New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

HYDRAS!!!

Started by blueknight0303, September 21, 2012, 12:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueknight0303

i have hydras on my 10 gallon crystal shrimp tank.. help please!  :(

exv152

Try scrubbing them off the class with something. I would avoid any chemicals, and there are several out there that would deal with the problem but they tend to be overkill in my opinion. Some gouramis will eat them,and apparently raising the temp really high like 106ºF will do it, but they will go away in time if you stick to good maintenance and keep the tank clean. If you just set the tank up recently, it can be common to have them at first, and then they tend to go away.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

blueknight0303

i did a big 50% water change then they suddenly appeared.. so far i was just taking them off one by one by a tweezer.. i dont want to do increased water temp coz of the baby shrimps... will ramhorn snails eat them or any snails?

dpatte

they will die off of they have nothing to eat. how big are your baby shrimp?
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

Fishnut

If you scrape them off, they just latch on somewhere else. 

Increasing the temp to ill off hydra will also kill off the shrimp, so I'm glad you didn't do that.

Good clean water without over-feeding will get rid of them.

Since this is a shrimp tank, any hydra killing chemical is also going to have negative effects on your shrimp, so you just might have to wait for them to starve to death.

Shrimp don't need much to eat.  I would cut back significantly on the food.

Jkelley

Hercules killed a Hydra??? Actually I'm pretty sure it was his second labour.

Anyways my lady friend is always going on about these cute looking Hercules fellows she stares at while working out at good life.....maybe you could employ them to do your bidding/   ;) 

blueknight0303

will they prey on adult shrimps? baby shrimps are probably a 2 weeks old... so they are really small..

i normally feed once a week... i guess ill just have to wait and try to pick them out one by one.. :'(

thanks!