New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Santa tank - 59G -

Started by Peekay, January 03, 2012, 09:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

Hello OVAS!  

My son discovered my old aquarium reference books a few months ago, and after some shrewd budgeting (allowance x weeks it will take to save up) decided to ask Santa for an aquarium.   'Cause then it's free you know.  

I purchased a 'table' from an OVAS member that we brought into the house before Christmas for 'putting stuff on'.  It was a birch veneer Hagen stand, but I pulled a Debbie Travis, painted it and added crystal knobs.  

IMG_3861 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Then, on Christmas morning, what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a 59G rimless oh so beautiful glass box, already loaded with Eco Complete, a AC 50 (I have another AC30 to add later should it be necessary), a Fluval heaterstat, and an Aquatic Life T5HO dual fixture!  Wow!  Santa knows his stuff!  We are bad parents and our camera usually is battery-less, and so no pictures of the happy dance done by the 7 year old (or 33 year old) that morning!

A few days ago we filled, to check leaks and level, and that all the gear was working as expected.  Santa respects the environment, and his budget, and so all gear shows signs of being pre-loved.  It was all fine, with the exception of the not Python branded python filler.  The fittings are not very good (who makes such soft threaded plastic pieces!!?), so a trip to Home Depot for some metal connectors was made.  

IMG_3878 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Peekay

The boy also received some very oddly shaped packages that ended up being wood.  Yes, I wrapped each piece and it was hilarious when he saw them!   :)  Those pieces soaked in a Rubbermaid for some time, and we'd pull them out once in awhile to try different arrangements.

IMG_3882 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Yesterday, I attached a small lexan sheet to the bottom of each piece, and we anchored them into the tank.  Also added the black background sheet.  So much better.  There is also now activated charcoal in the filter because that wood will continue to leech for a few weeks.  The arrangement may not be final, but it's where we're starting!  I already catch the boy sitting and gazing into the tank.. no plants, no fish, already captivating.  ;)

Had to shim the HOB filter, due to the very narrow edge of the rimless tank.

IMG_3890 by Peeka2, on Flickr

daworldisblack

Nice job with the stand Brenda! Looking forward to more pictures! What are you planning on getting for livestock? Has he decided yet? :p Exciting!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

brotherluv

Lucky boy!  He'll love watching it come alive!

pm

Nice work on the stand, it looks great in the pic.  Did you need a special paint?  I can't stand the fake wood ikea like look of mine and would like to paint it soon.

Peekay

We've started testing the water.  The substrate that Santa used shows signs of having been pre-loved... it has a good amount of organics in it.. roots, tiny bits of moss.. so the ammonia readings are about 0.50ppm.  Cool that our cycle will start without adding/feeding.   

IMG_3883 by Peeka2, on Flickr

The substrate has yielded other surprises:  despite having been frozen (it was a BLOCK!), then kept in a rubbermaid for a few weeks, there is life.  Errol has advised squishing these before they become a nuisance, but my son and I agree to wait and see.  He was so excited that Santa even put something ALIVE in the tank, that I can't kill them.  ;)   A predator fish may be introduced later.

IMG_3891 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Peekay

Rah, thanks!  We went and made a wish list at Al's yesterday.  Looks like:  neon/cardinal tetras, glass catfish, an interesting pleco, angels.  I will insist on a shrimp, oto cleaning crew.

The paint I used was CIL trim paint.  I definitely sanded/primed, or there is no way it would stick to the veneer otherwise.  I chose trim paint because its supposed to be more durable to scuffs, and easier to clean.  I'll let you know how it holds up to drips and other aquarium issues.  It was a one day project, when allowing a few hours between coats.  I used a foam roller for smoooooothness.  

jshchrtn

Great build thread, awesome you got your son involved with everything! Make sure to keep it updated with additions!

sas

Awesome!
Love it when we can get our kids involved in our hobbies. It's something that
they will carry on into adulthood.
We basically did the same as what you have done a few years back(our children
are pretty much out on their own now) but for livestock we started with
swordtails and the kids had great fun trying to find and count fry whenever
there was a new batch.

I've also just this fall started our 2 year old grandchild off with a cheap wally mart
tank(plastic 1.5g Tetra tank), supplied all the gravel and plants and she has
a betta housed in it.

Back to the thread, it is amazing what stays alive in our tanks even through neglect.

Peekay

sas, I completely agree.  My own interest came from a guppy tank my dad set up with me when I was my son's age.   :-*

I am surprised my son isn't as interested in livebearers, because they're so colorful and the whole fry thing is so interesting.  That's kids for you, unpredictable!

charlie

Great job Brenda, will be following this build, so far it shows the dedication & planning of the build, Kudos for encouraging your son`s interest.
Errol

charlie

BTW i would suggest you add some pine moulding from homedepot around the stand top & Styrofoam & then paint it the same colour of the stand, it will hide the pink & give it the Amano look  ;)
Errol

Peekay

Quote from: charlie on January 03, 2012, 11:48:22 AM
BTW i would suggest you add some pine moulding from homedepot around the stand top & Styrofoam & then paint it the same colour of the stand, it will hide the pink & give it the Amano look  ;)
Errol

I'm right there with you... the trim is already in the house!  Just got to haul out the tools and paint. 

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 03, 2012, 01:26:17 PM
I'm right there with you... the trim is already in the house!  Just got to haul out the tools and paint. 
Ah Ha, you are on the ball  :)

Peekay

Jan 10
After several scouting missions to various fish stores, here's my son's stock list: 

jan08/12 by Peeka2, on Flickr

In the last week, we have finished trimming around the bottom of the tank, so it's purdy.
We picked up a few bunches of plants to start greening the tank... some crypts, some swords, and something that I don't know, but for some reason bought anyway.  I'm sometimes impulsive.  Ask Errol.  ;)   I'm hoping to get some stem plants to add at the gtg this weekend.

We researched the fish on my son's list, and found that the 'bludfind tetra' was the most hardy fish on it.  So, the first swimming inhabitants, a shoal of 8 bloodfins, have been moved in.  We picked up a grungy filter pad from a friend, so I hope their first weeks in our tank will be fairly comfortable.  Excuse the low water line, I had my arm in there this weekend, and tried to keep my armpit dry.

I have to set my photoperiod.. should I start around 8 hrs?

jan10/12 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Now that there is action in there, the boys drag our couch to sit right in front of the tank to eat their breakfast!

pm

Wow, the setup looks great!  Now if I can only figure out how to copy it...  :D

rgauvin

your son has a nicer startup aquarium then I do lol

touchofsky

That is so nice to hear of your kids sitting in front of the tank.  I love it!

Bloodfins were a good choice to start with since they are tough and really nice fish.  They colour up well and look great with the bright red fins.  Did you get glass bloodfins or regular bloodfins?

Your tank looks great.  I would start with a fairly short lighting period, such as 8 hours and since you have fairly high lighting, I would add more fast growing plants. 

fischkopp

Nice setup to start with! Love your son's w(f)ishlist!

As for the plecos on his list, I would recommend to stick to bushnose/bristelnose plecos. They won't become tank busters. And if you get a pair of them they will likely produce a lot of baby plecos. Now that will be real fun for your son! ;)

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Peekay

Thanks for the comments and tips!

rgauvin, it is a bit nuts for a kid, right?  It had his name on it, but it was definitely as much for me as him.. i've been waiting for years for the right excuse to start back into the hobby!

pm, this is a 'copy' of a thousand tanks I've read through journals of!  I love the journals on planted tank.net because they show tanks at this stage.. with 8 little plants, and then 8 months later... wow! 

touchofsky, they're the argentine bloodfins.  They had the glass ones too, but I had not specifically read about their hardiness and wanted to avoid fatality.  I've had bloodfins before and really enjoyed them. 

fischkopp, thanks for the tip!  Baby plecos!  How cool would that be.