New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40 gallon long

Started by wrm130, June 16, 2013, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrm130

Finally got my stand reinforced, ground and painted...now the 40g can start!

Here's a few pics of a very basic setup.  It's gonna be heavily heavily planted, but I still have yet to decide with what and where.

Mike L

What are the dimensions on that tank.

wrm130

daworldisblack

Nice! What are you stocking for flora and fauna?!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

wrm130

For now I'm going to grow out my cacatuoides in it....then.....NO IDEA!!!

And I'm really having a tough time deciding on plants and placement.....I'll try to work on it today a bit.

wrm130

not lookin so hot,  lol like milky muddy water.  no ammonia showing though :)

ceci

I vote height in the back right corner and slope to the left front corner....

Viewing angles matter.....so that way it will make sense. Either that of do complete symmetrical, height in both back corners and then slope to the middle and front and maybe a nice arch in the middle.

Can't wait to see it :)

wrm130

i think ill go to petsmart and get some fancy plants

ceci

bahahaha

you're awesome :)

wrm130

as it stands today.

added some rotala and java fern...not sure why on the latter :p

oh and some parrots feather too.

angelcraze

Looking good, I am always jealous of your blyxia forest.  I think it would look nice with a red colored plant behind it, maybe something leafier, bigger like a red ozelot sword, or something a bit shorter like it.  I know you will get there, but you definitely need something around your dwarf ruffle sword (I think) in the middle, are you thinking baby tears?  Is that what I see?

I like your choice of substrate colour, it's nice and natural-looking.  I wonder what would grow ok right around the dwarf ruffle, so it doesn't stand out alone so much.  I find the swords to be big nutrient hogs and sometimes plants don't do so well right around them.   

My personal opinion, is, if you are going with java fern anyway, some african fern or weeping moss would look great draping over your cave.  I think java fern looks pretty in big bunches, I like the addition personally.  And I like the way your dwarf swords/sag grows so short, maybe I'll end up with more light in my tanks too  ;)

You have many options, can't wait to see how it all comes together.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

wrm130

angelcraze: thanks! :)

The left side of the tank has a Ruben in the corner as well as myriophyllum behind the blyxia.  You just can't see it cause the tank is still a bit foggy and the plants are still small.  They're there though!!! :)

And that 'darn' plateau in the middle...With such a long tank I wanted a few hills.....but I'm having a really really really tough time figuring out what to do with it.  The sword looks horribly out of place:(  I don't want to use baby tears(pain) and I'm so DONE with mosses lol

more suggestions please!!!

ps. no dwarf sag/swords in this tank.  its all stargrass.

sas

Looking good so far. For a suggestion what about a few crinnium?

magnosis

If I may suggest, I would move the fern to the left side so to create more of a valley type of lanscape. Despite removing stuff from the center, this shape would naturally bring you eyes to focus on the center part. It's usually better to have a single focal point in your tank, but it's all up to you :) The tank is still young and as your plants start to shape up and occupy more space, you'll have more and more options. Possibilities are infinite and this is what I love about designing aquascapes :)

angelcraze

Quote from: wrm130 on June 25, 2013, 09:24:27 AM
The left side of the tank has a Ruben in the corner as well as myriophyllum behind the blyxia.  You just can't see it......

The sword looks horribly out of place

Haha, a red ruben-perfect, just what I was thinking.......Personally I don't find your dwarf sword is so much horribly out of place, if you were to add just more plants around it, to give more height to the tank center, I don't think there's anything wrong with a slightly off center mountain, (as your focal point) if you like it too.  Like magnosis said, your plants are still young and will fill in and grow taller.  You have soooooooo many possibilities, it's just fun to talk about it and bounce around ideas  8)

And btw, the left side of the tanks is my fave  ;D   
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

wrm130

Added some spiralis, some unknown grass...larger than dwarf hairgrass but shorter than the tall hairgrass...its in the front and has sent some runners similar to the way vals do.  Anyone know what its called?  I'm also loving the myriophyllum proserpinacoides on the right.  Growth is quite quick and the tips turn a beautiful red when they break the surface.

All I need to find now is some p. helfiri and I'll be happy for a bit:)

Thanks for all the help!!!

Stocking so far was guppies to test, and now there's a juvenile cacatuoide (EAT THE GUPPIES!!!) and two furcata.

wrm130

fischkopp

It's growing in nicely. All you need is a background that won't distract you when watching the tank.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

wrm130

Agreed. I need to buy some black garbage bags

Stussi613

Quote from: wrm130 on September 19, 2013, 10:29:03 AM
Agreed. I need to buy some black garbage bags

or you could do Vinyl...I think there were some threads on how to do it on OVAS that looked pretty good.
I haz reef tanks.