New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

White skin on fin?

Started by brotherluv, February 14, 2012, 12:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brotherluv

I've had a yellow tang for approximately 4 weeks. He's eating quite greedily...nori, new life spectrum pellets...etc.  On one of his fins he's got what looks like a hunk of white skin...or a piece of substrate.  No other  signs of anything negative.  The params are the same as usual nothing has changed.  Any ideas?

brotherluv

touchofsky

Sometimes a bit of scarring on a fin can appear white.

Greatwhite

Quote from: touchofsky on February 14, 2012, 12:49:28 PM
Sometimes a bit of scarring on a fin can appear white.

^^ that.  It could also be an infection from a scratch.  My tang had one for a few days, and it went away on its own.  Keep an eye on it.  I seem to remember that you have cleaner shrimp... They may help a bit if it bugs him enough to go for a visit.

Hookup

look closely if you can ... if you see more little dots on his pectoral fin(s) it likely is ich.  that's one of the first places to spot ich.... which is white dots...

brotherluv

Hopefully it falls off...obviously my first thought is ick but the white part seems to be hanging from the tip of his fin.  It doesn't look like its in his fin...I don't even know if that makes sense.  I'll check him as soon as I'm home from work.

Cheebs

It is likely a lymphocyst, which happens fairly often, and I've had a yellow tang that had a couple on his fins. It's basically a growth, which can occur out of nowhere or from scarring as others have stated. As long as the fish remains healthy and stress free it should go away. I'd keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't spread and isn't a fungal infection, but other than that I think he'll be fine.

brotherluv

He seems very happy certainly not stressed!  He and the Picasso have been getting along famously!  It's actually pretty funny watching them swim together!  I'll keep a close eye and have a hospital tank ready assuming its a worst case scenario.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Chubs on February 14, 2012, 03:50:34 PM
It is likely a lymphocyst, which happens fairly often, and I've had a yellow tang that had a couple on his fins. It's basically a growth, which can occur out of nowhere or from scarring as others have stated. As long as the fish remains healthy and stress free it should go away. I'd keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't spread and isn't a fungal infection, but other than that I think he'll be fine.

^^ I was trying to remember the name when I posted...  My tang gets those on occasion.  He's very healthy - and a good eater.  It just falls off on its own.

My Mandarin picks up little pieces of substrate on the tips of his fin sometimes...  Every time it happens, I look twice to make sure it's not something more nefarious.

ray

You can try looking up Microsporiasis,Lymphocystis,Myxospriasis

Good luck

Ray

Severum

Also try looking up necrotizing fasciitis.

Regards,
Steve
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

brotherluv

I don't think its the flesh eating disease as its not spreading very rapidly...Possibly is  lymphocystis...I hope as chubs stated it just falls off. It's been there and not gotten bigger or smaller today being the 6th day.  I was confident it would disappear by now but obviously am getting slightly nervous. 

brotherluv

The white thing fell off... Thanks to all who responded  :P

Hookup

Yeah for you and woot woot for mr yellow tang....   :)