New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Evolving Jungle - 157L Planted Tank

Started by pm, December 30, 2011, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pm

Quote from: fischkopp on January 30, 2012, 11:46:37 PM
Very nice! Now lean back, enjoy the tank  and let grow for a while, or at least for a week. :P

I haven't touched the tank since Sunday... This hobby is boring now... that's it, I am selling everything....

April fools (less 61 days)  :P

Peekay

Peter!  I love the changes.  The colours and the layout both feel better balanced.  And downoi is way cooler looking.

nice job.

charlie

Quote from: pm on January 26, 2012, 09:34:16 AM
Yeah, I am on the fence right now with the hairgrass.  I might keep it, or sell it, not sure yet.  

Yes, it is the downoi from a few weeks back, but it wasn't always in this tank since then (I have a 10 gal that I never bothered to get rid of and now I am so thankfull that I kept it.  It is a plant/shrimp holding and grow out tank).  So as of now the downoi isn't doing much, one completely melted in just a few days, not sure why, but the others are hanging in there.  Hopefully it is just acclimating itself to the setup.  
Hey Peter have a gander at this thread
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=30074.0
BTW it is still grown in my tank @ PH 5.7 now & dosing as per EI.
Errol

bettabreeder

Quote from: pm on January 30, 2012, 09:47:42 PM
Here ya go... sorry about the window reflection, but this is the best shot I have.

Cheers!

Whoa. Nuff said.

pm

Quote from: charlie on January 31, 2012, 01:34:42 PM
Hey Peter have a gander at this thread
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=30074.0
BTW it is still grown in my tank @ PH 5.7 now & dosing as per EI.
Errol

Thanks Errol, yeah it is a strange plant.  Some appear to be doing fine (or at least nothing seems wrong), and a couple have holes in their leaves, or have melted (only 1 has melted, and 2 have holes in their leaves out of 10+, so a few losses is not an issue).

pm

Quote from: Peekay on January 31, 2012, 09:36:31 AM
Peter!  I love the changes.  The colours and the layout both feel better balanced.  And downoi is way cooler looking.

nice job.

Thanks, I think so as well, just hope there are no issues growing it.

pm

In honor of the upcoming plantoholics anonymous meeting, I figured it was time for an update. 
For the most part I have tried not to re-scape too much.
-   Took off the black background just to see how it looked now with no background... jury is still out on this one.
-   Had to remove most to the java moss from the wood as it wasn't letting enough light through to the other plants
-   The long crypts in the back will need to be pulled soon for exactly the same reason as the java moss
-   Snagged some plants from the auction that will fill in the vacated spaces nicely*

* I learned a lesson recently about quarantining plants.  So that is what I am doing now.  Good thing to, as I used a few cherry shrimp as canaries to test if the imported plants that were for sale at the auction were shrimp safe, i.e. no or washed away pesticides.  Well the shrimp did not make it... better a few now than a colony later.

Peekay

WOW!   :)  This is beautiful... I can only imagine how good it looks in real life.

Those bronze crypts are amazing. 

Sorry about the dearly departed shrimp... glad you tested.  What's your quarantine process going to be?  I remember some of the pesticides deteriorate very quickly if you raise the ph, others it was just time.. unfortunately it's unlikely you'd know what was used on them. 

touchofsky

Gorgeous, it is really coming along  :)

bettabreeder

Whoa!!! :O :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizfromqc

Sweet looking tank Peter, should have entered the POTM contest, you would have gotten my vote  ;)

Do you keep both Neon and Cardinal Tetras or is it just a camera trick? LOL I can see some smaller/bigger ones and some with the full red belly and other partial red. Can both species have those fluctuations in red markings?

charlie

Amazing Peter, very well done, the downoi took off & is healthy, the upcoming plantoholics anonymous meeting received a great honor  ;).
Errol

daworldisblack

Wow very nicely done Peter! Looks very sweet! Very nicely composed! So you needle-leaf javafern is struggling too eh? Seems like the least prolific. Same thing in mine! I hope its only a matter of time! What are your new additions?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Cheebs

Very, very nice tank!! You've done an amazing job, I love it.

pm

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone  ;D

Quote from: Peekay on March 08, 2012, 11:19:35 PM

What's your quarantine process going to be?

I have them in a rubbermaid container, and am running a filter with carbon and doing water changes... Hope this works.

Quote from: bizfromqc on March 09, 2012, 08:45:04 AM

Do you keep both Neon and Cardinal Tetras or is it just a camera trick?

I have both.  The neons are older (and fatter)

pm

Time for an update. 

It is definitely a jungle now, but I think the days of a few plant species are numbered.  Kinda regret getting rid of the long crypts, but c'est-la-vie.  Removing them, however, caused an explosion of growth.  The red ludwigia (behind the wood) doubled in size in the past 20 days and turned a bright red.

Re-attached the background (just with tape), and still not sure which I prefer (background or no). 

Comments?

exv152

Nice job, the tank looks amazing. Keep the udpates coming with some close ups too.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Wow looks great! Red ludwiga really is making its presence known! I really like the overall composition too. As for the background, its a yeah for me (as opposed to a nay).
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sas

Looking great, wonderful growth.
I'm for the black background as well :).

Peekay

I love love this tank.  Abundant, but tidy.  Great use of textures/colours.

Background, yes.