New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ridiculously easy maintenance low tech tank?

Started by brotherluv, February 08, 2012, 11:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurch1

Usually about 1.5 of soil and the same again of gravel

exv152

Quote from: brotherluv on February 08, 2012, 11:11:19 PM
After seeing some of the amazing planted tanks on this forum I've decided to perhaps try my hand at it again. My first attempt failed miserably!... Can someone help point me in the right direction?

Excellent article about doing a low tech setup.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

brotherluv

I just ordered the double bright LEDS from MOPS...so much for the $50 budget lol. I got the fert tabs from Big Als...they didn't have an oto cat...I suppose I need some deeper substrate now some plants then I'm ready to go?

brotherluv

Where can I find the organic miracle grow porting mix and potting clay?

touchofsky

I know you mentioned you have a gravel substrate in the tank now.  How long has it been in there and how coarse is it?

brotherluv

It's been in there 6 months and the black stuff is 1mm white stuff is 2mm....

touchofsky

So, is the black as fine as sand, and the white a very small gravel?  The reason I am asking, is that if you are planning a low light tank, with undemanding plants, the substrate that you have may be adequate, if you supplement it with root tabs.  I have pool filter sand in two of my tanks, with root tabs, and the plants are growing very well.

brotherluv

Sounds like I'm ready to start adding plants as soon as the leds arrive...thanks.

touchofsky

How deep is the layer of gravel in the tank now?

brotherluv

Approximately 1 inch deep...is that enough you think?

brotherluv

To answer your earlier question yes it is as fine as sand.

touchofsky

It should be deeper than that for a planted tank.  I usually have a couple of inches in the front, and 3 inches in the back, approximately. 

brotherluv

I just ordered a bag of Eco complete from MOPS as well as a big jug of flourish Excel...the double bright LEDS are already on their way...it seems like everything is ready to go except the plants.  I'm gonna grab some more driftwood tomorrow from big als...exciting times!

touchofsky

Sounds great!  What plants are you planning on?

brotherluv

Going to have to see what I can get my hands on...sas has offered to share sone that she has which is exceptionally generous!  I like the one la niche has in the middle of their tank under the same leds I'm getting! I'm going to,have to research more options.  :) 

sas

Yep plants are still here :).
If............. you have patience ;),which I never had, the giant auction is just around the corner,
and there will be lots of great plants available.
Cheers

bizfromqc

Patience, that's what' this hobby is all about.

Unfortunately, I'm still working on that  ::)

MOPS is great, I've ordered there twice and got the stuff right to my door in 24 hours, and that was using the regular shipping option too...

touchofsky

I have been ordering from MOPS for years now, and their service has always been top-notch.

exv152

I've ordered from MOPS too and have never had any issues, and good prices.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g