New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 25 Gal apisto tank

Started by Lurch1, March 26, 2012, 07:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurch1

My 15 gal sprung a leak...... So I am going to upgrade to a tank with same footprint that way I can use my glass top and light. I would like some input on tank mates for the apisto pair that I have yet to purchase. I figured I would take advantage of the added height. It will be heavily planted when the plants grow in with a couple rocks and DW. Water is pH 6.5 and a kH and gH of 4-6.

Equipment
25 Gal Tall
Eheim 2215
65w CF Lighting 10,000k
15w T8 6500k
Eheim Jager 200w Heater

Substrate
Organic Miracle Grow Potting Soil
Crushed Granite
Rusty Nails

Decorations
Granite rocks
Drift wood

Fauna
1 pair double red agassizi apistos
10 Neon Tetras
2 Marble Hatchetfish
5 Elegant Corydoras
5 BN Pleco Juvies
1 Male BN Pleco

Red Ramshorn Snails
MTS

Flora
Amazon Swords
Alternanthera reineckii
Crypts
Jungle Val
Dwarf Sag
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Repens
Anubias Nana
Heteranthera Zosterfolia
Penny Wort
Java Fern
Java Moss

exv152

Any of the SA tetras or characins would work well. Some of my favourites are cardinals, rummynose, lemons, black phantoms and bleeding hearts. Maybe two shoals of contrasting colours like cardinals and phantoms etc.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bizfromqc

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 26, 2012, 07:16:00 PM
My 15 gal sprung a leak...... So I am going to upgrade to a tank with same footprint that way I can use my glass top and light. I would like some input on tank mates for the apisto pair that I have yet to purchase. I figured I would take advantage of the added height. It will be heavily planted when the plants grow in with a couple rocks and DW. Water is pH 6.5 and a kH and gH of 4-6.

So far:
1 apisto pair (hopefully agassizi, but not looking so good)
BN pleco

What else (preferably from SA) would look good?

Sorry about the leak, hope you caught it in time to avoid a major mess... A blessing in disguise though, you now have a bigger/taller tank  ;)

IIRC, the 25G tall is 20in high so that leaves quite a bit of room in the mid and top section of your tank considering your apistos will mostly hang out near the bottom of it.

You could look into a small schooling specie like neons, cardinals or pencilfish for a splash of color in the tank. They would typically hang out near the top of the tank, not bother your apistos and serve as dithers as well (if you end up getting a shyer type of apisto).

Personally (also have a 25G but the long version, 30x12x16) I went with Neons and Corys. The neons stay out of the apistos way but the corys do occupy some of the same space but get chased away when they get too close or annoying. They're not aggressive and really interesting fish.

But really it comes down to what you like and what your goal is with the tank (display, breeding, etc...). Just make sure to keep an eye on compatibility and bioload. Another thing to consider is you now have a taller tank with the same light, make sure your plants get enough of it. Did you up your filtration or keep the same as you had on the 15G?

Good luck with the new setup, keep us posted!

Eric

Lurch1

I like the idea of 2 contrasting shoals of fish. Would 5 or 6 in each shoal be over kill? I will have to look and see what BA has and see what would look nice. I was reading that corys need to me in a group of at least six, is that written in stone? I wouldn't mind 2 or 3  but 6 would be too much I think.

sas

Corydoras are definitely happier in larger numbers.
A lot of people still keep them in smaller numbers, and they survive
just fine.
I have a group of 20 adolfois and they are the happiest bunch I've ever seen,
quite often sleeping one on top of the other. When you have a nice bunch
they make quite the show in a tank.
So I would personally get as many as your stocking levels would
support.

bizfromqc

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 27, 2012, 08:13:35 AM
I like the idea of 2 contrasting shoals of fish. Would 5 or 6 in each shoal be over kill? I will have to look and see what BA has and see what would look nice. I was reading that corys need to me in a group of at least six, is that written in stone? I wouldn't mind 2 or 3  but 6 would be too much I think.

I went from 5 to 9 C. paleatus in my 25G and they seem a lot happier. They always hang out in group swimming together or just fooling around (bunch of goofs). I would get at least 6 in that size tank but probably more depending on which ones you get (adult size).

Another option would be to get some of the pygmy varieties and get a lot more of them, that would make for an interesting group.

Eric

Lurch1

Quote from: bizfromqc on March 27, 2012, 08:43:11 AM

Another option would be to get some of the pygmy varieties and get a lot more of them, that would make for an interesting group.

Eric

Thats an idea. I didn't know there were pygmy corys. I will investigate.

charlie

Both Sas & bizfromqc have offered sound advice, the Pygmy varieties would give you the ability for larger qty & keep the bio load down, same principal applies to smaller tetra & other smaller shoaling fish.
Errol

Lurch1

Yeah, I agree. I was just reading up on them and they look really neat. Hopefully they aren't to hard to get ahold of. Would 8 or so be a good number?

bizfromqc

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 27, 2012, 10:15:41 AM
Yeah, I agree. I was just reading up on them and they look really neat. Hopefully they aren't to hard to get ahold of. Would 8 or so be a good number?

You mentioned in another thread that you had a AC HOB filter on the 15G, are you still using that for the 25G and if so, which one specifically?

Lurch1

I took the AC 50 off my rift tank and added another AC 40 as well to clear up the murky water. After all is said and done I will just have the AC 50. Here are the progress pics.

exv152

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 27, 2012, 08:13:35 AM

Cories prefer the companionship of a group of their own kind, but I've kept smaller groups (2-3) in smaller tanks with no issues. Plus they're great at cleaning the bottom of the tank of uneaten food - solid choice.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

exv152

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 27, 2012, 06:18:14 PM
What about hatchet fish?

Marble hatchets are really nice, but they tend to be jumpers and you need some kind of cover on the tank, and keep a min of six.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

Well, how about this for a stock list:
10 Cardinals
6 Hatchets
10 pygmy corys
2 apistos
2 BN plecos
Snails.....

Here is another pic now thats its cleared up.

exv152

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 28, 2012, 10:36:02 AM
Well, how about this for a stock list:
10 Cardinals
6 Hatchets
10 pygmy corys
2 apistos
2 BN plecos
Snails.....

Here is another pic now thats its cleared up.

I think it would look great. Let me know if you find pygmy cories, I've noticed they can be hard to find locally. I wouldn't mind getting some for myself.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

Quote from: exv152 on March 28, 2012, 04:20:02 PM
I think it would look great. Let me know if you find pygmy cories, I've noticed they can be hard to find locally. I wouldn't mind getting some for myself.

I will be going to BA today I will keep you informed.

The agassizi's are going to be available so I guess cockatoos. How many can I put in with the above stocking list?

bizfromqc

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 30, 2012, 10:05:44 AM
I will be going to BA today I will keep you informed.

The agassizi's are going to be available so I guess cockatoos. How many can I put in with the above stocking list?

No more than 2, a male and a female.

Lurch1

bizfromqc

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 30, 2012, 10:20:45 AM
Great, thanks.

I replied to your other thread about picking males/females.

2 once a pair is established but a couple more if you are unsure about sex and pairing. You will have to remove the other ones after they paired up though.