New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

corydoras + africans = danger ?????

Started by k-dogg, March 17, 2007, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k-dogg

i need a clean-up crew for a cichlid tank. can cory's hack it, or will they get hacked up ???

babblefish1960

Water parameters are so very different, I would suggest you look for something else. Equally important would have to be what sort of African fish you have. You cannot put South American softwater acidic fish with North African hardwater basic fish and expect them to flourish or even survive, the cory's are too delicate for that sort of water.

k-dogg

i'm guessing you recommend the good ole' pleco.... i just wish there was something else. i'm not a huge fan.

groan

MTS and BN's i suppose.
i dont know if the Syno cats are any good a cleanup crew but i suppsoe they are good for cleaning up uneaten food (which is rare in an african tank...)

sniggir

I realy like the BN they are nice looking fish... and most don't get huge... you can get them off Loyed right now 3 for 10 dollars
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

k-dogg

Holy Crap !!!!
i ended up buying 2 "rubber nose" pleco's from SP Barrhaven yesterday for $14.98 ea. + tax. guess i should have shopped on the board.

Nerine

rubber lips?

bushy nose are nicer than rubber lip plecos! :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Jesse

I personally like the rubbernose/rubber lip/striped bulldog plecos better than the BN's when it comes to looks. Now gold bushynose are a different story! PS I saw you buy those, I was the guy behiind the counter talking about betta fish 8)

k-dogg

well, either way they seem to be doing a great job at cleaning. Jesse...you a staffer or customer ?

Jesse

Staff. Now that I think back I may have been on the phone, but I know I was there!

k-dogg

okay. i know who you are. you've helped me out there a few times before...thanks.
i guess i'll take groans advice and add some MTS as well.