related to his experience and knowledge... of course if it fails it's because I enforced my ideas over his recommendations... so on that note, we know where the weaknesses are.

Hookup

Quote from: JD on December 08, 2010, 05:28:25 AM
I can truly appreciate the time required to execute your dream.

Good job! Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Thanks pal.  I know you have an amazing setup (multiple) and have more water flowing through pvc pipes in your house than air in your duct work....  and your corals are a pretty impressive site, at least the last time i saw them ;)

If I can get my tank to 1/2 what your's is, i'll be a happy guy.

PS: i'm looking for interesting monti and milli's.

sas

I'm no saltie either but what you have done is beautiful!

Hookup

Quote from: sas on December 08, 2010, 09:41:09 AM
I'm no saltie either but what you have done is beautiful!

Thank you SAS for your kind words.  This project has taken 13 months to complete and really so much credit goes to my wife.  Her tolerance for having the house torn'up for that long is outstanding, then when you add to it that this is on the main floor of our house, in the area we live in every single day, and having to look at disaster for 13months is really a testament to how lucky I am.

holachicka

Wow Tim - my mouth drooped when I saw the last picture...what an amazing set-up. I have enjoyed reading this thread over the last year and thank you for sharing these latest pictures. Congrats on a job well done - to you and all your helpers! Just breathtaking!

Hookup

Quote from: holachicka on December 08, 2010, 11:21:38 AM
Wow Tim - my mouth drooped when I saw the last picture...what an amazing set-up. I have enjoyed reading this thread over the last year and thank you for sharing these latest pictures. Congrats on a job well done - to you and all your helpers! Just breathtaking!

Thanks chicka... This has felt like an epic adventure, but I am so energized just looking at the results... which are two fish and a jumble of corals... I cannot wait to get some livestock going again in a week or so when things settle out....

Saltcreep

I must admit, I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I will read it all now.

That's a very novel approach to an in-wall tank. Love the look. Don't know if I have the patience to design and build that plumbing system though.

Awesome job - looks fantastic. I'm envious, and inspired.

Hookup

Quote from: Saltcreep on December 08, 2010, 11:31:28 AM
I must admit, I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I will read it all now.

That's a very novel approach to an in-wall tank. Love the look. Don't know if I have the patience to design and build that plumbing system though.

Awesome job - looks fantastic. I'm envious, and inspired.

Glad you like what we were able to accomplish.  There is so much to do, but it will be fun now.

salt-lik

Quote from: Hookup on December 07, 2010, 06:22:09 PM
The Closed Loop input screens were created by gluing two screens together and cutting a hole in the top of one (or bottom depending on your point of view) so that it could thread onto a fitting.

Cool.  I like that.  Can you please explain this input screen a bit more?  What's the material used for the screens?  Where did you get it?