New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Taming the Octopus

Started by vic622, March 25, 2012, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic622

You  may be familiar with the wiring octopus from my 75gal tank build
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=47968.msg297514#msg297514
It made it's ugly appearance after I plumbed the sump two weeks ago ...

I didn't want this to stay behind the tank & risk falling into the sump so I decided to make a power panel on a 16" x x36" board that would hang on the wall.

I attached the bits with zip-ties that had mounting holes.
Here's the GFCI power outlet, powerbars & timers layed out on the panel :

I put two mounting lag screws into the top edge of the board (~2" into the wood) and then ran a double strand of brass wire between them to hook on 60lb picture hanging hooks that I've put into the plaster:

Once I got this onto the wall, I ran all the plugs from the pumps & lights to the panel.
I've attached them with 3/8" nylon wire clamps to prevent them from dropping into the sump when unplugged.
I've also looped excess wiring, zip-tied it and similarly mounted it to the panel.

I'll sleep a a bit better tonight ...  ;)

Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

Hookup

Much better!  A lot of work too

vic622

Thanks!

It actually wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be ... once I got the planning out of the way ;)

The build itself only took about 2-1/2hrs, including hanging & hooking up all the connections.

It would have been a ton easier if the sump was under the tank instead of behind it. Having said that, I've now got a portable power panel I can use on the next build if I want!

Quote from: Hookup on March 25, 2012, 04:56:16 PM
Much better!  A lot of work too
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

vic622

Thanks Phil.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out & I sure am glad I don't need to worry about all that electrical hanging above the sump!

Quote from: NjOyRiD on March 25, 2012, 07:40:20 PM
ouffff nice :)
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

NanoSF

Some swear by duct-tape, I swear by zip-ties!

Nice and tidy. Hope those two little hooks holding the whole board up are strong  :)

vic622

Quote from: NanoSF on March 25, 2012, 10:24:59 PM
Some swear by duct-tape, I swear by zip-ties!

Nice and tidy. Hope those two little hooks holding the whole board up are strong  :)

Couldn't use duck tape on this project, it doesn't stick too well to wood ;)

The hooks are rated for 60lbs/ea. On the package it says to not load at more than 50% of the rating (go figure) so that still gives me a 60lbs total max load and the whole panel weighs no more than 20-30lbs.
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

Greatwhite

Severum

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 26, 2012, 11:37:16 AM
Very cool - but would be cooler with a few of these badboys duct taped on there...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=914023&CatId=1284

I use one of those and absolutely love it!
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Cheebs

Very nice!! I did something similar, but I like the board you hung up to strap everything to. I ended up fixing my powerbars to my actual drywall, so it isn't as mobile if I ever move the tank. Good idea!

This may not be an issue for you, but I was worried about splashes of water from my open topped tank hitting the power bars, so I made rudimentary water shields out of yoghurt containers to go above them on the wall.  It makes everything pretty much water proof :)

vic622

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 26, 2012, 11:37:16 AM
Very cool - but would be cooler with a few of these badboys duct taped on there...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=914023&CatId=1284

Oh! I might have to get a couple & replace the regular pair that I have on there - I like the switches, very nice for controlling single pumps etc.
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

vic622

Quote from: Chubs on March 26, 2012, 02:45:48 PM
Very nice!! I did something similar, but I like the board you hung up to strap everything to. I ended up fixing my powerbars to my actual drywall, so it isn't as mobile if I ever move the tank. Good idea!

This may not be an issue for you, but I was worried about splashes of water from my open topped tank hitting the power bars, so I made rudimentary water shields out of yoghurt containers to go above them on the wall.  It makes everything pretty much water proof :)

The other nice thing is I can take the board down to add something to it or to modify it in any way.

I think if it was my wall (not the landlord's) I might have done the same thing as you - Now having done this, I would do it the same in my own place.

I'd really have to try hard to splash on to the panel. It's the same height as the top of the tank & 12" behind it. I know, don't tempt fate ...

I suppose I could make a splash-guard from acrylic to go over the panel, hinged at the top for access. Hmmm, next week's project ;)
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

Greatwhite

Quote from: vic622 on March 26, 2012, 03:02:26 PM
Oh! I might have to get a couple & replace the regular pair that I have on there - I like the switches, very nice for controlling single pumps etc.

Indeed.  Individual switches are great - when you remember to turn them back on.

vic622

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 26, 2012, 03:57:27 PM
Indeed.  Individual switches are great - when you remember to turn them back on.

ROTFL

The problem of having too many gizmos hooked up to one tank ...
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

bt

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 26, 2012, 03:57:27 PM

On that note... what I want is a countdown timer that is OFF when the timer is running.  I don't know if such a thing exists at the consumer level though.

vic622

Quote from: bt on March 28, 2012, 12:46:25 PM
On that note... what I want is a countdown timer that is OFF when the timer is running.  I don't know if such a thing exists at the consumer level though.
Could be done with a relay, but that means wiring & possibly duck-tape ;)
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

Greatwhite

Quote from: vic622 on March 28, 2012, 03:40:05 PM
Could be done with a relay, but that means wiring & possibly duck-tape ;)

could also be done with a length of string taped to a switch at one end, and my 2 year old on the other. I figure that the time that she'll actually sit still is plenty of time for fish to eat.  When she wanders off, the string would turn the switch on - bingo.  Free auto-back-on-switchification device.

vic622

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 28, 2012, 03:46:48 PM
could also be done with a length of string taped to a switch at one end, and my 2 year old on the other. I figure that the time that she'll actually sit still is plenty of time for fish to eat.  When she wanders off, the string would turn the switch on - bingo.  Free auto-back-on-switchification device.
Complete with audible feedback device ... 'cause I can guarantee she'd squawk when she got to the end of the string ... ;)
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra