New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

white stuff on driftwood.

Started by blueknight0303, August 08, 2012, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueknight0303

i bought a driftwood on big als and was told that its fine to put it right away on the tank. but when we did, after 3 days white stuff that are like fungus started growing. how should i deal with this? will they go away? or can i get something that can eat or get rid of them like shrimp or medicine? thanks!

driftwood has been in my tank for week and a half and the pictures are just taken from today.
sorry for low quality! i just used my phone for the pictures.

daworldisblack

Its normal bacterial bloom.. My oto cats ate it but it will go away on its own in time.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

blueknight0303

Peekay

Agree with Rah that it's normal, and won't continue forever!  It's also very soft, so in the meantime, easy enough to rub off and vacuum out. 

soleil1980

It happened to me before... It didn t seem to affect anything in the tank but it looks discusting.  If the wood is easy to remove, you can just rub it off in the tub and pur it back in it will stopcoming back on its own
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

robt18

Manzanita wood almost always gets it at first. If you increase the water flow in your tank it'll also help prevent this/make it go away faster.

wrm130

Another thing to watch for: this stuff gummed up my sponge pre-filter and even the coarse sponge inside my aquaclear...to the point where flow would become almost non existent.  The white stuff itself is harmless but can have consequences...