New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

10 gln planted shrimp tank

Started by charlie, April 19, 2012, 12:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Did some tweaking, as i was not totally happy with the Blyxa & rock work, i took some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis  from the emersed farm ;) & swapped it with the blyxa, would appreciate some feed back.
Errol

Fishnut

Very cute!  As a suggestion, it needs something in there that looks soft.  Everything in there has a very defined edge.  What if you were to tuck one of those fluffy looking stem plants behind the rock with the anubias as a contrast?

Lol...can you tell I'm not up on my plants?!

bizfromqc

Looks great Errol (as usual).

I don't know if I like this scape better or the first version you had, it'll be easier to see when it grows in.

Did you try using some one of the stones vertically, a la "stonehenge", could be interesting. Or maybe one bigger rock instead of two similarly sized "principal" rocks?

But really, what do I know  ;)

That starfire glass looks sweet, I want one  :P

pm

The hardscape seems a little low.  The plants in front may block the rocks too much when they grow in.  As Eric said, perhaps making them more vertical may help.

I had some nice low rocks in my 10 gal shrimp tank (that reminds me I should post a pic of that soon), but just about every plant I put in front of them (except HC) blocked the hardscape too much.  To compensate for this I now have rocks that are probably too big in the tank, but at least they are not obstructed from view.

Just my 2 cents.

charlie

Thanks guys, comments noted, this hobby is fun!
Sylvie don`tworryl about being on top with plants i still don`t know the names of many, i think the one you are referring to is the one you saw in the other tank?
Errol

daworldisblack

I like the rocks and their various sizes, but the layout looks a little sparse - like you're trying to spread the rocks out to cover ground? Perhaps more rocks would be great or other elements of hardscape like a taller driftwood with branches that cover more of the upper regions of the tank? Or as the others suggested, one taller principal rock. Since its got a smaller foot print, might even get away with moving the hardscape to one of the back corners only and have the substrate slope down from that corner and then placing the rocks cascading style. So you have a slope going from left to right or vice versa.

I have the same issues with my hardscape options. I need a trip to MTL or AI again soon to procure some more goods!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

I would suggest removing the stone on the left and work with the configuration of the three on the right, maybe repositioning them.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Looks like you can't keep your hands out of the water. :)

Here is my take on it: the new hard-scape is missing a focal point. Either assemble the rock in the center or move them towards a corner. Right now it just looks spreed out.

Get rid of the glosso! Go for HC. Because it's a tiny tank, that's asking for tiny plants. Like the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

Maybe try to find some Ranalisma rostrata? Not sure if anyone still has it. Didn't we have that discussion about E. tellenus, which is now described as Helanthium tenellum btw, a while back and came to the conclusion that it's all the same plant, but looking very different depending on the conditions it gets?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Keep it coming guys, the jury is still out  ;)
I have some other ideas in the oven that gels with some of the suggestions.
Thanks for your input, mucappreciateded.
Errol

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 23, 2012, 01:09:11 PM
Seeing the sharper edges of the ohko is nice too, like in this example:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/9/freshwater_album/iwagumi_large.jpg
Link does not open for me Eric.
Quote from: fischkopp on April 23, 2012, 12:23:08 PM
Looks like you can't keep your hands out of the water. :

You are 100% correct :)
QuoteHere is my take on it: the new hard-scape is missing a focal point. Either assemble the rock in the center or move them towards a corner. Right now it just looks spreed out.
That will be addressed
QuoteGet rid of the glosso! Go for HC. Because it's a tiny tank, that's asking for tiny plants. Like the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

Maybe try to find some Ranalisma rostrata? Not sure if anyone still has it. Didn't we have that discussion about E. tellenus, which is now described as Helanthium tenellum btw, a while back and came to the conclusion that it's all the same plant, but looking very different depending on the conditions it gets
Rostrata,tellenus,tenellum  ;)is in the mail  ;)
Glosso stays for now as it`s what i have, i will be replacing it when & if i can find the micro Glosso.
Errol

freshfishies

what's the little ipod/dial looking gadget on the right?

charlie

Quote from: freshfishies on April 23, 2012, 02:16:10 PM
what's the little ipod/dial looking gadget on the right?
Those are Seachem`s PH & Amonnia monitors.
Errol

freshfishies

Quote from: charlie on April 23, 2012, 02:33:46 PM
Those are Seachem`s PH & Amonnia monitors.
Errol

Cool! I need some of those! BA?

charlie

sylros

Quote from: charlie on April 22, 2012, 07:31:51 PM
Did some tweaking, as i was not totally happy with the Blyxa & rock work, i took some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis  from the emersed farm ;) & swapped it with the blyxa, would appreciate some feed back.
Errol

Are you sure you're not going too fast? What is it that you didn't like as it looked fine to me.  Is there not a need to get things settled first? Each tank is unique...I personally liked the other version as it looked more finished but then I'm not entirely sure what the end goal is...perhaps you have a picture for reference? This version looks flatter but the plants need to grow. I also see a CO2 diffuser, is CO2 really needed for this tank? Just asking as I still don't use it.

charlie

Quote from: sylros on April 23, 2012, 04:46:59 PM
Are you sure you're not going too fast? What is it that you didn't like as it looked fine to me.  Is there not a need to get things settled first? Each tank is unique...I personally liked the other version as it looked more finished but then I'm not entirely sure what the end goal is...perhaps you have a picture for reference? This version looks flatter but the plants need to grow. I also see a CO2 diffuser, is CO2 really needed for this tank? Just asking as I still don't use it.
I probably am, but that is nothing new with me  :)i have no picture my intention when i saw the tank was a minimalistic layout, since i`m not one for visualizing end lay out , i tend to set up & tweak from there, in this build i`m trying to work with what i have, so the only cost is the tank. The final lay out is going to be more like take 1 with a few more rocks
Does the tanks need CO2, all plants will benefit from carbon injection even Anubias in low light, does it need it? no
This tank is light by a 24 watt T5 HO with a gieseman reflector  to get the carpet effect, with that light intensity on such a low tank CO2 injection becomes a need as opposed to an option.
Errol

charlie

Well i had a small set back with this tank, the CO 2 regulator i bought from the classifieds here & was new malfunction & surged an abundance of gas to the tank as a result i lost all my yellow shrimp.
The good news is myself & some other members are in the  process of putting together some other rigs, so if you know of  or have any yellow shrimp , let me know  ;)

I have followed some of the suggestions with the plants & rock scape, will update pics as the tank progresses
Errol

pm

Quote from: charlie on April 30, 2012, 09:05:59 PM
Well i had a small set back with this tank, the CO 2 regulator i bought from the classifieds here & was new malfunction & surged an abundance of gas to the tank as a result i lost all my yellow shrimp.

Well that sucks, but at least you aren't alone.  I remember hearing that Amano himself gassed a whole tank, so you are in good company.

fischkopp

Sorry to hear. I hate losing fish or any critters that way. Well, lets see if we can find some replacements soon.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031