New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 25 Gallon build!

Started by daworldisblack, January 25, 2012, 11:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

This is going to be a new build for me. Just re-siliconed a 25Gal aquarium and going to scratch the planted tank itch! Haven't done a whole lot but I have built a stand, not the best looking but its functional, and siliconed the tank up and just ran a water test right now!

Was a pain (the good kind ;D) as it was my first time doing it all. Who'd have thought 2x4s were really 1.5x3.5s. It was a pain to realise that only after I got home. So after many trips its done.. I'm happy that it works so not bothering with the fancy stuff. Function over fashion!

Silicone was a whole other matter. I messed up royally and removing silicone with a blade meticulously TWICE is no fun! Anyways, I think i finally got it the second time round. Looks neat, no bubbles and no leaks!

Filling up...

Ghetto style.. funnel attached to my python, hung to the showerhead with some elastic bands

I did a test to see what a leak would look like on the brown paper.. it should be quite obvious, from the look of the wet spot

All filled up and looks like it is not leaking! Whew!

Next up is getting it up and running! Going to be taking all the plants out of my 10G plant grow-out tank and planting it to the 25G. You can see some of the livestock  I plan on keeping as well. Mainly a dwarf gourami, a school of 12 Neon Tetras, 6 Amanos, 1 Zebra Nerite Snail, 2 Tiger Nerite Snails, MTS as well as Red Ramshorns. Later additions include GBRs and potentially some Endlers although I've heard endlers in planted tanks are considerd pests? I need to do a little more research. More information on the other things that matter to be posted soon!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

Great stuff.

I went through the same process a couple of weeks ago, also with a 25G. Like you said, it was a major PITA, especially removing the old silicone. Putting the new one in was the easy part. Did the water test and it's all good. That being said, I'm glad I did it but I don't think I want to do it again LOL

It's the main reason why I left the tank there at the mini-auction (I'm the one who won it). I hadn't really look at the condition and when I saw that it was rough, I decided to leave it there for someone else to enjoy and only brought home the heater/filter.

Did you pick it up or was it another tank? Had I known, I would have given it to you, I think it was a 30.

I'm looking forward to see the rest of the thread, keep up the work and pictures, I need inspiration for my 25  ;D

Peekay

Woohoo!  Your plan is in action!  Despite setbacks, it looks like there will be life soon... looking forward to it. 

:)

charlie

Great start Rah - now hurry up & take your time  ;)
Errol

bizfromqc

Do you plan to keep the stand bare like this or jazz it up somehow?

daworldisblack

Thanks Everyone! I am going to be as patient as I can while setting it up Errol haha.. I think after the meeting I am taking the aquascaping a little more seriously and giving it some thought. It is my first build however so I might go with the flow and then get inspiration form looking at it over time.

Quote from: bizfromqc on January 26, 2012, 07:46:00 AM
It's the main reason why I left the tank there at the mini-auction (I'm the one who won it). I hadn't really look at the condition and when I saw that it was rough, I decided to leave it there for someone else to enjoy and only brought home the heater/filter.

Did you pick it up or was it another tank? Had I known, I would have given it to you, I think it was a 30.

I'm looking forward to see the rest of the thread, keep up the work and pictures, I need inspiration for my 25  ;D

Haha. You left it there?! Wow! I had taken a look-see and it wasn't in the best of shape.. i saw the algae in the silicone and I told myself no.. haha.. Not after I have done the de-silicone/re-silicone TWICE! Admittedly the second time round was easier but still I think I've had my share of silicone for now.

As for jazzing up the stand, I think I am going to leave this one as is. I just needed something big enough for the 25G's footprint. I was going to go through with the fancy stuff but it would easily double to cost for me right now. I'd rather use that fund for the aquarium itself - need a bubble counter, proper diffuser etc. Maybe a better more simple stained stand would be a future project when I have saved up a little for my hobby-fund :)

charlie

LMK what type of diffuser you are thinking of going with , i might just have one to fit your taste @ cost. :)

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on January 26, 2012, 05:20:38 PM
LMK what type of diffuser you are thinking of going with , i might just have one to fit your taste @ cost. :)

Lol.. only had I known sooner.. Already have a layaway order coming in to Big Al's Kanata. Decided to get the Fluval Ceramic Diffuser you preached about. Peter had it for sale but someone snatched it up before me.. but it could also be be because he thinks I called him Paul. *shakes head*. Also got a bubble counter from the same Fluval CO2 88g Kit.. I think I'l give those a shot.. right now I have CO2 diffused through a powerhead but I found my Oto stuck in there today  :( Hopefully he makes it now that he's free. If you had other suggestions I'm all ears but looking forward to the one coming in to see how it'll do. Also have a drop-checker set-up coming in sometime soon off of ebay that would be of help.

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on January 26, 2012, 05:20:38 PM

Another hint... so when is it opening?  ;)

daworldisblack

Finally got round to setting things up! Got some black foam board on the back and planted the plants from my 10G grow-out tank. Clearly there were some plants that did well in there and others that didn't do too too well. Tons of Rotala Rotundafolia!

I am waiting on the dwarf hair grass to take off ( I should be careful of what I wish for according to Paul and Errol :p) so it will be my main foreground plant with the Dwarf Sagitaria. Growing some fissidens (real slow grower!) so that I can put it on the driftwood eventually. I am expecting the crypts to melt too so definitely not the final set up here. Also have a single stalk of Limnophila Sessiliflora that I want to propogate and hopefully I should have a bunch of it soon. Also waiting on the L. Arcuata to get propogated! They will be the 'bushes' that will fill the back.

I feel like it looks like it needs way more work but waiting on the plants to grow-out for now. You can tell I have no talent for aquascaping but I'll evolve it as it moves along. In the meanwhile, I'm all ears to tips! The malaysian driftwood is there just because I had good bacteria on it as it was in my grow-out tank.

::Aquarium Specs::

-AQUARIUM-

25Gallon 30Lx12Dx16H

-LIGHTS-

24" Hagen Glo Dual Fixture: Giesseman Bulbs ( Midday + Aquaflora) ~18" above substrate

-CO2-

Paintball Setup with modified fluval filter as a diffuser
*Update* Fluval 88g System Ceramic Diffuser + Bubble Counter

-PLANTS-

1) Dwarf Sagittaria
2) Needle-leaved Java Fern
3) Blyxia Japonica
4) Anubias Nana
5) Red Tiger Lotus
6) Pennywort
7) Dwarf Hair Grass / Lilaeopsis mauritiana ??
8 ) Crypt Wendtii Brown
9) Crypt Wendtii Green
10) Crypt Balansae / Cryptocoryne retrospiralis ??
11) Lymnophila Aromitica
12) Lymnophila Sessiliflora (Asian Ambulia)
13) Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'
14) Ludwiga Repens
15) Ludwiga Arcuata
16) Dwarf water lettuce
17) Fissidens Fontanus
18) Hemianthus micranthemoides (Pearl Weed)
19) Aponogeton capuroni

-SUBSTRATE-

Flourite Black as the base and Flourite Black Sand from the grow-out tank on top

-FERTS-

PPS-Pro
Flourish Root Tabs

-LIVESTOCK-

3 Dwarf Gouramies
11 Neon Tetras
1 Oto Cat
6 Amano Shrimp
Ramshorn Snails
Trumpet Snails
Flag Fish
German Ram Pair (In a few weeks)

So this is still a project in the works but its up and running finally. I should be doing partial water changes for the first little while and check that the lights aren't too much. Dont have the best reflectors so I should have medium lighting with the current set-up. Anyways, thats all I have for now. Leave comments :) I know its not the best build to come out in the last little while but I am working on it! :p

fischkopp

I am glad to see that smaller tanks with dwarf cichlids coming back in fashion. I like your setup, it will look great, give it a few weeks for the plants to grow in and it will be awesome. Good choice on the bulbs too, it's my preferred combination. ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

touchofsky

I agree, give it a few weeks growth, and it will look great.  A lot of the fun is in the tweaking and fine tuning as you go along  :)

pm

Quote from: daworldisblack on January 30, 2012, 10:41:44 PM
I am waiting on the dwarf hair grass to take off ( I should be careful of what I wish for according to Paul and Errol :p)

Jab taken  ;)

Peekay

Don't be so hard on yourself!  I think it's going to be great. 

Where did you find the needle leaved java fern? 

daworldisblack

daworldisblack

Quote from: Peekay on January 31, 2012, 09:42:20 AM
Where did you find the needle leaved java fern? 

All the way from the suburbs of Toronto :D No worries.. soon as I get it going, I should be able to share it here :)

daworldisblack

Quote from: fischkopp on January 30, 2012, 11:41:03 PM
Good choice on the bulbs too, it's my preferred combination. ;)

Def a big change compared to spiral CFLs :p

pm

Quote from: daworldisblack on January 31, 2012, 09:58:30 AM
All the way from the suburbs of Toronto

Yeah, I got mine there too.  It seems the Canadian market is cornered in the unfinished basement of a Markham house.  ;D

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on January 31, 2012, 09:58:30 AM
All the way from the suburbs of Toronto :D No worries.. soon as I get it going, I should be able to share it here :)
When you & Peter start propagating call me first  ;D
Good work Rah, only thing i`m not a fan of is the intake tube of filter being so prominent , i know the plants will grow in & hide some of it, but would be better in my opinion cut it if it`s too long & have it in the corner.
keep the updates coming.
Errol

androo303

Good work buddy. I hope the dosing regime will make mine as hearty as yours!!! Thumbs up man!!!