New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ridiculously easy maintenance low tech tank?

Started by brotherluv, February 08, 2012, 11:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brotherluv

After seeing some of the amazing planted tanks on this forum I've decided to perhaps try my hand at it again. My first attempt failed miserably!  The only plants that survived  was the nana and the bamboo lol.  I'm not interested in spending much money...I have the10g tank, filters, driftwood, rocks, substrate (not sure what kind fine black pebbles and slightly larger white pebbles)  and fish (betta white clouds and neon tetras) ..I'd like to use the stock light fixture off my 55g tank ( 18" f15 t8 bulb).  Is it possible to do this with what I've got?  Can someone help point me in the right direction?

charlie

it is possible, it would help if we know how much you are prepared to spend & what types of plants interest you.
The stock light off your 55 might be a tad longer than the 10 gallon, if the over hang is not an issues, sure it can work.
Regards

brotherluv

I would be interested in low maintenance plants.  No specific types any that's easy to grow.  I'd like to spend as little as possible. Let's aim for $50 for the initial re start up.  Most important variable is it works this time, money comes second. Id like it to work for as little as possible.  Thanks.

Peekay

The most luscious cheap tanks are the dirt substrate ones... look up "walstad planted tanks".  I'm not sure that it fits the bill of 'easy', unfortunately, at least in the establishing phase.

That said, I think that you can do it with what you have! 
Some low light plants are anubias, java fern, java moss.  And cryptocorynes! 

Spend the money on the right plants, and some root tab (fertilizers) for the crypts and swords, add patience (this stuff grows more slowly than anything under high light), and I think you can do it.  :) 

For slow growers, I would also invest in an otocinclus algae eating fish.  Anubias can keep each leaf for years, so you need something to keep it clean of algae.   

brotherluv

Is what I've got considered  high light?  I'll grab some of those fert tabs and the oto fish you mentioned...good start I suppose.  Don't sword plants grow too big for my tank...?  Where can I get these java plants you speak of?  I work beside big al's in kanata.

Peekay

I wouldn't call it high light, no.  Those plants are all lower light.

Swords, yes too big... sorry, I edited them out of an earlier part of the post considering the size, but missed the root tab sentence.

I have found crypts at big al's, but not really any of the others, unfortunately.  Sometimes they have java ferns at petsmart.  I often see anubias on the arrivals list for LaNiche. 

Crypts may melt when you put them in a new tank, but don't give up on them.. it's common, and they usually come back if you leave the roots where they are. 

brotherluv

Any other types?  I don't mind changing the bulb maybe if it gives me a few more options...although I think you've given me good ones to start. I won't drive to la niche as I live in renfrew and don't want to drive that far. I have an annubias that is in my cichlid tank I can use.  Basically I dont want to use co2 

sas

African fern, Bolbitis heudelotii is a great plant for low light.
I can drop a piece off to you next time in town if you're
interested? I've also got the large leafed anubias,Anubias barteri I can share as
well? Warning though there may be some algae to play with, although nothing
too serious.
I may have one or two val plantlets as well if you need.
Renfrew was supposed to get plants last week?

Let me know :).

brotherluv

That's quite generous! Any plants you have that you think will work is be open to trying sas:)  I'm going to use my anubias nana plant.   What order should I get stuff?  I can get root tabs and,the oto before  i go home tonight. then I just start adding plants?  Should i dose Excel or Excel flourish when i put in the plants and how many plants is too much? 

charlie

You have received great tips.
I would change the light for sure
A Double bright LED fixture from Marineland-18-24 would be nice with that tank & plants mentioned, also look at getting a used MFG light fixture & gut it & replace with 2 x 13  Spiral Compact flourescent if the LED is more than you are prepeared to spend, another alternative s the sunblatser type hydroponics T5 HO strip light ( around 30.00 & a piece of PVC rain gutter from Home Depot as aDIY  housing &  reflector.
A bottle of Seachem Excel will help with some added carbon & last a long time on that size of tank, that`s a starting point.
BTW don`t get tied up with the watts per gallon rule, in short its not applicable to 10 gallon or smaller.
http://www.canadianfishforums.com/plants/plants.htm
http://sites.google.com/site/azdhan/thelostworld2
http://www.rexgrigg.com/mlt.html
Errol

Peekay

Quote from: charlie on February 09, 2012, 12:19:03 PM

I would change the light for sure
A Double bright LED fixture from Marineland-18-24 would be nice with that tank & plants mentioned, also look at getting a used MFG light fixture & gut it & replace with 2 x 13  Spiral Compact flourescent if the LED is more than you are prepeared to spend, another alternative s the sunblatser type hydroponics T5 HO strip light ( around 30.00 & a piece of PVC rain gutter from Home Depot as aDIY  housing &  reflector.

Errol

What would you consider the lighting levels if brotherluv got one of these?
Just for my curiosity!
B

brotherluv

sas

Not a problem sharing. It'll be nice to see another planted tank.
I'd give Sweet hydroponic Gardens a call. He's out on Bruce st.,
in Renfrew.
I bought the sunblasters and really like them.

touchofsky

I bought a Sunblaster from Sweet's, as well.  It is a 36" T5HO.  I put it over a 38 gallon tank just a few weeks ago.  I would say it is giving more than low light, with just the one bulb. 

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on February 09, 2012, 12:43:09 PM
What would you consider the lighting levels if brotherluv got one of these?
Just for my curiosity!
B
They would probably fall into the medium to medium low bracket
for reference the DBL led i have seen some  so called medium light plants grown with it, La Niche has a diplay of one, i Will try to get a picture & post it
You have to take into consideration the height of the tank.
The single T5 HO will probably be height light on a 10 gallon only because of the high intensity & the shallow height of a 10 gln, the alternative to controlling light is to raise it to lower the intensity.
OP i think the Marineland LED are on sale @ MOPS or Petsandpond  can`t remember which one. My preference for a low light tank like you are seeking is the Marineland LED.
Errol

bt

It's MOPS that has the Marineland Double Brights on sale right now.

Lurch1

I am setting up a dirt tank as we speak. Organic Miracle Grow potting mix and some potters clay capped with sand or gravel. Super easy and cheap substrate.

brotherluv

brotherluv

Oh they are a sponsor of ovas...how seep should the substrate be i have approx 1 inch.

charlie

Lurch1

Usually about 1.5 of soil and the same again of gravel

exv152

Quote from: brotherluv on February 08, 2012, 11:11:19 PM
After seeing some of the amazing planted tanks on this forum I've decided to perhaps try my hand at it again. My first attempt failed miserably!... Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Excellent article about doing a low tech setup.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

brotherluv

I just ordered the double bright LEDS from MOPS...so much for the $50 budget lol. I got the fert tabs from Big Als...they didn't have an oto cat...I suppose I need some deeper substrate now some plants then I'm ready to go?

brotherluv

Where can I find the organic miracle grow porting mix and potting clay?

touchofsky

I know you mentioned you have a gravel substrate in the tank now.  How long has it been in there and how coarse is it?

brotherluv

It's been in there 6 months and the black stuff is 1mm white stuff is 2mm....

touchofsky

So, is the black as fine as sand, and the white a very small gravel?  The reason I am asking, is that if you are planning a low light tank, with undemanding plants, the substrate that you have may be adequate, if you supplement it with root tabs.  I have pool filter sand in two of my tanks, with root tabs, and the plants are growing very well.

brotherluv

Sounds like I'm ready to start adding plants as soon as the leds arrive...thanks.

touchofsky

How deep is the layer of gravel in the tank now?

brotherluv

Approximately 1 inch deep...is that enough you think?

brotherluv

To answer your earlier question yes it is as fine as sand.

touchofsky

It should be deeper than that for a planted tank.  I usually have a couple of inches in the front, and 3 inches in the back, approximately. 

brotherluv

I just ordered a bag of Eco complete from MOPS as well as a big jug of flourish Excel...the double bright LEDS are already on their way...it seems like everything is ready to go except the plants.  I'm gonna grab some more driftwood tomorrow from big als...exciting times!

touchofsky

Sounds great!  What plants are you planning on?

brotherluv

Going to have to see what I can get my hands on...sas has offered to share sone that she has which is exceptionally generous!  I like the one la niche has in the middle of their tank under the same leds I'm getting! I'm going to,have to research more options.  :) 

sas

Yep plants are still here :).
If............. you have patience ;),which I never had, the giant auction is just around the corner,
and there will be lots of great plants available.
Cheers

bizfromqc

Patience, that's what' this hobby is all about.

Unfortunately, I'm still working on that  ::)

MOPS is great, I've ordered there twice and got the stuff right to my door in 24 hours, and that was using the regular shipping option too...

touchofsky

I have been ordering from MOPS for years now, and their service has always been top-notch.

exv152

I've ordered from MOPS too and have never had any issues, and good prices.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Consigliere

Too bad you didn't read the post on DIY glutaraldehyde.  Could've saved yourself some money compared to flourish excel.  Maybe your next order....good luck with the tank.

brotherluv

I got 2L of flourish excel for less than $35.  Although I'm all about saving money my time is worth a lot to me since I am always working...

Consigliere

You can get the equivalent of 8L for $30 shipped if you use a product like metricide.

brotherluv

Ha. As soon as I finished posting my last comments I noticed your thread :o...I wish I would have noticed it sooner and am going to remember it when I run out of flourish.  I'm guessing 2L will last me quite sone time considering its only a 10g tank...

brotherluv

I got the eco complete today.  now I need some plants and I'm finished...

brotherluv

Ive now got my plants and am wondering How much excel to dose per day or week. .. What is the best schedule?

charlie

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 10:09:47 AM
Ive now got my plants and am wondering How much excel to dose per day or week. .. What is the best schedule?
I think Seachem suggest 5 ml/capful per 50 gallon daily.
Probably a good start for your set up - 1 capful 2-3 X a week & see how it works.
Regards

brotherluv

Thanks for the quick reply Charlie!  and thanks sas for the amazing plants!  the tank looks awesome  I Love this hobby!  ;D 8) ;D 8)

bettabreeder

Pictures!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sas

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 10:43:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Charlie!  and thanks sas for the amazing plants!  the tank looks awesome  I Love this hobby!  ;D 8) ;D 8)

Your very welcome :)

A thought on Excel and vals do they not melt when dosing with Excel?

bizfromqc

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 10:43:44 AM

Enough already, post some pics  :P

brotherluv

Horrible pics but the digital camera is 12 years old...any suggestions on  placement of my plants is welcome!!

Thanks

brotherluv

if the excel is going to kill a plant should I move it or not dose??

bizfromqc

Hooray for pictures. Nice looking tank.
I like the layout the way it is now. I'd definitely add a background to the tank though  :)

As for the Vals, mine melted (as you probably read in another thread) when I started the recommended Excel dosing. It was suggested to me to start easy with the Excel and gradually increase to the recommended dosing.

brotherluv

bizfromqc

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 04:10:33 PM
like a black backdrop??

8)

I'm personally a big fan of the black background. It's on all my tanks.
Take a look at the Betta Palace,  Errol used white vinyl and it's looking pretty neat.

bettabreeder

I made my backgrounds out of cardboard and blue spray paint and they look good in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brotherluv

I think I'm going to get a piece of bristol board...I'lltry black to start and see how it looks :)

brotherluv

oh yeah why do they advertise the  marineland LED units as being 18-24" but it wont mount on my 20" tank?  Am I supposed to have a glass top and just let it sit on top...?  I'm still using my old light...I thought the mounts would be retractable and able to fit properly on a tank between 18-24"... ::)

touchofsky

It should fit on your 20" tank.  I have an 18 - 24" fixture on my 10 gallon that is 20" long, and it is sitting on the rim, using the metal legs that are supplied.  I don't have a glass lid on my tank, it is open top.

brotherluv

...turns out the legs........are........retractable......................... :-\

bizfromqc

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 07:07:03 PM
...turns out the legs........are........retractable......................... :-\

;D Thanks for the laugh buddy, I needed that.

Joking aside, I've got two of these bad boys (ML DB LED), one on my 20G and one of my 25G but they're 24-36". The 20G is a perfect fit at 24" and the 25G has about 2.5" extended on each side to make up the 30" (no real dark spots) . I just love these fixtures, but I think I've said that a couple of times before  ;)

brotherluv

I love the tank soooo much that i just ordered some more eco complete and a 24-36' LED from MOPS with some driftwood...yikes...now I'm addicted to saltwater and planted tanks...this is gonna get crazy unless I stop with this one.

brotherluv

I just wanted to say thank you to every one who offered advice and encouragement !  the tank has inspired me to see what I can do with my 25g tank.  its going to look even better!

sas

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 09:06:22 PM
I love the tank soooo much that i just ordered some more eco complete and a 24-36' LED from MOPS with some driftwood...yikes...now I'm addicted to saltwater and planted tanks...this is gonna get crazy unless I stop with this one.

Haha awesome, you certainly have the room for this MTS :).