New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 25 Gallon build!

Started by daworldisblack, January 25, 2012, 11:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on January 31, 2012, 10:27:03 AM
Good work Rah, only thing i`m not a fan of is the intake tube of filter being so prominent , i know the plants will grow in & hide some of it, but would be better in my opinion cut it if it`s too long & have it in the corner.

Thanks Errol. I was wondering if I should do that actually.. my other option was to line the area around the intake with some pebbles so the sand doesn't go in but def going to cut it eventually. Right now am just letting the plants grow in and once that is good, i'll hvae a more definite scape. Once thats accomplished, I need to figure out where to place intake, spraybar, powerhead, CO2 diffuser etc. so that the tank doesn't look like a science fair.

Quote from: androo303 on January 31, 2012, 08:57:04 PM
Good work buddy. I hope the dosing regime will make mine as hearty as yours!!! Thumbs up man!!!

Thanks Andrew! I sure hope everything works out for ya as well! Just gotta Dose and Supplement with CO2 and play with lighting and  let the magic happen!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

Rah, what canister filter are you using with this tank? Judging on the color of the intake/outtake I'm going to guess an Eheim filter?

I have a brand new Fluval 205 (still in the box) that I was planning on using for my 25G (same dimensions as yours) and was wondering about the flow...

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 02, 2012, 03:56:32 PM
Rah, what canister filter are you using with this tank? Judging on the color of the intake/outtake I'm going to guess an Eheim filter?

I have the Eheim 2213. Some may argue that it ain't enough but for my aquarium I think its should suffice. I also have a powerhead going for flow. It provides me 116GPH filtration which is about 4-5 times/hour. Yours does indicate a higher GPH so should be fine. Although i've read that most companies post GPH values sans filter media. Head height also plays a role here probably and your's looks like its got a good number. Probably should be fine :)

daworldisblack

Its not even been a week yet but am pretty excited with how things are looking! Some pic updates!

Got the new diffuser - the ceramic diffuser for the Fluval 88g CO2 System. I think it works great! Thanks for the suggestion Errol! Right now I have it set to feed some into the intake and some are being swished around in the current from the outtake.

Along with the diffuser, I also got the bubble counter. Those who've used the paintball route know that its a pain since its hard to get a steady rate. Sometimes its crazy and other times it dwindles down. So I got myself the bubble counter to help me check if the rate is steady and if tweaking is required. Before I used to put the co2 tube into the water to find the bps. I coulda made my own DIY since I love me some DIY projects but for 5.99 you can't go wrong with this! Impressive! Its got the twist-screw-things to secure your input and output tube AND a gasket to keep your bubble counter airtight! I quite like it! Also FYI, i keep the CO2 at 1bps running 24/7. I'll find out if its too little after I get my drop-checker but def not too much as livestock are all doing fine.

Plants wise, I was expecting some crypt melt but its my anubias thats melted. I actually decreased dosage while the plants took time to assimilate and root up etc. so this is a consequence of it. I still see new leaves on the other anubias plants as well however so its a casualty of tank-transfer. Lean dosing was implemented for the initial set-up period to prevent algae outbreak. I think its been working good - plants are rooting up, algae is down to a minimum, co2 is being injected and photo-period has been maintained at 8 hours.

New Growth on the Crypt Wendtii Brown and Green!

Part of my preventive measures to avoid algae as much as possible also includes having floating plants that are fast growers just in case I still have excess ferts in the column even from my lean dosing, while the plants are assimilating. Here is my 'wreath' of hornwart. I also have Dwarf water lettuce.

Another 'growth' shot. Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba' this time. Also getting some new growth from my Pearl Weed as well as L. Sessiliflora.

Once the plants are rooted and have grown out a little, I plan to finalize the positon of the intake tube, outtake spraybar, diffuser as well as the powerhead. Also waiting on my drop-checker from EBAY! Please leave comments if you've got suggestions or anything to add :)

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

bizfromqc

Looking good!

Was it you that was talking about maybe getting a SS cover for the filter intake? If you're up for it, I could go half and half with you on the shipping and buy a couple (I want 2-3).

What kind of moss do you have floating up towards the top of the tank on the mesh?

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 04, 2012, 05:42:11 PM
Looking good!

Was it you that was talking about maybe getting a SS cover for the filter intake? If you're up for it, I could go half and half with you on the shipping and buy a couple (I want 2-3).

What kind of moss do you have floating up towards the top of the tank on the mesh?

Thanks! SS cover? Don't think so :p The moss is Fissidens Fontanus :)

bizfromqc

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 04, 2012, 05:50:42 PM
Thanks! SS cover? Don't think so :p The moss is Fissidens Fontanus :)

Sorry, thought for sure it was you...
Phoenix Moss, cool.

daworldisblack

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 04, 2012, 05:57:03 PM
Sorry, thought for sure it was you...

Lol.. i might have said something about LED lighting from MOPS but no SS cover :)

pm

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 04, 2012, 05:42:11 PM
Looking good!

Was it you that was talking about maybe getting a SS cover for the filter intake? If you're up for it, I could go half and half with you on the shipping and buy a couple (I want 2-3)

I think it was me with the SS filter intakes.  What sizes were you looking at (12mm, 14mm, or 16mm)?  And how fast do you need it?

bizfromqc

Quote from: pm on February 04, 2012, 06:41:04 PM
I think it was me with the SS filter intakes.  What sizes were you looking at (12mm, 14mm, or 16mm)?  And how fast do you need it?

Hey, I knew I didn't dream about this!
I'm in no rush though but I'll have to take the ruler out but I definitely want one for my Fluval 205 intake (I'll send you a PM)

androo303

So damned jealous!!! I hope my tank picks up!!!

I tried using my inline co2 diffuser on the out feed of my xp3 pump but it keeps burping, so I think I am gonna go with your setup and a ceramic diffuser..

Keep'er going man!!

charlie

daworldisblack

Wow these phone pics are terrible! It will have to suffice for now I guess:) Thanks Errol for the bump in the head lol. I'm lazy when it comes to updating this but LOVE looking at others' tanks :p I am liking where mine is going as well though!

Heres the FTS:

Things have grown in on the left. The right is still lagging behind somewhat but mostly because I have yet to find plants to fill the spot up. Procuring is still in the works (and probably always be ;))

Right side of the tank. The Dwarf Saggitaria is carpeting well. Have thinned it a few times now. Moved my crypt wendtii brown and green onto this side as well. I can't get my Crinium Calamistratum to take on this side though. Using Pennywort as my main background plant behind the driftwood and liking it.

Middle of the tank. HM and Mermaid Weed in the back.

Right side. Have S. Repens as my foreground plant here. Back is L. Aromatica and Rotala Rotundafolia. The L. Aromatica could look nicer but I am failing at making it look nice and red and 'Full'. Tips? Also have the A. Capuroni surrounded by the S. Repens. L. Glandulosa courtesy of Errol currently being grown-out there. Will be transplanted at a later point to a suitable spot.

One of the new additions: Zebra Nerite Snail! Awesome for GSA!

My little dwarf hairgrass patch is coming along .. slowly but surely. Brenda, I wonder how your carpet is doing? :) I know it was a pain to plant these lil buggers!

An older shot of my newer additions as well - German Blue Rams!

Looking forward to tips w/ regards to plant stocking options. Also will take a higher resolution pic and update soon! Thanks for reading :)

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

exv152

Nice tank, I like the addition of german blue rams, one of my personal favourites.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bizfromqc

I really like it Rah, it's looking good  :)

charlie

Thanks for updating Rah, keep the good work up, love to see updates  ;D
For the SS intake holics, i want to join this group too LMK.

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on March 24, 2012, 02:24:55 PM
Thanks for updating Rah, keep the good work up, love to see updates  ;D

I want in as well, keep me in the loop.

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on March 24, 2012, 02:24:55 PM

Lol maybe its late.. but SS intake holics? Lol.. not getting it  ???

daworldisblack

Thanks guys for the feedback :) Looking to further develop this by getting new plants. Still not sure what yet but I'll know when I see it :)

pm

I am a little late on the comments, but the tank looks great!  :)

As for the ss club, I assume it is the stainless steel filter intake club... But I could be wrong.  For those interested I have one, and it is great for protecting young fish and shrimp, without the need to clean it as often as a sponge.