New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40g breeder

Started by missavgp, April 17, 2014, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missavgp

I got the 40g breeder from the Giant Auction and decided that I would actually post in the planted tank build section this time.

I am using Miracle Gro Organic capped with play sand and have I have a large amazon sword, a some cryptocoryne wendtii green, some narrowleaf java fern and flame moss tied on the driftwood. I have some HC and heteranthera zosterifolia to add as well but it was late when I set this up so I'll add them in when I do a water change.

I have started fishless cycling so hopefully in a month or so I should be ready to add my sorority of bettas and a few others when I decide what I want in there.

I am using a diy filter and am going to add an Aquaclear 30 for additional filtration and circulation.

I don't know about co2 yet (undecided) and I have a Hagen GLO single 24" for lighting with the intent of adding a led fixture when my husbands builds it from the remaining leds from the previous light he put together for me.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

missavgp

Here's a couple pictures with the rest of the plants I wanted to add, the HC, heteranthera zosterifolia, and blyxa japonica. Now it's just waiting to for it to cycle.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tankmates for my female bettas, particularly schooling species?

Dxpert

Looking good - How many inches of dirt/sand did you put down? Can you tell me more about the filter?

missavgp

I put 1.5-2 inches of dirt and .75-1 inches of sand.

The filter I am using is a variation on a sponge filter. I am using a dollar store jar with a layer of gravel and then filter floss (some have also had a layer of pot scrubbies) with an airline and airstone in the center with a piece of clear tube in the middle for the bubbles to escape and create draw through the filter floss. Using the filter floss on top makes it shrimp and fry safe as I use them in my betta growouts and every tank has shrimp in it.
I have found they work very well and have lots of surface for BB to colonize.

Shawn84

Nice tank. In term of schooling fish you can put anything in the tank they should do fine with the betta. I have kept them with all sort of fish. Only aggression I see is during spawning but even then nothing to worry about. So it would come down to your choice of colour and size and type you want.

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

charlie

Thanks for sharing, should be awesome when it fills in. Is there moss on the tree like drift wood? If so it`s going to look awesome when the moss grows in.
At this point of the set up , I would suggest you move the drift wood more off center to the right.
Regards

ajm1961

Glad the 40g is working out for you! Had some cichlids in there for about a year before I moved them to a bigger tank. It's a custom-made tank that originally belonged to a former member of OVAS from Orleans.

Anyway, nice to see it is being used creatively - keep us posted!
:)
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

angelcraze

Nice tank!!  It's interesting that you tried dirt as a substrate, I know it will fill in nicely in no time!!! I like the twisty driftwood, it will be nice with some schooling fish to swim through the branches.  Can't wait to see what you decide on.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

missavgp

@ charlie: Thanks, I'm excited for it to fill in, and I do have the moss tied to the driftwood. I got some of the flame moss from the auction. And thanks for the advice! I was actually feeling like there was something a little off when I looked at the tank but I couldn't get a feel for what was bothering me. I'm going to move it later today.

@ajm1961: Thanks I am really happy with it. I actually love the dimensions of this tank and it fits my breeding and shelving setup better than a standard 40g breeder would.

@angelcraze: I actually have been using dirt for a while, in fact of my 12 tanks, 6 of them are dirt, 3 were my first set ups and I just haven't taken them down to dirt them, and the other three are bare as part of my spawning set up. And I've been following your other posts and wanted to add that the only tanks I have algae issues in are the ones without dirt. So far I haven't  had an algae issue in my dirt tanks and three of the six have been running for 7 months now.

missavgp

Does anyone have a recommendation either fixing a crack, or where to get replacement glass as the front panel of my 40g just developed a crack in the center from the top diagonally across to just above halfway down.  :(

missavgp

Here's a picture of the damage.

charlie

Quote from: missavgp on April 23, 2014, 01:53:02 PM
Here's a picture of the damage.
Oh no, so sorry to see this . They are a few capable members here  where repairs are concerned, hopefully someone will step forward to help.
The only 2 options I know off are  to (1) get the entire panel changed (2) place a new piece( full panel)  of glass on the inside of the cracked panel & silicone all corners, that would entail reversing that side of the tank to the rear.
Regards

missavgp

Thanks Errol. I have priced out a new panel and am going to go that route. Though now I will have to ask if there is anyone with experience doing this who would be willing to help me as I have not done it before.
If someone would I would be grateful and would be happy to compensate you for your time. Thanks in advance.

Stussi613

I've done it before, and unless you live really far I'd help you for free...But seeing as the tank has trim on it you're going to have to remove the trim from the top and, or, bottom beforehand to make the repair go easier. 
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on April 23, 2014, 05:25:01 PM
I've done it before, and unless you live really far I'd help you for free...But seeing as the tank has trim on it you're going to have to remove the trim from the top and, or, bottom beforehand to make the repair go easier. 
This has the making of a workshop hint hint

missavgp

lol it could be, though I would want to do it as soon as possible as I'd like to get the tank back up and running.

I am breaking it down now and I'm finding it kind of depressing to see it like this when I just set it up a week and a half ago.  :'(

Mike L

Curious what  your paying for the glass. Are you going full sheet. Also there is a caulking tool that can be purchased for about $5.00 that has a V-shaped head with flexible rubber edges that is used after application to smooth out the bead. I'm a contractor and use it all the time. Makes an absolutely perfect bead.
Mike

missavgp

I got a quote for $45 cut to my measurements with the sharp edges sanded down for easier handling from Ottawa Glass Limited. Where would I find that tool Mike?

Mike L

H.D. Lowe's C.T. Just go to the section with caulking. There is a caulk removal and application tool  plus they sometime sell as a set. Where do you live BTW

Stussi613

Quote from: missavgp on April 24, 2014, 04:27:46 PM
I got a quote for $45 cut to my measurements with the sharp edges sanded down for easier handling from Ottawa Glass Limited. Where would I find that tool Mike?

They sell them at Walmart too...but I find it hard to use when doing an aquarium so I didn't use it when I re-sealed all the seams on my 6 foot 120g tank.
I haz reef tanks.