New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10 gln planted shrimp tank

Started by charlie, April 19, 2012, 12:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

A few weeks ago i started a 5 Gallon waterhome tank with new Fluval shrimp stratum, it was stocked with some yellow shrimp i picked up from Montreal on Good Friday.
Last weekend i was at the DRAS event in Ajax ( great event) & Aquainspiration my favorite planted tank store was one of the vendors, they had this 10 Gallon starfire cube that just kept calling me , needless to say about 1 hour before they started packing up i give in to the call & purchased it to replace my 5 Gallon shrimp tank. Updates to follow.
Errol

charlie

I have the shortest downsizing period in the club  :P
I`m admitting it before PM reminds me  ;)
Errol

exv152

I hope my 7g nano cube didn't put a bug in your ear...
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

Quote from: charlie on April 19, 2012, 12:50:39 PM
I have the shortest downsizing period in the club  :P
I`m admitting it before PM reminds me  ;)
Errol
LOL I was just about to.   ;)

touchofsky

I look forward to seeing it.  Downsizing is highly overrated  ;D

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 19, 2012, 01:16:08 PM
I hope my 7g nano cube didn't put a bug in your ear...
;)
Not at all the 5 gallon was up & the space it sat in had a bit more real estate   ;)

charlie

Here is the 5 gallon this build will be replacing, poor 5 gallon will not have a long life  :D

exv152

Hope you picked up some of that really nice driftwood from the DRAS auction for $10.  That would look great with this little setup. I look forward to seeing it up and running.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 19, 2012, 02:10:11 PM
Hope you picked up some of that really nice driftwood from the DRAS auction for $10.  That would look great with this little setup. I look forward to seeing it up and running.
No Drift wood in this tank  ;)
The following will be the set up
Tank - 10 Gallon Starfire cube -40cm X 30cm X 30cm (16"x12"x12")
Back ground- Black Vinyl
Substrate - Netlea shrimp substrate - went dutch on a bag with Rah -Thanks Rah
Hardscape - Dragon stone/Ohko Stone
Heater - Hydor in line
Filter - Eheim canister
Lighting - 1x24 watt T5 HO
CO2 via Pressurized injection
Plants- Glosso & Bylxa Japonica
Livestock - Yellow shrimp & possibly some Black Crystal shrimp,Amano shrimp, pygmy cories,Juvie Bushnose, Otto cat.
That`s the plan for now .
Errol

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 19, 2012, 03:15:52 PM
Are you going iwagumi style?
I guess you can say so  :)
Since it`s a small tank i do not want to over power it with too much.
Errol

charlie

The tank is all set up & running
added some anubias to the Blyxa & Glosso, i`m still not copletly sold on the Blyxa but will do for now
stocked with 15 yellow shrimp & 8 pygmy cories
will add 2 otto cats ,2 Juvie BN pleco & some Amano shrimp & possibly some Crystal black shrimp later
here are some pics.
Errol

exv152

Wow that was fast, I can't believe the tank's up and running, nice job. I like the choice of low growing plants.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

You don't waste any time!  Looking good, but I'm a little spoiled by the high standard of your tanks, and I think you're going to tweak this again before it's perfect.  Right?   ;)  

I'd love to see a picture of the yellow shrimp... I haven't seen those before.  

charlie

@Eric & Brenda, thanks.
Yes i`m not one for having a tank sitting around ;D, i guess that qualifies me as a junkie  ;D got to have my fix
The tank is my night cap as it`s in my room so i get a night fix until i rise to see the others :).
I already have some ideas of plants i want to switch if i can find some, they are Echinodorus tenellus "micro"
& Anubias Nana"Petite[/b]", so anyone has some or know where i can get some please do spill the beans, so yes tweaking is in the immediate future.
Brenda, the little yellow beauties are swimming around frantic ,enjoying the new home, as soon as i get the opportunity i`ll try & get a picture, looks like i have some berried ones.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on April 21, 2012, 08:50:38 PM
@Eric & Brenda, thanks.
Yes i`m not one for having a tank sitting around ;D, i guess that qualifies me as a junkie  ;D got to have my fix
The tank is my night cap as it`s in my room so i get a night fix until i rise to see the others :).
I already have some ideas of plants i want to switch if i can find some, they are Echinodorus tenellus "micro"
& Anubias Nana"Petite[/b]", so anyone has some or know where i can get some please do spill the beans, so yes tweaking is in the immediate future.
Brenda, the little yellow beauties are swimming around frantic ,enjoying the new home, as soon as i get the opportunity i`ll try & get a picture, looks like i have some berried ones.
Errol

La Niche just got a shipment of anubias nana on Friday...see sponsor section. I agree with the echinodorus tenellus, love the look. How's the HC you just got recently?  And thanks again for the glosso it's been growing well, I'll post a pic soon.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Lol.. damn! Couldn't wait to start eh?! I'm just waiting to move next week then i'll get things up and running! I read that the substrate leeches out ammonia (http://www.shrimptank.ca/2011/05/netlea-shrimps-soil-produce-ammonia-at-the-begging/) for the first little while so keep an eye out for that eh Errol. I can't believe you already got that eheim and Everything set up! Haha.. Thats what makes you YOU. Nice job (as expected)! As Brenda said, def looking foward to the progress of this tank! I wish i had gotten more Ohko stones!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on April 21, 2012, 11:26:50 PM
Lol.. damn! Couldn't wait to start eh?! I'm just waiting to move next week then i'll get things up and running! I read that the substrate leeches out ammonia (http://www.shrimptank.ca/2011/05/netlea-shrimps-soil-produce-ammonia-at-the-begging/) for the first little while so keep an eye out for that eh Errol. I can't believe you already got that eheim and Everything set up! Haha.. Thats what makes you YOU. Nice job (as expected)! As Brenda said, def looking foward to the progress of this tank! I wish i had gotten more Ohko stones!

Quote from: exv152 on April 21, 2012, 10:47:01 PM
La Niche just got a shipment of anubias nana on Friday...see sponsor section. I agree with the echinodorus tenellus, love the look. How's the HC you just got recently?  And thanks again for the glosso it's been growing well, I'll post a pic soon.
Thanks Rah, yea i know of the ammonia leaching, i have an ammonia monitor on the tank , + the bacteria filled media i robbed from my other canisters & plants should soak it all up.
Yes Eric i saw the nana but it`s not the Petite .
The HC is slowly settling in to it`s submersed farm.
Thanks Errol

bizfromqc

As usual, a fine looking tank my friend.
Let me know if you do get your hands on some E. tennelus "micro". I'd like to get some as well.

Eric

charlie

Thanks Eric, will do if i find any.
Here a few pics of the Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Yellow)/yellow shrimp
Errol