New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Eric's starfire 25 gal rimless

Started by exv152, February 11, 2012, 07:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchofsky

exv152

Couple of more update photos...this is 14 days into the setup. As you can see I've run into a bit of algae.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on February 29, 2012, 09:17:31 PM
Couple of more update photos...this is 14 days into the setup. As you can see I've run into a bit of algae.

Looking nice! I keep trying to click on your picture for a closer view but alas i'm always let down haha. High Res pics next time! I want to ZOOM in!  ;)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

fischkopp

A very clean setup! I wish I had space for a rimless starphire tank!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Toss

Hi Eric,

Is your $2 check valve made from plastic? I had mine melt after some time due to CO2. Yours could be a different type but just keep checking it every now and then.

Enrico
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

charlie

looking fantastic, great job Eric.
Errol

bizfromqc

Great looking stuff, growing in nicely. Keep it up.

Peekay

Looking nice! I keep trying to click on your picture for a closer view but alas i'm always let down haha. High Res pics next time! I want to ZOOM in!  ;)

What he said!  I don't believe in any algae I can't see.. maybe that was your idea?  ;) 
Looking great!

touchofsky

exv152

Quote from: Toss on March 01, 2012, 07:11:25 AM
Hi Eric,
Is your $2 check valve made from plastic? I had mine melt after some time due to CO2. Yours could be a different type but just keep checking it every now and then.
Enrico

Thanks guys. Enrico; yes, it's a cheap plastic $2 valve, but I've got a top-notch brass check valve on its way in the mail as we speak.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Where did you find the brass valve?

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sas

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Regarding the check valve - i have used excluvisley the clippard brass & Red sea plastic for the last 6 yrs or so to date i had one failure & that was the clippard brass valve, the red sea plastic valve is a work horse.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on March 01, 2012, 11:17:37 AM
Regarding the check valve - i have used excluvisley the clippard brass & Red sea plastic for the last 6 yrs or so to date i had one failure & that was the clippard brass valve, the red sea plastic valve is a work horse.
Errol

This is very true. The jury is out on the use of plastic vs brass, certainly the comments you'll find on the internet are mixed. I'm not promoting the use of brass over plastic for sure. But I wonder if the use of a DIY CO2 yeast system will degrade the plastic valve sooner than the brass or vice versa. Any thoughts Errol? Especially considering the residue that is produced with the typical diy system.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 01, 2012, 11:27:18 AM
This is very true. The jury is out on the use of plastic vs brass, certainly the comments you'll find on the internet are mixed. I'm not promoting the use of brass over plastic for sure. But I wonder if the use of a DIY CO2 yeast system will degrade the plastic valve sooner than the brass or vice versa. Any thoughts Errol? Especially considering the residue that is produced with the typical diy system.
Hi Eric,when i was doing the sugar & yeast thing my first check valve was the hagen check valve the residue killed it in 3 months, then BigDaddy/ a member, told me about the Red Sea
http://www.bigalspets.ca/Red-Sea-Check-Valve/dp/B0061SIH00
Never had one fail then or to this day with pressurized & Diy.
I also use the clippards but cost is significantly higher.
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=MCV-1BB

exv152

Quote from: charlie on March 01, 2012, 11:35:11 AM
Hi Eric,when i was doing the sugar & yeast thing my first check valve was the hagen check valve the residue killed it in 3 months, then BigDaddy/ a member, told me about the Red Sea http://www.bigalspets.ca/Red-Sea-Check-Valve/dp/B0061SIH00 Never had one fail then or to this day with pressurized & Diy. I also use the clippards but cost is significantly higher. http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=MCV-1BB

I've had the same experience with the diy thing, it just wrecks everything (check valves, plastic in general, filters etc). Maybe the pressurized co2 system won't be as rough on the cheaper valves than the diy is. But just to be sure, I went with the brass. Next time I'm at the LFS I'll pick up a red sea valve or two, it never hurts to have extras kickin' round.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 01, 2012, 11:52:09 AM
I've had the same experience with the diy thing, it just wrecks everything (check valves, plastic in general, filters etc). Maybe the pressurized co2 system won't be as rough on the cheaper valves than the diy is. But just to be sure, I went with the brass. Next time I'm at the LFS I'll pick up a red sea valve or two, it never hurts to have extras kickin' round.
The LFS don`t stock it any longer, Big Al can order it in or you go direct on line.
Errol