New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

120G Planted Tank

Started by Shawn84, July 12, 2013, 09:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn84

Finally got around to posting this. I have put a 120G tank at my place of business. I will be turning it into a planted tank with schooling fish and maybe a few discuss. I will be injecting CO2 into the tank.

Tank Spec
120G Marineland Tank
Tek Lights 8 bulbs t5HO
10lbs CO2
Mix of black and red Eco-complete
1 EJET 3388 Filter
1 Eheim Filter
2 Powerhead
Manzanita Branches

Stocking
200-300 Cardinal Tetras
200-300 Rummynose
2-3 German Super Red BN

Plant
Dwarf Hair Grass
Big Leave Fern

I am still considering what plant and fish I will be stocking in the tank. I am open to suggestion on placement of wood and plant. Idea are welcome   :) :) :) :)

A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

exv152

After seeing it in person, I'm looking forward to your progress. Subscribed!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Shawn84

I put the vinyl background on and turn the tank around so here is the front view of the tank. I added a group of Twin Gold Bar Platy and a group of Red Cherry Barb to the tank to help kick start the cycling process also added some planted.

Still searching for idea on what type of plant to have in the tank. But in term of fishes I have decided to go with 1 type of schooling fish for a better impact. If you have idea on a good carpeting, foreground and background plant pls let me know.

A bunch a fishes.....

Cheebs

This is looking very cool, great job so far man!!

Shawn84

Here's an update on the tank. I added 8 Platinum Blue Angel and 2 Black Lace Angel. I have added dwarf hair grass, red tiger lotus, cryt. Still searching for different color of plant for the tank. The group of Cherry Barbs school pretty nice together. Algae already started as I'm getting a ton of natural sunlight into the tank in the afternoon as the blinds for the store have not been installed.  Also second filter and CO2 have not yet been install. I'm debating on a school of Asian Rummynose(last picture) to go together with my angel. What do you guy think?

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....

daworldisblack

Looking good! Some staurogyne repens would look neat there as well around the base of the driftwood perhaps? Plenty of Rotala and Ludwigias out there for colour as well. I really like the Angels! Are the asian rummies bigger ? Bigger would be better since angels can eat smaller tetras when they get bigger. Maybe a school of rainbows?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Shawn84

The staurogyne repens sound like a great idea. I'm trying to stay away from stem plant. But if i cant find any nice color then i will go with stem plant. As for the Asian rummynose they do get big enough that the angel will not touch on them.
A bunch a fishes.....

exv152

Tank is looking good! I like the platinum angels and the Asian rummynose. Other ground cover plants to consider are hydrocotyle, glossostigma, HC or riccia fluitans to name a few.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Good Job Shawn, will be even more impressive when everything grows in.
Keep us posted.
Regards

wrm130

I find it very flat....any reason why you kept everything so level?

Shawn84

Yes it is flat cause I prefer it that way. Once all the plant take off you wouldn't notice that is is flat. Just a little update still waiting on the blinds so right now algae is an issues. I pick up some clean up crew to help with that.

12 Nerite Snail
12 Horn Nerite Snail
20 Otocat

Should be plenty to help keep thing in checks. Also I took out all 3 big amazon sword. Added some different type of crypt that I pick up from Montreal a few week back. CO2 is up and second filter has been added. So now is a waiting game.
A bunch a fishes.....

angelcraze

Quote from: Shawn84 on August 17, 2013, 01:56:08 PM
......now algae is an issues. I pick up some clean up crew to help with that.

12 Nerite Snail
12 Horn Nerite Snail
20 Otocat

OMG. 20 ottos?  I guess they should help.  I actually have a diatom issue starting in my newly planted low light 120g, I picked up only 4 ottos, and 4 nerites, I wonder if they will do a good enough job?

I don't tend to scape my tanks flat, but it will be interesting to see how you plan to add height to such a high tank.  I see you have enough lighting, I always try to raise my tank substrate up to create interest and get the plants closer to the lights, simply cause I don't have as much as you-at all.

The amazon swords grow so tall, are the crypts you replaced them with going to grow as tall?

Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

Herstead

I really love how this is turning out. Is it bad I am thinking of more tanks when our main one still has no water in it?

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Shawn84

Make that 70 oto cat. They are doing a great job at keep the algae in check right now and so is the snail. The snail are laying eggs already.
Quote from: Herstead on August 17, 2013, 11:03:50 PM
I really love how this is turning out. Is it bad I am thinking of more tanks when our main one still has no water in it?

- Jonathan

Nothing wrong with that. Im waiting to see your end result. As i know how beauty it can be once done.

Quote from: angelcraze on August 17, 2013, 04:32:56 PM
OMG. 20 ottos?  I guess they should help.  I actually have a diatom issue starting in my newly planted low light 120g, I picked up only 4 ottos, and 4 nerites, I wonder if they will do a good enough job?

I don't tend to scape my tanks flat, but it will be interesting to see how you plan to add height to such a high tank.  I see you have enough lighting, I always try to raise my tank substrate up to create interest and get the plants closer to the lights, simply cause I don't have as much as you-at all.

The amazon swords grow so tall, are the crypts you replaced them with going to grow as tall?

Yes i don't have an issues with light cause its more than enough for the tank. Placement wise its a never ending change. The crypt i pick up do grow tall and i do have tall plant in the back. As the plant grow i will know if it should stay there or change it. Im still in the search for plant so more will be added as i find more suitable for my setup.
A bunch a fishes.....

wrm130

Shawn84

Yup. Some will be going into my parents tank which I am setting up for them. Even with 70 oto in the tank. It still don't look a lot at all.
A bunch a fishes.....

wrm130

So you got 70 Otto's to put into two brand new tanks...

Shawn84

Quote from: wrm130 on August 19, 2013, 08:50:33 PM

Nope my store tank is well cycled they are all in there right now. Will move them later once the other tank is finish. Plenty of food in the tank for them to eat.
A bunch a fishes.....

Stussi613

Quote from: wrm130 on August 19, 2013, 08:50:33 PM

Shawn isn't a rookie, he's probably got over 30 tanks running at home, and he set up most of the tanks at the Pet Expo last year where we didn't lose a single fish over the entire weekend.
I haz reef tanks.