New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Santa tank - 59G -

Started by Peekay, January 03, 2012, 09:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

Hello OVAS!  

My son discovered my old aquarium reference books a few months ago, and after some shrewd budgeting (allowance x weeks it will take to save up) decided to ask Santa for an aquarium.   'Cause then it's free you know.  

I purchased a 'table' from an OVAS member that we brought into the house before Christmas for 'putting stuff on'.  It was a birch veneer Hagen stand, but I pulled a Debbie Travis, painted it and added crystal knobs.  

IMG_3861 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Then, on Christmas morning, what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a 59G rimless oh so beautiful glass box, already loaded with Eco Complete, a AC 50 (I have another AC30 to add later should it be necessary), a Fluval heaterstat, and an Aquatic Life T5HO dual fixture!  Wow!  Santa knows his stuff!  We are bad parents and our camera usually is battery-less, and so no pictures of the happy dance done by the 7 year old (or 33 year old) that morning!

A few days ago we filled, to check leaks and level, and that all the gear was working as expected.  Santa respects the environment, and his budget, and so all gear shows signs of being pre-loved.  It was all fine, with the exception of the not Python branded python filler.  The fittings are not very good (who makes such soft threaded plastic pieces!!?), so a trip to Home Depot for some metal connectors was made.  

IMG_3878 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Peekay

The boy also received some very oddly shaped packages that ended up being wood.  Yes, I wrapped each piece and it was hilarious when he saw them!   :)  Those pieces soaked in a Rubbermaid for some time, and we'd pull them out once in awhile to try different arrangements.

IMG_3882 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Yesterday, I attached a small lexan sheet to the bottom of each piece, and we anchored them into the tank.  Also added the black background sheet.  So much better.  There is also now activated charcoal in the filter because that wood will continue to leech for a few weeks.  The arrangement may not be final, but it's where we're starting!  I already catch the boy sitting and gazing into the tank.. no plants, no fish, already captivating.  ;)

Had to shim the HOB filter, due to the very narrow edge of the rimless tank.

IMG_3890 by Peeka2, on Flickr

daworldisblack

Nice job with the stand Brenda! Looking forward to more pictures! What are you planning on getting for livestock? Has he decided yet? :p Exciting!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

brotherluv

Lucky boy!  He'll love watching it come alive!

pm

Nice work on the stand, it looks great in the pic.  Did you need a special paint?  I can't stand the fake wood ikea like look of mine and would like to paint it soon.

Peekay

We've started testing the water.  The substrate that Santa used shows signs of having been pre-loved... it has a good amount of organics in it.. roots, tiny bits of moss.. so the ammonia readings are about 0.50ppm.  Cool that our cycle will start without adding/feeding.   

IMG_3883 by Peeka2, on Flickr

The substrate has yielded other surprises:  despite having been frozen (it was a BLOCK!), then kept in a rubbermaid for a few weeks, there is life.  Errol has advised squishing these before they become a nuisance, but my son and I agree to wait and see.  He was so excited that Santa even put something ALIVE in the tank, that I can't kill them.  ;)   A predator fish may be introduced later.

IMG_3891 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Peekay

Rah, thanks!  We went and made a wish list at Al's yesterday.  Looks like:  neon/cardinal tetras, glass catfish, an interesting pleco, angels.  I will insist on a shrimp, oto cleaning crew.

The paint I used was CIL trim paint.  I definitely sanded/primed, or there is no way it would stick to the veneer otherwise.  I chose trim paint because its supposed to be more durable to scuffs, and easier to clean.  I'll let you know how it holds up to drips and other aquarium issues.  It was a one day project, when allowing a few hours between coats.  I used a foam roller for smoooooothness.  

jshchrtn

Great build thread, awesome you got your son involved with everything! Make sure to keep it updated with additions!

sas

Awesome!
Love it when we can get our kids involved in our hobbies. It's something that
they will carry on into adulthood.
We basically did the same as what you have done a few years back(our children
are pretty much out on their own now) but for livestock we started with
swordtails and the kids had great fun trying to find and count fry whenever
there was a new batch.

I've also just this fall started our 2 year old grandchild off with a cheap wally mart
tank(plastic 1.5g Tetra tank), supplied all the gravel and plants and she has
a betta housed in it.

Back to the thread, it is amazing what stays alive in our tanks even through neglect.

Peekay

sas, I completely agree.  My own interest came from a guppy tank my dad set up with me when I was my son's age.   :-*

I am surprised my son isn't as interested in livebearers, because they're so colorful and the whole fry thing is so interesting.  That's kids for you, unpredictable!

charlie

Great job Brenda, will be following this build, so far it shows the dedication & planning of the build, Kudos for encouraging your son`s interest.
Errol

charlie

BTW i would suggest you add some pine moulding from homedepot around the stand top & Styrofoam & then paint it the same colour of the stand, it will hide the pink & give it the Amano look  ;)
Errol

Peekay

Quote from: charlie on January 03, 2012, 11:48:22 AM
BTW i would suggest you add some pine moulding from homedepot around the stand top & Styrofoam & then paint it the same colour of the stand, it will hide the pink & give it the Amano look  ;)
Errol

I'm right there with you... the trim is already in the house!  Just got to haul out the tools and paint. 

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 03, 2012, 01:26:17 PM
I'm right there with you... the trim is already in the house!  Just got to haul out the tools and paint. 
Ah Ha, you are on the ball  :)

Peekay

Jan 10
After several scouting missions to various fish stores, here's my son's stock list: 

jan08/12 by Peeka2, on Flickr

In the last week, we have finished trimming around the bottom of the tank, so it's purdy.
We picked up a few bunches of plants to start greening the tank... some crypts, some swords, and something that I don't know, but for some reason bought anyway.  I'm sometimes impulsive.  Ask Errol.  ;)   I'm hoping to get some stem plants to add at the gtg this weekend.

We researched the fish on my son's list, and found that the 'bludfind tetra' was the most hardy fish on it.  So, the first swimming inhabitants, a shoal of 8 bloodfins, have been moved in.  We picked up a grungy filter pad from a friend, so I hope their first weeks in our tank will be fairly comfortable.  Excuse the low water line, I had my arm in there this weekend, and tried to keep my armpit dry.

I have to set my photoperiod.. should I start around 8 hrs?

jan10/12 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Now that there is action in there, the boys drag our couch to sit right in front of the tank to eat their breakfast!

pm

Wow, the setup looks great!  Now if I can only figure out how to copy it...  :D

rgauvin

your son has a nicer startup aquarium then I do lol

touchofsky

That is so nice to hear of your kids sitting in front of the tank.  I love it!

Bloodfins were a good choice to start with since they are tough and really nice fish.  They colour up well and look great with the bright red fins.  Did you get glass bloodfins or regular bloodfins?

Your tank looks great.  I would start with a fairly short lighting period, such as 8 hours and since you have fairly high lighting, I would add more fast growing plants. 

fischkopp

Nice setup to start with! Love your son's w(f)ishlist!

As for the plecos on his list, I would recommend to stick to bushnose/bristelnose plecos. They won't become tank busters. And if you get a pair of them they will likely produce a lot of baby plecos. Now that will be real fun for your son! ;)

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Peekay

Thanks for the comments and tips!

rgauvin, it is a bit nuts for a kid, right?  It had his name on it, but it was definitely as much for me as him.. i've been waiting for years for the right excuse to start back into the hobby!

pm, this is a 'copy' of a thousand tanks I've read through journals of!  I love the journals on planted tank.net because they show tanks at this stage.. with 8 little plants, and then 8 months later... wow! 

touchofsky, they're the argentine bloodfins.  They had the glass ones too, but I had not specifically read about their hardiness and wanted to avoid fatality.  I've had bloodfins before and really enjoyed them. 

fischkopp, thanks for the tip!  Baby plecos!  How cool would that be.

cdylnicki

I love that you involved your son in the entire process! 

He must have been a wonderful boy for santa to deliver such a gift!

I agree with fischopp; I would skip the pleco - or at least the common pleco.  Maybe a clown pleco or a bushy nose. 

Has your son considered khuli loaches or a small school of cory cats as bottom feeders?  The ghost shrimps will be hard to see against the white sand.  He might also enjoy rock shrimp or african dwarf frogs!

Consigliere

Cool looking build.  Off to a great start.  Glad to hear your kids are enjoying it as much, or more, than you!

For plecos, great recommendation to avoid common plecos.  They will get too big and destroy your plants and generally just create more waste than they are worth. 

As mentioned, bushynose, bristlenose, clown are great options that are fairly easy to find.  Another one not mentioned is the rubbernose or bulldog pleco.  It's usually stocked in most stores and stays small.  Great algae eater.  Tom Barr once mentioned he uses bulldogs instead of otos.

Peekay

I really love cory cats, but the appeal of the pleco is that mouth on the glass!  Definitely will research varieties.

What I learned today:  Your dog WILL eat the fish food if your kid leaves it on the coffee table.   :-[

delslo

Quote from: Peekay on January 11, 2012, 03:24:53 PM
I really love cory cats, but the appeal of the pleco is that mouth on the glass!  Definitely will research varieties.

What I learned today:  Your dog WILL eat the fish food if your kid leaves it on the coffee table.   :-[

cats will too

touchofsky

I would get a bristlenose pleco (ancistrus).  They stay small (under 5") and look much like regular plecos.  There are some very nice albino ones with long fins, and some pretty spotted ones.  You will get the mouth stuck on the glass effect  ;D

Peekay

Jan 12
Recording here for my own future reference that I took one bulb out of the fixture, now running a single 54W T5HO 6400K bulb.

We almost lost a fish today to the filter intake.  Pulled the plug and he was able to unwrap himself from the tube.  Added a prefilter sponge and have our fingers crossed that he's going to make it.  He's limping.   :(

Peekay

Jan 15 - First PA meeting.  Came home with a wonderful 'booster pack' of plants for my tank.  Thank you to all who shared!   :-*

IMG_3931 by Peeka2, on Flickr

I planted them, and here it is this morning.  So excited.  
But.. erm... I don't remember what most are.  Can you remind me of the names if you know them?  

numbered by Peeka2, on Flickr

I think:  (updated with IDs!)
1.  Rotala rotundifolia
2.  Blyxa japonica
3.  Echinodorus (purchased at BAl's)
4.  Ludwigia repens 'rubin'
5.  Assorted ;) Cryptocoryne (purchased at BAl's)
6.  Staurogyne stalks
7.  Ludwigia repens
8.  Vals

Thank you!

daworldisblack

Looks good!! 1) is Rotala Rotundifolia and 7) is Ludwiga Repens as well :)

pm

Okay

2. is Blyxa japonica
4. is Ludwigia repens 'rubin'

Can't id the others

Peekay

Thanks guys!  Fixed my list. 
:)

I've done some reading about better pictures, and I'm going to bust out the tripod and see if I can get some better photos tonight. 

charlie

Looking great Brenda, now i still get to enjoy that tank  :)
Sylvia ( Fishnut) has a meeting planned to help us all with getting those pics of our tanks,keep an eye out for the posting.
Maybe next PA meeting Fischkop can also give us some finer points too? :D

Peekay

Jan 17 -
New fish!  We added four otocinclus.  Two made themselves comfortable and are happily munching away, one is on the glass but not as active, and one is sluggish and resting on the bottom.

Happy fish:

IMG_3955 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Stressed out fish:

IMG_3957 by Peeka2, on Flickr

charlie

Brenda since this is Santa`s tank, i have some of this plant but i`m not sure which specie
any way either one should do well enough,LMK if you waht to try it
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plantpedia/full_view_plant.php?item_id=122
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=125
Errol

Peekay

YES!  Thanks Errol, that's a plant I've seen used with great success in tanks like mine.  PM on the way!

I need to take some new pictures.. looking at the old ones, I'm amazed how much bigger some of these plants are! 

touchofsky

Looking forward to new pictures. :)

Peekay

February 4

Took a few pictures, but seriously need a photo tutorial... looking forward to that meeting!  ;)

Recently topped and chopped most of the stem plants to get rid of sad looking lower parts.  Could be nutrition, could be how I handled them while planting originally, could be adaptive shock.  I guess how the next bits grow will help me know.

Comparing the older photos, I can see where some holes have been created by losing some blyxa.  Think I'm going to eventually get rid of the rotunda, it's too spindly for my tastes.   

Plans going forward:  Ferts:  root tabs,   Livestock:  add!  Keith has his eyes on his flock of neons this week.  Esthetic:  That sponge on the intake.. prettier version!

Feb 4 by Peeka2, on Flickr

I love how Peter's ludwigia is looking these days... he gave it to me red, but in my situation it's growing green... so it's this amazing luminous red bottom with glowing lime tops.  LOVE it.
Crypts only lost one or two leaves in the move to my tank, new leaves are growing in brown-er.

Feb 4 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, feedback always appreciated and welcomed... you may see something I don't!

charlie

Looking good Brenda, ever given any thought of adding Java fern, Anubias @ the base or moss to the wood.
There are some good plants in the classifieds that would do well  i the tank , have a peek & look up theirrequirementt.
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=1330
Is it possible to move the Aqua Clear to the extreme left of the tank & possibly extend the pick up tube.
Errol

jetstream

Reasons that the new growth is more green in color are, either your light intensity is lower or your tank's  N value is higher than it was in the original tank that you got the plant from. There are other possible factors too. Nice looking tank and plant!  ;)

Cheers,

touchofsky

Looks good  :)  I read through your thread, and it is funny to read that your interest in the hobby was started with some guppies.  Mine was started when I, at the end of the school year, "won" the guppies that were kept in my Grade 5 classroom.  It is shocking to admit that was almost 50 years ago, and I have been lugging aquariums around with me ever since.  I have moved a lot of water over the last 50 years  ;D

As for the lower parts of your plants, I find that most plants seem to go into a bit of shock when moved to a new environment, and the lower leaves will often show that.  Also, as you mentioned, just the act of moving them causes damage to the fragile leaves.

Are you still running one tube in your fixture?  If so, your tank is fairly low light (as Jetstream mentioned that will cause the green colour in the new growth), and Errol's suggestions of Java ferns, Anubias and moss is a good one.  I also have had good luck with Hygrophila polysperma as a stem plant.  It grows like crazy in my little LED tank, which is low light.  Another you might have good luck with is Bacopa caroliniana.  Another plant you might consider is Cryptocorne crispatula 'Balansae'.  It is a tall Crypt and a good background plant.  It is great for hiding things such as intake tubes.

bizfromqc

Great looking setup, I really like the overall look of the tank!

That Red Ludwiga is looking pretty sweet, I love the green/red combo, now I want some, thanks  :P

I'm going to suggest the same that was suggested to me some time ago about the intake tube. Get the Fluval Edge pre-filter, it's black, rounded and blends in nicely with the background. My otos love hanging out on it or around it from time to time. I bought two, one for each of my current tanks.

Great work, keep it up and pictures are always good
(but not in your forum signature though, I got busted by the OVAS police for that one...)

Peekay

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 04, 2012, 01:37:33 PM
That Red Ludwiga is looking pretty sweet, I love the green/red combo, now I want some, thanks  :P

:P I know, right?  It was from Peter, maybe if you're lucky he'll have some more in March!  This plant was in truly beautiful condition.  He's got something good going on in his tank!

Thanks for all the tips about our gorgeous filter situation.  It's under renovation immediately.  ;)

Thanks also for all the plants to look up.  Anubias have always been on my list for the base of the driftwood area.  Just have yet to come across any in this part of town... I should make the trip to LaNiche. 

pm

Quote from: jetstream on February 04, 2012, 10:13:43 AM
Reasons that the new growth is more green in color are, either your light intensity is lower or your tank's  N value is higher than it was in the original tank that you got the plant from. There are other possible factors too. Nice looking tank and plant!  ;)

I doubt you have a higher nitrate level than I do in your tank (I am EI dosing), so it is most definitely light level.  The cuttings you got from me were all tops (i.e. closest to the lights), and if I remember correctly, they were almost growing out of the water when I cut them, so light on them was very intense, hence the dark red.

pm

Quote from: Peekay on February 04, 2012, 04:03:53 PM
:P I know, right?  It was from Peter, maybe if you're lucky he'll have some more in March!  This plant was in truly beautiful condition.  He's got something good going on in his tank!

Wow, thanks for the complement   8)

Peekay

I picked up some Lilaeopsis mauritiana from Errol yesterday, and was completely unprepared for what a pain it was going to be to plant.   Oh well, an hour with tweezers is a pretty Zen way to spend a Sunday.  Looking forward to seeing how this grows!

IMG_4036 by Peeka2, on Flickr

This is one of my favourite things about plants (aquatic or otherwise).. underdogs!  I'm rooting so hard for these teeny little fighters, that were bare stalks.  Look!  New leaves!

IMG_4030 by Peeka2, on Flickr

DaWolfe

Worth the work ... and this is why we like planted tanks.  Hopefully you will not wake up tomorrow morning and find them all floating.  ::)

Good JoB!

Peekay

Quote from: DaWolfe on February 05, 2012, 02:30:04 PM
Worth the work ... and this is why we like planted tanks.  Hopefully you will not wake up tomorrow morning and find them all floating.  ::)

Good JoB!

I hadn't even thought about that possibility!   ???  Nooooo! 

We hit Al's this afternoon for the neon tetras that were next on Keith's stocklist.  They're sitting in the tank right now, acclimating.

We found a DIY drip acclimatization idea, and we're trying it out!  Airline tubing with a tight knot that reduces flow to dripping, tank water in a jug up high, start the siphon.  Easy and so effective.

IMG_4037 by Peeka2, on Flickr

IMG_4038 by Peeka2, on Flickr

charlie

Keith must be very happy, he really did make an impression on his visit, quite the young hobbyist, pat your self on the back Brenda.
Errol

Peekay

Quote from: charlie on February 05, 2012, 05:35:01 PM
Keith must be very happy, he really did make an impression on his visit, quite the young hobbyist, pat your self on the back Brenda.
Errol

Thank you Errol. 

He loves the neons.  And was quite excited to discover 2 more than he'd asked for when we counted them in the tank!

Peekay

Having doubled the number of fish, we're living through an ammonia spike right now.  Tested last night at 0.5, so we did a water change. 

I am pretty sure we'll be dealing with this all week, while the biofilter catches up.  The neons are showing distress on their fins due to those levels.  :( 

bizfromqc

How are your otos fairing? We're they the only fish in the tank before you added the Neons? Maybe there was never enough bioload initially to get the cycle going?

charlie

Not sure what water treatment you are using , but some Prime or chloram X will help detoxify the ammonia, better still some good grungy media & viola, sure the good folks in the haven can help out if not i can pull some from one of my cannisters.
Errol

fischkopp

If in doubt or the fish looks unhappy, make a water change.
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Peekay

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 08, 2012, 11:17:58 AM
How are your otos fairing? We're they the only fish in the tank before you added the Neons? Maybe there was never enough bioload initially to get the cycle going?

The otos are fine.  I have never found them as sensitive as the www makes them sound.   :D  We also had 7 bloodfin tetras in the tank before the neons; they are roughly double the size of a neon. 

We did definitely start with a cycle, ammonia went to zero after adding used filter media from a friend.  But doubling waste production overnight is absolutely going to start another cycle where bacterial colonies have to catch up...  you can get the same effect by accidentally killing/removing half your biofiltration!   I expected it, yet still a pain, and sorry for our fishies to have to live through it! 

Testing at .25 this morning.  Still not ideal, but not so dangerous.  phewf. 

Charlie, thanks for the offer!  I think I can keep this in check with testing and water changes, and ride it out.  I'll let you know if it becomes desperate!

Picture:  the best I could do at freezing the action..  ;)

IMG_4043 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Peekay

The Santa tank chugs along...

Added:
1.  Marsilea quadrifolia and staurogyne repens.  Thanks Fishkopff, and thanks for the tour.  So cool.
2.  Found the fluval prefilter foam everyone uses, put it on.  Thinking of picking up a few more, slicing them up the back and covering the whole tube. 
3.  Changed to Prime water conditioner
4.  Trying out the Seachem Ammonia Alert tester thing, after a small ammonia panic due to tests showing more ammonia AFTER changing water.
5.  Tied moss to some of the wood. 

Learned some things about Neon Tetras that I didn't know:
1.  They swim funny all day if you feed on the surface and they gulp air. 
2.  They are susceptible to the mysterious and deadly neon tetra disease.  Had to cull one that was showing early signs.  Fingers crossed for the rest to stay healthy.

Project list:
Tank cover.  We've lost some jumpers, and I'm not ok with that!  Looking for a slick way to do it, to preserve the rimless look..  or alternatively, may build a full canopy, because it's nicer to look at the tank from sitting level when the light isn't blasting you in the eyeballs.   ;) 

touchofsky

I am glad things are progressing.  Keep in mind that Prime shows false ammonia levels with regular test kits.  You probably know this since you mentioned changing to Ammonia Alert.

charlie

Nice choice of plants.
Sorry to hear of the jumpers , it`s one of the cons of open top, you can consider  a glass top to keep the clean look with some clips from Aquainspiration, bets to have 2 sets & use 2 panels
The con is, the glass would need cleaning & cost, Don`t consider Plexi , it will sag
http://www.aquainspiration.com/productdetail.asp?PIN=OS&PNAME=AI&PSIZE=lidh

The other is the DIY mesh screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CzorCknWQ
Errol

touchofsky

Those clips are neat, Errol.  I hadn't seen those before.  I don't have any rimless tanks, but it is nice to know that if I do in the future, I could use a glass top, since I am concerned about humidity.

daworldisblack

Quote from: Peekay on February 13, 2012, 08:08:12 AM
The Santa tank chugs along...

Added:
1.  Marsilea quadrifolia and staurogyne repens.  Thanks Fishkopff, and thanks for the tour.  So cool.
2.  Found the fluval prefilter foam everyone uses, put it on.  Thinking of picking up a few more, slicing them up the back and covering the whole tube. 
3.  Changed to Prime water conditioner
4.  Trying out the Seachem Ammonia Alert tester thing, after a small ammonia panic due to tests showing more ammonia AFTER changing water.
5.  Tied moss to some of the wood. 

Learned some things about Neon Tetras that I didn't know:
1.  They swim funny all day if you feed on the surface and they gulp air. 
2.  They are susceptible to the mysterious and deadly neon tetra disease.  Had to cull one that was showing early signs.  Fingers crossed for the rest to stay healthy.

Project list:
Tank cover.  We've lost some jumpers, and I'm not ok with that!  Looking for a slick way to do it, to preserve the rimless look..  or alternatively, may build a full canopy, because it's nicer to look at the tank from sitting level when the light isn't blasting you in the eyeballs.   ;) 

I got the tour too not too long ago! Pretty crazy in there :) Good plant choices! Should be awesome once its all established! I think its time for a FTS no? ;)

bizfromqc

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 13, 2012, 12:36:23 PM
I got the tour too not too long ago! Pretty crazy in there :) Good plant choices! Should be awesome once its all established! I think its time for a FTS no? ;)

It's always time for an FTS  ;)

Peekay

The photography meeting cannot come soon enough.  I stink at this picture thing! :-\

February Full Frontal! 

Feb 14 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Feb 14 by Peeka2, on Flickr

Cheebs

Woah, I haven't checked this thread since you started the tank up. I must say I'm pretty blown away! I love it :)

Peekay

Quote from: Chubs on February 17, 2012, 12:16:40 PM
Woah, I haven't checked this thread since you started the tank up. I must say I'm pretty blown away! I love it :)

Thank you for such kind words!  Now check back more often, ya hear?   ;)

daworldisblack

touchofsky

bizfromqc

Very nice looking tank, good job  :)

DaWolfe

Peekay

charlie

i`m enjoying watching this tank come together, good job.
Errol

bettabreeder

Awesome looking tank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peekay

Well, we have hit a small snag in this tank.

When I picked up the neons, they were not in stunning physical condition.  There were many with very mild fin damage.  I figured that it was fish store overcrowding/not ideal water, nothing that being in our tank couldn't fix. 

Over the weeks, one was culled because he was very clearly sick, and I wasn't going to medicate 60G for one.  None of them got much worse, but none were getting better either.  This week, I noticed a definite increase in fin damage.  Sooooo....

Today I moved all of the neons to a 10G hospital tank, and started Maracyn treatment... not exactly living the MTS dream over here. 
  :(

Monte

Sorry to hear about your Neons but your tank looks great.
40 Gallon Breeder

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on March 07, 2012, 05:22:41 PM
Well, we have hit a small snag in this tank.

When I picked up the neons, they were not in stunning physical condition.  There were many with very mild fin damage.  I figured that it was fish store overcrowding/not ideal water, nothing that being in our tank couldn't fix.  

Over the weeks, one was culled because he was very clearly sick, and I wasn't going to medicate 60G for one.  None of them got much worse, but none were getting better either.  This week, I noticed a definite increase in fin damage.  Sooooo....

Today I moved all of the neons to a 10G hospital tank, and started Maracyn treatment... not exactly living the MTS dream over here.    :(

If you've identified the ailment as being finrot then you'll have to treat the bacterial infection with aquarium salt and preferrably antibiotics. Nice tank by the way.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

I sure hope they get better soon! I'd miss them form my tank if they got sick. They are awesome! I guess they're going to get hotel treatment at the hospital.. ample feeding :) I sure hope they get better!

Peekay

Eric, (exv152!) I was going to look into the salts.. need to look up dosing.  And it's ok to use with Maracyn?

QuoteI sure hope they get better soon! I'd miss them form my tank if they got sick.

I do miss them Rah!  My huge tank is empty!  A few otos and a couple bloodfins kicking around.  I've been waiting to add stock until the neons were in perfect shape, so it's a ghost town in there.

In happier news, I will be getting some plants tomorrow that have been on my list forever!  Yay!  Some anubias nana petite, that will go in front of the driftwood.  I've been saving that spot for them.  ;)

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on March 07, 2012, 08:30:46 PM
Eric, (exv152!) I was going to look into the salts.. need to look up dosing.  And it's ok to use with Maracyn?
...In happier news, I will be getting some plants tomorrow that have been on my list forever!  Yay!  Some anubias nana petite, that will go in front of the driftwood.  I've been saving that spot for them.  ;)

It's safe to use salts and antibiotics at the same time.  But I wouldn't use them if you have any snails, shrimp or plants in the tank. Hope your fish get better soon!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

Some new inhabitants!  Animal and vegetable.  ;)

We picked up 4 kuhli loaches at BA's.  Just cause they're really weird, and really appealing to an eight year old.  (ok, I think they're a bit fascinating too.)  Found this guy eating snail eggs.  He can stay!  And holy cow macro is unforgiving of 'dirtiness'.  Please excuse the mess.

kuhli loach Mar 16 by Peeka2, on Flickr

The vegetable inhabitant is not as cool.  Posting a thread looking for an ID, but posting here for journalling purposes too.  This stuff is choking out this mauritania lilaeopsis's valiant struggle for life.  I brush it off as best I can, vacuum it out... argh.

ID? by Peeka2, on Flickr

Neons are still in the hospital, antibiotic cycle is done, now waiting for fully healed fins before bringing them back.

touchofsky

I love your loaches!  They are such neat fish.  I had two weather loaches for many years and just lost one to what I believe was cancer a few months ago.  They became very tame with me, and were so funny when they would bury themselves in the gravel with just their heads sticking out.  Your 8 year old made a good choice  :)

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on March 16, 2012, 10:30:05 AMThe vegetable inhabitant is not as cool.  Posting a thread looking for an ID, but posting here for journalling purposes too.  This stuff is choking out this mauritania lilaeopsis's valiant struggle for life.  I brush it off as best I can, vacuum it out... argh.

Especially like the loach, nice pictures. The algae is cladophora, most common causes are low nutrients and/or co2.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

April update! 

I don't have any pictures from March because I was frustrated with the algae situation, the neon fin issues, and the sick humans in my house.   ;)

I think I've turned the corner on the algae.  The Excel dosing is helping, and I've added 3 amano shrimp.. the coolest looking algae eating machines that you can get!  I love watching their little claws grabbing a pebble, turning it and using at least 4 different legs to shove the algae into their mouth.  So cool.  Also love when they decide to do some swimming. 

People responded well to my more aesthetic cabinet transformation, so here's a pic of the whole thing in situ... picked up the shelves at Ikea, in the as-is.  Love. 

Full room by Peeka2, on Flickr

Here's the tank as it is today.  Moved the filter back to the middle to improve flow.   You can still see some algae strands, I'm due for a cleaning, but wanted to grab some pics anyway.  I don't like the left side:  think I want to move the rotala behind the wood now that the sword is gaining some volume.  Think I'll add another var. of crypt where the blyxa is.  Any other ideas?  And any ideas why is my val topping out at about 13cm tall?

April by Peeka2, on Flickr

New kids... guppies.  Keith wants baby fish, and this is the easiest way to do it.  Then we had had a conversation about 'gonopodium', sperm, eggs, how the sperm gets to the eggs.  And what sexy means!   :)  What a cool way to begin this kind of conversation.

April guppies by Peeka2, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! 

daworldisblack

Woah Brenda, you're taking this to a whole new level!! I like the whole set-up! Maybe your calling is in fishroom-interior-design :p I was thinking of doing something Zen-Inspired for my aquarium as well. Next project :) I like how the tank is coming along for a low-tech setup. Slow but steady growth it seems! I recommend some Crypt Blassii to beef up the plant mass. Nice broad leaves and a different colour to add to your current combo :) As well if the vals aren't doing it fo you, maybe the Crypt Balansae might fill the void - available in green and bronze :) I saw them at Big Al's west last i was there a few weeks ago.

Peekay

Thanks Rah!  I can always count on you for the species.   I saw some good coloured crypts at Al's too... may have to make another trip this week.   :)

charlie

Looking good Brenda, Kieth must be a proud young man & deservedly so.
Regards

Peekay

touchofsky

Congratulations on the new arrivals!

exv152

I assume that's a hagen waterhome rimless tank you have there? Very nice setup, the wider picture of your stand with the bookcase really helps put the tank into perspective. The cabinet and the lights all work well together.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

Frustration and success, both over the last couple weeks.

Success:  Algae in full retreat, plants visibly enjoying the excel and comprehensive dosing.   :)

Frustration:  >:(   Bloodfins have ALL jumped to their deaths.  The last one found on the morning AFTER I put a screen cover on the tank.  It must have squeaked out the back 1.5 inch space that I left along the length of the tank to allow for repositioning/adding filters and heaters, flopped across the lid, to die, laughing at my efforts to keep him in a box, on the floor in front of the tank.   

Also, we still have about 3 guppy fry, growing and giving us great pleasure, but all adults have died.  One body every morning, all 7 in a space of a week.  They were in QT, but I'm still kinda p-o.

Embarrassing to post my fishkeeping failures, but too bummed to keep it to myself.  I keep telling myself that I haven't lost any otos, loaches, shrimp, or neons yet, so it's not all disaster!   

Anyone else have things like this happen?  Determined jumpers, schools of fish dying right from the store?  My misery would love your company.  ;)

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on April 15, 2012, 11:38:39 AM
...Anyone else have things like this happen?  Determined jumpers, schools of fish dying right from the store?  My misery would love your company.  ;)

Yes, how about fish you meticously raised from fry, only to be eaten by greedy well fed angels? But it's all part and parcel of the hobby.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

There is no reason to be embarrassed. Loosing fish by jumping happens to all of us. Any fast fish will jump when spooked, switching the lights off is often enough to hear the tetras bouncing on the glass tops. Tetras are notorious jumpers, but even my discus had jumped. I would say any fish that spends a good amount of time in the upper half of the tank will jump to escape on danger, while the other may try to find cover.  The only way to avoid that is  complete cover that doesn't leave the tiniest gap; for some reason fish always manage to find it.

As for deaths of LFS fish, well, it's sad but not too surprising. Many fish come from farms in asia where they are not to reluctant to treat the fish with all kind of meds, hormones and what not to keep them alive while maintaining high stock levels. There is also the problem of week gen pools due to inbreeding and over breeding, which is certainly the case with all those fancy guppy strains. I find it very difficult to find quality fish today; it's almost guaranteed that new fish have ick, and there is a good chance that there is something else as well.
my fish suck

Lurch1

I just found 2 dead hatchets if that makes you feel better!

Peekay

Thanks guys. 

Eric, that is a whole other level of frustration.  :(

Lurch.. it doesn't make me feel better, just not so uniquely jinxed!  Poor hatchets.

Robert, thanks.  Going to have to seal the gaps. 

daworldisblack

Sorry to hear Brenda! Store-bought fishes are hit and miss and its always sad when you lose them :( Hopefully the fry make it! Young 'uns are more resilient then we think ;) As for flying fishes... i hate them! Killis are notorious for that and I have lost some to death-by-acrobatic-jump.  We can only keep our fingers crossed! I find having floating plants help deter jumping but its just an opinion.

bizfromqc

I have to stop reading this thread, because It makes me want to cover all my tanks LOL

All my tanks are open top but I think I may be OK as most of the fish in there hang in the lower/mid part of the tank (except for the neons). But I guess I'm willing to take the risk because I love the open top look, especially with the LED lighting.

I've got a cat that always keep an eye on the tanks and he'd snatch up any jumpers in a second. Makes me wonder if I've lost neons before but just never noticed since I've got the "cleaner" taking care of the evidence  ;)

Sorry about your fish Brenda :(

exv152

From personal experience fish jumping is often the case of the fish being startled (like fischkopf said) by something outside or inside the tank and it usually happens at night. I've never tried it myself but heard that some form of night light, whether it be an ambient back light or an led, that allows the potential jumper to see what's coming at them and not to be startled in the darkness, greatly helps reduce the jumping.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

It's been months, but I finally took a few new pictures!

I love our new angel fish.  They were what we needed in a bigger specimen that provides some upper/mid movement, and of course beautiful fins and colour.  And, they're unique enough to be named by the kids, unlike the horde of tetras.   They named one after the dog.  :) 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here's a full tank shot.  Some things are doing well, others, NOT!  I've realized that I am growing beautiful but weirdly short vals, and they're multiplying.  So, retooling to use them as mid-ground, rather than expecting them to fill the back.  I think this will work better.

None of the small stuff has worked for me, as you can see by the poor teeny clumps of blyxa (bad colour!), the lilaeopsis and marsilea are both toast too.  This really doesn't surprise me, as this is not a lowish light, excel only tank.  Was worth the try, thanks to those who shared these plants with me. 

That big white orb in the corner is a breeder net... guppy mom ready to spawn again, and we'd like to see the babies before the angels eat them. 

Thanks for looking!   :-*

DrReefer

Hey PeeKay !! Very nice build , The tank fits just right under that wall mounted storage / bookshelf unit . Can I ask you where you got it ?

Peekay

Dr Reefer, the shelving is Ikea.. Hemnes series.  They pretty much always have it in the as is section for substantial savings.  It's even actual wood, unlike most things there. 

There are lots of shelving systems now that have this type of 'bridge' piece to go around a big tv. 

exv152

I like your new angels, how many did you get?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Looking nice Brenda! The planats that aren't doing well do require a little more light so they may not propagate well but at best, just remain as is - of course the worse-case scenario there is melting. But despite that, the rest of the tank still looks like its coming along spectacularly! It only took what.. 6 1/2 months? :p Haha.. I also like your new angels, they look pretty awesome and yes, probably much needed in a larger tank such as your's. I hope the battle with the new algae and deficiencies will be a short one!

Peekay

Thanks guys.

Eric, we got 5, knowing that in a few years, we may have to rehome a couple.  They're only about 1.5 inches right now.  How fast do they grow?  You've got those beautiful wild caught ones, right?

Rah... 6.5 months?  Geez.  Already?  Time flies.  Exept when it's so slow... still want things more filled in.   ;)

exv152

Quote from: Peekay on July 17, 2012, 02:14:39 PM
Eric, we got 5, knowing that in a few years, we may have to rehome a couple.  They're only about 1.5 inches right now.  How fast do they grow?  You've got those beautiful wild caught ones, right?..

Yeah, I homed the wild peruvians in a bare bottom tank for the first 6-8 months and got some wicked growth out of them by overfeeding and doing daily partial water changes, similar to what you'd do for discus. As a result of keeping the nitrates low they grew a bit faster, all with the exception of one, the runt of the pack. I got 6 of 'em because I knew one would eventually become the bully victim. I wouldn't recommend keeping nitrates low in a planted tank because you'll end up with a half dozen different algaes to fight. How fast they grow really depends on you and where you keep them, but they have the potential to grow huge and fast.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: Peekay on July 17, 2012, 02:14:39 PM
Rah... 6.5 months?  Geez.  Already?  Time flies.  Exept when it's so slow... still want things more filled in.   ;)

Lol yeap.. its really flown by! Good thing yours is a low tech set up. A high-tech one fills up fast and its nice but needs a lil more maintenance love too :p

charlie

Brenda please alleviate my curiosity  :)
Regards

Peekay

Went to take a quick shot, but a battery elf seems to have stolen ONE of the batteries out of my camera!   :D

Will try again later. 

Peekay

'Cause everyone loves poor quality cell phone pics.  Super awesome. 

charlie

Very well done, thanks for sharing, keep it coming.
Thanks

Peekay

Ok.. with Santa coming to our house again in just a few weeks, I though it was time for an update.

Struggled to figure out my light/fert balance over the last months, with BBA making an appearance, and stuff just looking dim and growing poorly.

Reduced light by a couple hours, doubled Excel dose, got better at dosing Flourish Comprehensive on schedule, and things are looking brighter.   Guess what!  My vals finally passed 6 inches!  Some reach the top of the water now, and are spreading.  I'm rebuilding plant stock after losing a lot to algae/bad growth, and am really feeling good about this now.  This is a low-light, non-CO2 tank, so things take time, oh so much time. 

Fish are doing well, a fresh batch of guppy babies are in a nursery tank to grow out and become breeder-feeders for the angels.  The black/silver striped angelfish has developed that red eye like the wilds, which is so cool. 

Thanks for looking!

Full tank!

Oh Hi. 

exv152

The tank looks really good, and the angelfish are a nice touch.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Thanks for the update, looking great, nice to see what you guys have done with that set up  ;)

daworldisblack

Wow its really coming together nicely :) Pretty good for a year!

fischkopp

I like the look of it. So, what will Santa bring this year? ;)
my fish suck

Peekay

Quote from: fischkopp on December 05, 2012, 10:57:37 AM
I like the look of it. So, what will Santa bring this year? ;)

Arduino microcontroller and prototyping kit. 
This kid is interested in complex stuff, apparently. 

For me?  Several gallons of Flourish excel.  At double dose, it goes quick.   ;D 

daworldisblack

Quote from: Peekay on December 07, 2012, 08:46:56 AM

For me?  Several gallons of Flourish excel.  At double dose, it goes quick.   ;D 

Haha.. yeah Arduino! Its on my wishlist too along with a Raspberry Pi! I taught summer camp kids the basics of microcontrollers and made them program it - used a motion sensor and some LEDs to emulate pop-dispensing machines and how they light up when someone walks by. Great learning tool! Good one Brenda  ;)

BizFromQC

I have an Arduino Uno that I've been meaning to turn into a smart controller that I could use with my phone but never got around to it. It's a fun platform to get into micro programming, a launching pad to other platforms. Those Raspberry PI are pretty sweet looking ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BizFromQC

Quote from: Peekay on December 07, 2012, 08:46:56 AM

Brenda, you should look at the Metricide 14 as a cheaper alternative to Excel. I arranged a group buy last year and still have some.

Look at the group orders sub forum I'm pretty sure some folks wanted in on the next order, you could tag along and save some cash for your liquid carbon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

charlie

With a tank that size Excel and even the DIY metricide for me is not a feasible of getting carbon in the tank, for one it becomes costly over a period of time for 20 gallon or less -yes it`s worth it.
The added benefit of going the CO2 injection  the carbon produced is way more beneficial than Excel or other & the fact that it is a set it & forget it way ( depending on the quality of your co2 rig), it`s 1 less thing to dose, the cons of prassurised injection is the obvious start up cost & more equipment, it`s for the user to decide which one is more economical & fits their requirement.
Errol
P.S for comparsion  a good basic co2 rig without the bells & whisltes can be had for about 160.00 ( Regulator& bottle) with a refill once a year for about 25.00.

Peekay

Quote from: charlie on December 07, 2012, 01:34:00 PM
With a tank that size Excel and even the DIY metricide for me is not a feasible of getting carbon in the tank, for one it becomes costly over a period of time for 20 gallon or less -yes it`s worth it.
The added benefit of going the CO2 injection  the carbon produced is way more beneficial than Excel or other & the fact that it is a set it & forget it way ( depending on the quality of your co2 rig), it`s 1 less thing to dose, the cons of prassurised injection is the obvious start up cost & more equipment, it`s for the user to decide which one is more economical & fits their requirement.
Errol
P.S for comparsion  a good basic co2 rig without the bells & whisltes can be had for about 160.00 ( Regulator& bottle) with a refill once a year for about 25.00.

Charlie, I'm considering it.  It's interesting that you call it a set it and forget it method... I only put excel and fish food in the tank daily.  If I switch to Co2, don't I get into EI which is several fertilizers every day?  Any way, I plan to revisit the research phase before deciding. 

Eric, I'll look for that group buy, thanks. 

And now I know where to turn for Arduino info.  Rah knows everything!  Wowza.  Keith is 9.. this is our new lego.  ;)

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on December 07, 2012, 04:28:54 PM
Charlie, I'm considering it.  It's interesting that you call it a set it and forget it method... I only put excel and fish food in the tank daily.  If I switch to Co2, don't I get into EI which is several fertilizers every day?  Any way, I plan to revisit the research phase before deciding. 

Eric, I'll look for that group buy, thanks. 

And now I know where to turn for Arduino info.  Rah knows everything!  Wowza.  Keith is 9.. this is our new lego.  ;)
Brenda, it`s interesting that your plants are doing so good without supplementing the nutrients, usually that is a sign that your light, plants & carbon supply & the existing nutrient level is balanced,so if you switch to injection you will be replacing the excel. I`m not advocating by any means that this is the way to grow plants ( without supplementing nutrients, your case is unique) it may very well be that your plant load & uptake is just right for the bio waste the tank is generating which is what i referred to as balance, so the short answer is if this no nutrient is working for you don`t change it  ;)
Errol
P.S. if you need any help with a CO 2 rig give me a shout.

fischkopp

I have to say as well: good choice of present for the kid. Maybe he can get that aquarium computer going that I was planning to do for so long now. That would be a fun project. I have my arduino sitting in the drawer for two years now, just don't seem to find the time to get it going.  ;)
my fish suck