New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The epic rimless starphire project

Started by fischkopp, March 06, 2012, 01:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

What shall I say. Unexpectedly I won the the highest bid on the 48 gallon starphire tank that many of you will remember from our January meeting. I can't say that I am unhappy about it. The tank is very nice. It's just that I haven't planned for it at all!

So expect this build to come along very slowly, in an ˈɛpɪk way, while I am trying to figure out where and how to set it up. Mind you that there are other other projects in the making that I should probably finish before getting fully started with this. Well, don't worry, my track record on doing things on by one isn't the best ... :)

We actually have already an idea and place in mind. It's most likely going to be a shrimp tank, maybe tetras, very much Iwagumi like, probably not using as many rocks as the AI did, most likely it will be carpeting and low-grow plants only, trying to set a limit on plant species as well. But we all know how that usually goes. Either way, that ADA dirt should keep thing uncomplicated for a while. I am quite eager to try it out!

Rimless. That tank will be kept open. Need to find a clean looking cabinet, white most likely. Background is going to be white, white everything, but the tank. The tank may go to the opposite wall of the discus tank, which is all dark, so that may give some good contrast.

CO2. Is all set. A dual rig is feeding one planted tank at the moment, I can just take one outlet and connect it to the new tank. Maybe get a new Fluval dispenser, like the one I got.

Light. I am undecided what to do about that. I probably won't use the fixture I got with the setup. I am sure it works just fine, but it's black and won't fit with the theme. Yes, you may call me fuzzy. :) I am thinking about metal halides, but I haven been able to find anything that looks nice enough. LED is going to be too costly. Will see ...

Filtration. I have a 2215 that I could use. Maybe add that fluidized sandbed I got at the auction as well. That should be more than sufficient.

Heater. There won't be one. I find them unnecessary in planted tanks. Room temperature works fine.

Maybe I add a DIY controller if I ever get around to build one. Yes, too many projects, but that's half the fun!

Well, stay tuned!
It's going to be an interesting year ...

;D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Brine

I can't wait to see this one progress  ;D

Peekay

Congrats on getting that tank!   :)

Have fun with the build. 

touchofsky

Congratulations on your win.  It will be gorgeous when it is all set up  :)

charlie

subscribed :)
With Robert`s dedication,aquscaping vision & patience + the kit =stunning
Errol

exv152

I like the idea of MH, have you considered a pendant fixture?  I think that would look good on the rimless, I especially like the way pendants allow a full view of the top of the tank, adds a nice dimension to rimless tanks.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Looking forward to the development of this thread!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bizfromqc

It'll be nice to follow this along  :)

For the fixture, I haven't taken a close look at the fixture that was in the kit but if it's all metal, maybe you can spray paint it white to go with your theme? A nice high quality paint would do a fine job and it would look sweet suspended on top of the rimless.

My 2 cents.

fischkopp

Thanks everyone. That's a lot of praise in advance, let's hope I can satisfy the high exceptions. :)

Quote from: exv152 on March 06, 2012, 10:02:39 AM
I like the idea of MH, have you considered a pendant fixture?   

I wouldn't mind it. Problem is that I don't like the look of any pendant I have seen so far, all of them were rather big and bulky and I think that this may distract from the tank. Maybe I have to retrofit something ...

Quote from: bizfromqc on March 06, 2012, 11:34:51 AM
For the fixture, I haven't taken a close look at the fixture that was in the kit but if it's all metal, maybe you can spray paint it white to go with your theme?

Yea, it looks like metal. Thought about painting as well. It's certainly an option. There is the concern to pick the right paint that can tolerate the heat. And maybe it's just time to try something new, I have been using T5HO for the past five years now.
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

jetstream

Quote from: fischkopp on March 06, 2012, 11:47:08 PM

Yea, it looks like metal. Thought about painting as well. It's certainly an option. There is the concern to pick the right paint that can tolerate the heat. And maybe it's just time to try something new, I have been using T5HO for the past five years now.

How about white powder coat? Most likely will be quite pricey to spray a single unit!  ;)

exv152

Quote from: fischkopp on March 06, 2012, 11:47:08 PMI wouldn't mind it. Problem is that I don't like the look of any pendant I have seen so far, all of them were rather big and bulky and I think that this may distract from the tank. Maybe I have to retrofit something ...

If money's not an object, there's the quebec ada dealer just a 3 hour drive from ottawa, and they sell stylish amano pendant lights...http://adaquebec.blogspot.com/p/eclairage.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: jetstream on March 07, 2012, 01:00:23 AM
How about white powder coat? Most likely will be quite pricey to spray a single unit!  ;)
If you want to go the route of powder coat, talk to me off line ;)Alternativelyy, Tremcald makes high heat enamel & there is some others @CDN Tire for engine manifolds etc.
The manf. of those lights also have hanging kits available.
Errol

fischkopp

Power coating, ehh. Not a bad idea, but I don't think I want to go that far. ;)

Quote from: exv152 on March 07, 2012, 07:27:44 AM
If money's not an object, there's the quebec ada dealer just a 3 hour drive from ottawa, and they sell stylish amano pendant lights...http://adaquebec.blogspot.com/p/eclairage.html

Do you have any idea what this fixture sells for? It might be an option. Looks big on the picture, but the dimensions aren't all that bad.
my fish suck

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on March 07, 2012, 09:00:48 AM
Power coating, ehh. Not a bad idea, but I don't think I want to go that far. ;)

Do you have any idea what this fixture sells for? It might be an option. Looks big on the picture, but the dimensions aren't all that bad.
these are similar & i`ll guess cheaper
http://www.aquainspiration.com/productdetail.asp?PIN=LS&PNAME=AI&PSIZE=SL&PTYPE=Lights

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on March 07, 2012, 09:07:13 AM
these are similar & i`ll guess cheaper
http://www.aquainspiration.com/productdetail.asp?PIN=LS&PNAME=AI&PSIZE=SL&PTYPE=Lights

Those are some sweet looking lights (the ADA ones) but holy light fixture Batman, it ain't cheap  :o

fischkopp

Good find. To my eye, both lamps look identical. Wonder if it is the same manufacturer, or a knock-off. Certainly this might be the better option, might need to pick up a few things from AI anyway.
my fish suck

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on March 07, 2012, 10:24:05 AM
Good find. To my eye, both lamps look identical. Wonder if it is the same manufacturer, or a knock-off. Certainly this might be the better option, might need to pick up a few things from AI anyway.

Well i knew of them but did not post it since i think they are more watts that your stated requirement  ;).
Check their gallery out , they are some pics of them over tanks.
Errol

fischkopp

They do have a nice store now, really should make some time and go there. I think I see the light there above the same size tank. It isn't huge, but it isn't small either. Will see. Good thing is that they seem to get some good result with a single light.

Yeah, I am looking into lower wattage ones because I hope they might be smaller. I would be using 2+ lights then, which may also spread the light more evenly across the tank.
my fish suck

exv152

Quote from: fischkopp on March 07, 2012, 01:21:27 PMThey do have a nice store now, really should make some time and go there. I think I see the light there above the same size tank. It isn't huge, but it isn't small either. Will see. Good thing is that they seem to get some good result with a single light.

Yeah, I am looking into lower wattage ones because I hope they might be smaller. I would be using 2+ lights then, which may also spread the light more evenly across the tank.

The ADA lights are not the same as the AI lights, the AI ones are a chinese knock-off product but they still come at a premium as you can see. The good thing is they're both MH like you stated you were looking for. Or you can do a DIY lamp that looks like the ADA sytle fixture. Maybe even go with some T5s or leds. Check this thread out, ironically the guy did his own light and also used it for a 48g tank. That's if you like DIY jobs.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/128706-my-diy-36-led-ada-fixture.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Thanks for the idea, it's a good build. LED is great, but not cheap either. Not sure I want to do it for this setup. [teaser] I do love it on that other tank though. [/teaser]
my fish suck