New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ridiculously easy maintenance low tech tank?

Started by brotherluv, February 08, 2012, 11:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consigliere

Too bad you didn't read the post on DIY glutaraldehyde.  Could've saved yourself some money compared to flourish excel.  Maybe your next order....good luck with the tank.

brotherluv

I got 2L of flourish excel for less than $35.  Although I'm all about saving money my time is worth a lot to me since I am always working...

Consigliere

You can get the equivalent of 8L for $30 shipped if you use a product like metricide.

brotherluv

Ha. As soon as I finished posting my last comments I noticed your thread :o...I wish I would have noticed it sooner and am going to remember it when I run out of flourish.  I'm guessing 2L will last me quite sone time considering its only a 10g tank...

brotherluv

I got the eco complete today.  now I need some plants and I'm finished...

brotherluv

Ive now got my plants and am wondering How much excel to dose per day or week. .. What is the best schedule?

charlie

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 10:09:47 AM
Ive now got my plants and am wondering How much excel to dose per day or week. .. What is the best schedule?
I think Seachem suggest 5 ml/capful per 50 gallon daily.
Probably a good start for your set up - 1 capful 2-3 X a week & see how it works.
Regards

brotherluv

Thanks for the quick reply Charlie!  and thanks sas for the amazing plants!  the tank looks awesome  I Love this hobby!  ;D 8) ;D 8)

bettabreeder

Pictures!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sas

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 10:43:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Charlie!  and thanks sas for the amazing plants!  the tank looks awesome  I Love this hobby!  ;D 8) ;D 8)

Your very welcome :)

A thought on Excel and vals do they not melt when dosing with Excel?

bizfromqc

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 10:43:44 AM

Enough already, post some pics  :P

brotherluv

Horrible pics but the digital camera is 12 years old...any suggestions on  placement of my plants is welcome!!

Thanks

brotherluv

if the excel is going to kill a plant should I move it or not dose??

bizfromqc

Hooray for pictures. Nice looking tank.
I like the layout the way it is now. I'd definitely add a background to the tank though  :)

As for the Vals, mine melted (as you probably read in another thread) when I started the recommended Excel dosing. It was suggested to me to start easy with the Excel and gradually increase to the recommended dosing.

brotherluv

bizfromqc

Quote from: brotherluv on February 23, 2012, 04:10:33 PM
like a black backdrop??

8)

I'm personally a big fan of the black background. It's on all my tanks.
Take a look at the Betta Palace,  Errol used white vinyl and it's looking pretty neat.

bettabreeder

I made my backgrounds out of cardboard and blue spray paint and they look good in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brotherluv

I think I'm going to get a piece of bristol board...I'lltry black to start and see how it looks :)

brotherluv

oh yeah why do they advertise the  marineland LED units as being 18-24" but it wont mount on my 20" tank?  Am I supposed to have a glass top and just let it sit on top...?  I'm still using my old light...I thought the mounts would be retractable and able to fit properly on a tank between 18-24"... ::)

touchofsky

It should fit on your 20" tank.  I have an 18 - 24" fixture on my 10 gallon that is 20" long, and it is sitting on the rim, using the metal legs that are supplied.  I don't have a glass lid on my tank, it is open top.